Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2021 Highlander brake pedal is spong and slowly goes to floor at lights. Took back to dealer he tells me this is normal. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably subjective, but mine feels 'normal'. A bit different than my last ride, but that's to be expected.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Dodge Charger
1,547 Posts
A brake pedal should NEVER go all the way to the floor.
Take it back to the dealer and demand to speak to the service manager or better yet,
take it to another dealership.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A brake pedal should NEVER go all the way to the floor.
Take it back to the dealer and demand to speak to the service manager or better yet,
take it to another dealership.
I don’t recommend “demanding “ things is the way to go. That’s a way to piss people off, when all you are asking for is help. Remember, go test drive another

·
Super Moderator
2020 Dodge Charger
1,547 Posts
I don’t recommend “demanding “ things is the way to go. That’s a way to piss people off, when all you are asking for is help. Remember, go test drive another
I disagree. If the service department told him the pedal going to the floor is normal then I would certainly demand to see someone more knowledable.
If they do not wish to comply, then he can go elsewhere.
It's safety at stake.
I would not be concerned about pissing someone off because their are options.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
464 Posts
A slowly sinking brake pedal to the floor under pressure is usually iundication of an internal leak in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
464 Posts
You can always catch more flys with honey then you can with vinegar.
May work with flies, but not morons. The only way to deal with the former is to equip yourself with a fly swatter; the only way to deal with the latter is to swat them with evidence of a defect specific to your vehicle and demonstrate that you know what you are talking about.

Be on firm ground... there are normal conditions related to a sinking pedal could be when you apply the parking brake or if the HOLD button is depressed which applies brakes with each stop...i.e. with brake pedal pressure in both instances the pedal will drop as brake fluid charges disk pistons to deploy the brake pads and the dropping pedal may only appear to be hitting the floor

Any service manager that has already told a customer that it is normal for a brake pedal to slowly sink to the floor is either a moron or taking the customer for a idiot. So why deal with a known moron? First test ride another in inventory and confirm that it is not a normal condition, then drive it into the service bay to convince the moron that it is not normal Then you have a basis to complaint to the service manager, failing that go into the showroom and seek help from the salesman and sales manger that got your money. (Been there, done that - will pi$$ the service consultant off but it worked for me and as a result the service manager rectified the problem and dealt with me personally thereafter) If they all turn out to be morons and refuse assistance then you don't want that dealer to touch your vehicle in the first place so try another dealer.,

If confirmed, a pedal that gradually sinks and actually contacts the floor/firewall under pressure is definitely a problem that must be addressed

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Highlander LE
9 Posts
I would ask when is that you are feeling this?? Is it possibly the electric parking brake that you are feeling?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got a 2021 Highlander brake pedal is spong and slowly goes to floor at lights. Took back to dealer he tells me this is normal. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
I have a 2021 and I hate the brakes on it. They seem to take excessive effort to make minor stops and if you push hard on the pedal it seems to sink a long way before you hit full resistance. For lack of a better term the brakes feel mushy. If you get really hard on them the car stops rapidly but it seems to take excessive effort compared to other vehicles I’ve owned. I don’t recall it being this way when I first got it a couple months ago but it’s really annoying me now. I really need to drive another one for comparison. Good luck on that though because my local dealer has zero Highlander‘s in stock! 😂

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
954 Posts
I have a 2021 and I hate the brakes on it. They seem to take excessive effort to make minor stops and if you push hard on the pedal it seems to sink a long way before you hit full resistance. For lack of a better term the brakes feel mushy. If you get really hard on them the car stops rapidly but it seems to take excessive effort compared to other vehicles I’ve owned. I don’t recall it being this way when I first got it a couple months ago but it’s really annoying me now. I really need to drive another one for comparison. Good luck on that though because my local dealer has zero Highlander‘s in stock! 😂
In your case I would ask to drive another Highlander.

My brakes feel normal for a modern day car. They are NOT race car brakes. They do not have a super firm feel. They are not great for heal and toe. Not great modulation. But they work just fine.

Mushy brakes or sinking pedal are "usually" a sign there is a problem. It may be as simple as an ABS computer update needed to there is an actual internal hydraulic leak (in the ABS, some valve, master cylinder or who knows....)

My brakes do NOT sink. But they do like to move to the second stage where the engine will automatically turn off if I am not careful (or forget the console switch.)

Brakes are real important and must work right. I can imagine issues with the newest cars due to parts availability and manufacturing issues.

Be sure the brakes really are working right. They are NOT all like that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is yours a hybrid or a regular Highlander? On our 2021 XLE hybrid, I am not a fan of the brakes under certain conditions. It seems light pressure, drifting down a small grade, like we do often to turn onto our street in our plan, the brakes seem to cut out for fractions of second then catch harder than normal. It has been explained on here before that it is the electric braking of the motors switching to the more robust hydraulic braking.....It seems under certain, specific conditions, the switch over is delayed and can freak you out a little bit. It has happened on this downhill in our plan several times, but not every time and it has happened several times at stop signs or traffic lights, on flat grade. I have now started my slow downs a little earlier to compensate.
Could there be a glitch in the software under very specific conditions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts