Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2015 Highlander LE Plus
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's already almost April 2020 and my dealer still doesn't have the HL I want, I am considering waiting and ordering a fresh 2021 model. Anyone have a clue when they'll be in production? Will it be late Summer, early Fall, or late December? I'm thinking the release dates of the 2015-2019 models would maybe give some indication?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
When they don't make any feature or design changes (or only very minor changes) it is usually September or October. Given that the 2020 is a brand new design, there shouldn't many changes that would delay the release.

However, the plants are shut down now due the COVID-19, and I don't know if that could affect their plans.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since they are late arriving for 2020, I'm thinking the 2021 will be later than usual. The XSE is due in the Fall, so that is next in line.

·
straight cash homie
20,220 Posts
Since it's already almost April 2020 and my dealer still doesn't have the HL I want, I am considering waiting and ordering a fresh 2021 model. Anyone have a clue when they'll be in production? Will it be late Summer, early Fall, or late December? I'm thinking the release dates of the 2015-2019 models would maybe give some indication?

The order deadline for the MY20 Highlander is listed as May 11th. However, you'd do better asking your dealer as dates could have changed because of the virus.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The virus could change everything. By the time the 2021 comes out, the scare could be over. It is a fact that if you shop now, you will get a much bigger discount than on a fresh 2021 that is probably very little changed. In a month (and maybe even on April 1), there will be 0% for 72 and maybe even 84 on all new cars. I would find a different dealer. A competent dealer can find you what you want, and before it hits the ground at another dealer (something I wouldn't touch). But things might be different in the GST region.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discounts will go well into the next year. It will take months for the car industry to recover, and they will be offering plenty of discounts I say through the rest of 2020.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Since they are late arriving for 2020, I'm thinking the 2021 will be later than usual. The XSE is due in the Fall, so that is next in line.
The 2020 was late because the all-new model was not finished on schedule. If there are no changes in 2021, there is no problem in finishing anything.

However, since the plants are shut down now, that could delay all their timetables and delay the 2021 models, but it would be for a completely different reason than for the delay in the all-new 2020 models.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Between Toyota taking forever to bring MY20 to dealer lots, Coronavirus, and factory shutdowns now, I would say nobody knows anything and all bets are off the table.

·
2015 Highlander LE Plus
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Available deals aren't much of factor for me since I'm getting employee pricing from the dealer. My concern was buying a 2020 and then the 2021s come out soon after and already my new vehicle is "one year old".

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you know it's a HL you want, and not an XSE, get the 2020 if you can find what you want. Life is short. The 2021 will be no different except for a higher price and it may be late to market for a number of reasons. Go to toyota.com and check inventory in your region. Your dealer can get most of those vehicles if (s)he wants to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2019 RAV4 was about a month later in the year than 2020 HL and the 2020 RAV4 came out in September I think, so 2019 was a short year for RAV4, but there was also no Corona or shutdown.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ever wonder what we all would do with no change at all from year to year?
To me even a minor change after one year is just a excuse to raise the prices.
Why change anything if it's not broken?

I always laugh when I see a ad that reads: "Redesign or improved interior."
WHAT? the old interior changed color at midnight ??????
Or a redesign pickup truck. It has two head lights, two tail lights,
and a 8' box, what the hell can be redesign beside front and back??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ever wonder what we all would do with no change at all from year to year?
To me even a minor change after one year is just a excuse to raise the prices.
Why change anything if it's not broken?

WHAT? the old interior changed color at midnight ??????
Or a redesign pickup truck. It has two head lights, two tail lights,
and a 8' box, what the hell can be redesign beside front and back??
Maybe they could start this : 2020 -2025 Highlander, Camry etc. :) Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The virus could change everything. By the time the 2021 comes out, the scare could be over. It is a fact that if you shop now, you will get a much bigger discount than on a fresh 2021 that is probably very little changed. In a month (and maybe even on April 1), there will be 0% for 72 and maybe even 84 on all new cars. I would find a different dealer. A competent dealer can find you what you want, and before it hits the ground at another dealer (something I wouldn't touch). But things might be different in the GST region.
That is if they do 0% for 72/84 months. If they do that, I will change my interior color option as two dealers have one I will accept in MoonDust.

·
2015 Highlander LE Plus
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you know it's a HL you want, and not an XSE, get the 2020 if you can find what you want. Life is short. The 2021 will be no different except for a higher price and it may be late to market for a number of reasons. Go to toyota.com and check inventory in your region. Your dealer can get most of those vehicles if (s)he wants to.
The dealership general manager is my contact and he knows what I want, he says they "don't see one on the ground yet nor is there one at a dealer they can trade with". The Toyota website inventory search tool shows 17 vehicles for almost any zip code I enter for several large metro areas in Texas and a few in other states. I don't trust the Toyota website search tool very much at all. Of the bunch of metro areas I tried, only South Florida showed vehicles that were actually available at dealerships and dates of soon-to-be arriving vehicles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The dealership general manager is my contact and he knows what I want, he says they "don't see one on the ground yet nor is there one at a dealer they can trade with". The Toyota website inventory search tool shows 17 vehicles for almost any zip code I enter for several large metro areas in Texas and a few in other states. I don't trust the Toyota website search tool very much at all. Of the bunch of metro areas I tried, only South Florida showed vehicles that were actually available at dealerships and dates of soon-to-be arriving vehicles.
I guess I'm curious about what you are looking for that is so hard to find. I guess I was fortunate. There was only one Hybrid XLE close to what I wanted within 300 miles and my dealer traded for it four days before it was produced. Apparently the bench seat with nav is a tough combo to get. You can't even build it on toyota.com.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
The build tool and the inventory search tool on Toyota's Web site are connected. You can only "build" what's in your area, so the build tool doesn't reflect all of the possibilities.

If the dealer can't find exactly what you want in the pipeline, are you willing to wait for the factory to build one? It would probably get to the dealer 2-3 months after the factory restarts, whenever that is. If you're willing to wait, you might be better off having them commit to that instead of constantly checking to see if there's one available somewhere.

If you're willing to wait but the dealer isn't willing to place an order, then you need to find another dealer. Toyota's process for dealers to order specific cars is goofy and is still influenced in part by the distribution system they created decades ago, and for some reason some dealers just don't want to play along with it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
According to the Element Fleet site production of 2021 will start on Aug 30, 2020. This site has been pretty accurate before and vehicles usually start trickling in to the dealers about six to eight weeks after the start of production.

Build-outs and Start-ups - Element Fleet Management

element 2021.jpg

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Florida dealers buy Toyota's from Southeast Toyota regional distributor. For Texas dealers that would be Gulf States Toyota. Neither of those two distributors are owned by Toyota Motor, but all the other regional distributors are owned by Toyota.

So it is definitely possible that the regional distributors handle inventory reporting differently on the Toyota website. Some distributors want you to know they can redirect a particular VIN (not yet delivered) to another dealer in their region if it is requested by the dealer. That is why a single VIN can show up for multiple dealers. Those decisons are made by the regional distributor, not Toyota Motor.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Almost all manufacturers come out with a mid-cycle refresh after 2-3 years. Tail light changes are usually done at that time to make it look different.

But 2021 Toyota HL will only be in 2nd year of the cycle (brand new in 2020), so unlikely that many changes will be made. But Toyota makes manufacturing line changes continuously if there is a problem, sometimes using new improved versions of certain parts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts