Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2021 Highlander XLE Hybrid in January but it does not have Kick Sensor. Can I install one? Where can I find it and how much does it cost? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
The kick sensor ("liftgate motion sensor") is $782 MSRP. The bracket to hold it is another $62.

But you probably need a lot more than that to make it work. No clue if the wiring is there to plug it into; I doubt it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Following, but I am not optimistic as it’s not in our XLE programming.
I just looked up on Toyota website and found that all Highlander Hybrid models, regardless of trims/years do not have kick sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2021 Limited Hybrid that has the kick open feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
OP's Highlander MIGHT have the kick sensor wring harness already, just needs to buy the missing parts.
Only way to know is to take the rear bumper cover off to get to the wiring harness.

I would NOT be surprised if OP can add the OEM kicksensor, as two people have done to their RAV4 in this post.
I bet the Highlander OEM bumpers are all made to accommodate the kick sensor wire, irregardless of the vehicle having that option or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP's Highlander MIGHT have the kick sensor wring harness already, just needs to buy the missing parts.
Only way to know is to take the rear bumper cover off to get to the wiring harness.

I would NOT be surprised if OP can add the OEM kicksensor, as two people have done to their RAV4 in this post.
I bet the Highlander OEM bumpers are all made to accommodate the kick sensor wire, irregardless of the vehicle having that option or not.
Thank you for the info. I will check with Toyota dealer when I bring it it for the 5K miles service next month.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The dealer will MOST likely say no. It was never priced as an "accessory" at the time of purchase. Therefore MOST likely NOT offer it as an accessory AFTER purchase. A better dealer MIGHT entertain it.

You will be best served to DIY, if you have some mechanical aptitude.

If you can't DIY, I would call 4xr shops to do a lot of modifications to Highlanders. Tell them what you want (install the OEM kicks sorry wiring to the car). This would be EASY for them to do vs the 4x4 mods. This of course assumes your Highlander has the harness already there, and just waiting for the kick sensor wiring to plug into.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
It certainly requires you to master the correct technique. I didn't think I needed it when I bought the car. Now I use it regularly. Works great for me. I don't know if I'd drop over $800 on the parts to add it after the fact, though, if it can even be done. For that kind of money, you'd be better off buying the higher trim level at the time of purchase if you really wanted it.

I agree with the other posts above about asking the dealer. While a small number of dealers might be able to think outside the box like that, most would never sanction trying to add something that isn't meant to be an accessory. The dealer will probably say no. You'd have to do some homework yourself to figure out if the wiring connection is there to accept the sensor. Talk to the parts people instead of the service department, and you might find someone who can help look through some diagrams to explore the feasibility.

It may not be a safe assumption that the bumper already has whatever you need to attach the bracket. The lower bumper cover is different on Limited and Platinum because it's a different color. If you put on the OEM hitch, then you need different part numbers again for the replacement bumper cover (with the notch in it for the hitch) for Limited and Platinum, for the color and the relocated kick sensor attachment.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You are not missing too much. Is somehow erratic and about 5% of the time you will really need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kick forward and then back. It works 100% for me with that technique. Don't wave your foot under the sensor from side to side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer will MOST likely say no. It was never priced as an "accessory" at the time of purchase. Therefore MOST likely NOT offer it as an accessory AFTER purchase. A better dealer MIGHT entertain it.

You will be best served to DIY, if you have some mechanical aptitude.

If you can't DIY, I would call 4xr shops to do a lot of modifications to Highlanders. Tell them what you want (install the OEM kicks sorry wiring to the car). This would be EASY for them to do vs the 4x4 mods. This of course assumes your Highlander has the harness already there, and just waiting for the kick sensor wiring to plug into.
Thank you for the information. There will be risk than benefit if I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts