Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2021 XLE. I'll admit upfront that I'm not very vehicle savvy. I have two questions:

First, I understand that the recent rash of catalytic converter thefts have mostly targeted the Prius; is the 2021 Highlander Hybrid designed in such a way that the catalytic converter is equally vulnerable? Is the catalytic converter just as accessible as the Prius, or is it better protected any any way?

Second, has anyone investigated any methods of protection? I understand that there are a few options for shielding or strapping the cat, but I'm interested if anyone has had any first or second-hand experience with these options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Highlander LE Hybrid AWD - Magnetic Grey
149 Posts
Well, its sad, i hate these theft. To awnser your question, i think they won't have trouble at all to get a highlander one since it have more ground clearance than the prius. They just need to raise it a bit, and they go under and strip it down ( i think they literraly cut it from the exhaust line). I don't know if its really possible to protect it from theft exept from bolting a complete under body armor, which can be way more expensive that the cat itself. They usually so well organised that they do this in only few minutes, like 1 or 2. Thankfull they are not so active in my area, and i wish it will stay this way.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander LE Hybrid AWD - Magnetic Grey
149 Posts
I just found this, its called catclamp, maybe it can help, its less expensive than a full underbody armor and also less expansive than a converter, but i don't know if it will really stop thieves. Maybe it have more of a detering effect, if it take them 15 minutes, they will go to the next one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts