Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Weird that putting 92 would seemingly fix it. Did the dealer give you any answer? Or did they check it?
They couldn't duplicate problem as I figured. It doesn't happen all the time mostly when its over 90 F outside. Something interesting is when the tech rode with me I asked him couple questions. 1. Does the '21 Hatches have the newest fuel pumps he wasn't sure said the recall campaigns could change and are still ongoing. 2. Does it make a difference performance wise if using a higher octane he said no difference the 2.0 was designed to run on 87 which now I think differently. 3. Because I brought the car in with complaint my name will go on a customers priority list if any new TSB bulletins come out I'll be contacted to bring the car in for any future updates. I thought that was cool.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No 87. Owners manual says 87. Why would I use 91? And owners Manual for 21' Hatch also says 87. Unless he modified the car with forced induction or tuned for 91 octane?
Because the M20a engine runs like complete garbage on 87oct... Regardless of what the manual states, on 87, my engine would be sluggish, have dips in rpm at idle and rough idle at times. 93oct at costco solved all of those issues. I wonder if the Lexus UX200 owners have figure out the same...

Reactions: L3G1T and TTran

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did that happen after several thousand miles or you experience that since the beginning? Did it matter what brand of gas you used?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did that happen after several thousand miles or you experience that since the beginning? Did it matter what brand of gas you used?
I think I really noticed it after 500 miles, then I didn't switch from 87oct costco fuel to 93oct until 2500 miles after the first oil change, now at 18,500 and all is well. I still get the rpm dips at idle and every once in a while the car will die on first start but I suspect it's the crappy fuel pump, VIN still shows no recall for now.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
I noticed if off the lot but I had no intention of keeping 87 in there... only lasted one tank and never looked back... I started putting 91 in there when it was only 1/4 down lol

To be fair the manual states to use fuel with octane rating "no less" than 87, doesn't say to use regular.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
265 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the individual vehicle engine/throttle/CVT system (or some bad batches of gasoline), otherwise every TNGA 2.0L CVT Corolla in the U.S./Canada would be having this sort of noticeable problem - since almost all of them probably use standard 87 fuel as the manual indicates.

Reactions: Dimension C137

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE - CVT
173 Posts
Adjust your seat. Your cushion angle is set too low. raise it.

Trust me. I thought i had something wrong for awhile. I adjusted the seatback angle higher and it solved all my problems immediately.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Adjust your seat. Your cushion angle is set too low. raise it.

Trust me. I thought i had something wrong for awhile. I adjusted the seatback angle higher and it solved all my problems immediately.
Nope

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE - CVT
173 Posts
It’s most likely just a quirk of Drive by wire. I’ve seen it do this on my car before. The throttle position will fluctuate between a small amount if your foot is just BARELY touching the pedal but it’s enough to accelerate even if the pedal position is reading the same value. This is the information I’m reading off of OBDFusion though so who knows. Unless it’s a big surge that you can feel rock like a slipping clutch or something feels like, I wouldn’t worry about it. VVTi could just be switching up during certain scenarios.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts