Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2021 Sienna platinum FWD and so far been disappointed with the MPG performance. I know the EPA ratings are never really reality, but reading reviews was expecting numbers 36+ where I'm averaging 31MPG across city and mixed highway around 65 MPH.

It's also middle of winter so car does have to run the engine more frequently to warm the car, but was curious what other kinds of numbers folks were seeing.

·
Registered
2018 Camry SE
305 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 Sienna platinum FWD and so far been disappointed with the MPG performance. I know the EPA ratings are never really reality, but reading reviews was expecting numbers 36+ where I'm averaging 31MPG across city and mixed highway around 65 MPH.

It's also middle of winter so car does have to run the engine more frequently to warm the car, but was curious what other kinds of numbers folks were seeing.
give the vehicle system a chance to break-in and "learn" your driving style. also, winter blend gas results in lower mpg's. finally, depending on location, winter cold weather affects hybrid performance. your mpg's should pick up as the miles accumulate and the weather warms up.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
1,082 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 Sienna platinum FWD and so far been disappointed with the MPG performance. I know the EPA ratings are never really reality, but reading reviews was expecting numbers 36+ where I'm averaging 31MPG across city and mixed highway around 65 MPH. It's also middle of winter so car does have to run the engine more frequently to warm the car, but was curious what other kinds of numbers folks were seeing.
Let's see, a brand new engine, unknown miles on it, driving literally in the dead of winter, using winter blend gasoline, likely lower than suggested air pressures in the tires, and the ICE running more often to keep the cabin warm, right? You also didn't specify whether your miles per gallon is the computer calculation, or a manual calculation.

I'd say there's enough variables that your 31 MPG is very believeable, and likely not out of reasonable expectations.

Here's a free app you can use to track your and others actual reported mileage: Toyota Sienna MPG - Actual MPG from 2,586 Toyota Sienna owners I think it costs something like $5 a year if you want the top version, which can be used for as many vehicles as you want.

I'd suggest let the engine break in, make sure the gasoiline is a Top Tier blend, and make sure eveything's in spec as the owner's manual suggests.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, - RAV4 silver /Black
642 Posts
For what it is worth, my MPG drops by almost 10 on our HL Limited Gas model, during the winter months. So expecting 36 is silly in y eyes during the winter months, and oh, yeah, I'd love to see 31, city I'm averaging 15-17 highway 20-22 during the winter. We'll be taking a longer trip in a few weeks (Maine to VA) so I'll get a better idea on Highway MPG than.

·
Registered
642 Posts
First long trip (300 miles) I achieved 39.4 but I drive like an old man.
That’s great. Anytime you can get more than the estimated mpg is great, now the question is was this city, city highway, stop and go and your average mph. There have been times when I was getting GREAT mpg, at 35 mph, but once I got back on the highway and hit 70-80mph it dropped back to what is should be

·
Registered
642 Posts
First long trip (300 miles) I achieved 39.4 but I drive like an old man.
300 miles isn't a long trip - for me. Me and our grandson have driven 400 miles for lunch and a few games of frisbee golf:)

We will be taken a nice short drive in a few weeks (Maine to Quantico and then 2 weeks later doing it again:))

·
Registered
7 Posts

You have to drive like grandpa. Accelerate gently to get up to speed and then lift your foot for a second and the economy needle will drop back. Try to keep the eco needle out of the power range at all times. Start applying the brakes a good distance from a stop sign or traffic light to maximize regenerative braking and come to a gradual stop. Avoid higher speeds (I try not to exceed 55 or 60). I am now at 34.5 and improving as I learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some mpg tips from Consumer Reports:

A recent CR test shows this: We measured gas mileage while driving at a steady 55, 65, and 75 mph in a Nissan Altima and Toyota RAV4. We found that reducing speed from 65 mph to 55 mph improved fuel economy by 6 mpg in the Altima and 8 mpg in the RAV4. The penalty of cruising at 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, was almost 7 mpg in the Altima and 6 mpg in the RAV4. Higher speeds exact a toll in fuel consumption. Another way to look at it: Speeding up from 55 to 75 mph is like moving from a compact car to a large SUV. Beyond fuel concerns, speeding is, of course, a safety risk.
Aerodynamics matter: Remove roof racks when they are not being used. At highway speeds, more than 50 percent of engine power goes to overcoming aerodynamic drag. Don’t add to that by carrying unneeded things on the roof. We did fuel-economy tests at highway speed on a Nissan Altima and Toyota RAV4 with a roof rack, a tail-hitch rack, and a rooftop box. Carrying two mountain bikes on the roof had the biggest impact. The Altima lost 13 mpg, going from 46 mpg to 33 mpg. The RAV4 lost 7 mpg, dropping to 32 mpg from 39 mpg. There’s even a loss when driving with an empty roof rack: The Altima dropped 5 mpg, and the Toyota lost 2 mpg. The Nissan lost 12 mpg with the bikes on the hitch-mounted rack, while the RAV4 was down only 5 mpg. The bikes stuck out beyond the sides of the sedan, which created extra drag. They were mostly hidden behind the wider, boxier RAV4’s bodywork. The rooftop box resulted in a 9 mpg decrease for the Altima and a 5 mpg drop for the RAV4. Overall, the aerodynamic drag doesn’t hurt the more boxy RAV4 as much as the sleeker Altima.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brand new with about 135 miles and the display says 36.9 MPG. Mostly rural roads @40-55 MPH plus some freeway @60 and around town @20-30. I accelerate slowly, drive steadily, and use cruise control 90% of the time. I not only drive like an old person, I am an old person. YMMV!

Edit: Getting better. At 340 miles 38.5 MPG overall average. Shooting for 40.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although winter use can affect it, I think it's driving style/technique rather than winter use.

My average was around 38mpg last summer. It's down to 36 after this past winter.

You have to be patient getting up to speed. You want to feather the gas pedal. Cruise control on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I purchased a 21 last Sept. we are getting really good mileage. You definitely can’t drive it normally and expect great mileage. I don’t push It around town. Always try to keep the white circular bar above the green on the dash. We typically get 36 ish mpg. Around town If you are a fanatic you can get 40pg plus. Driving economically becomes second nature after awhile. Always in eco mode. Also always start over from zero mpg dash readout every time you begin trip. One time we went from north Louisiana to Little Rock and got 40mpg. Highway and city. Highways on that trip were 60-65. Anything highway abv 70 mph will lower mileage. The trick is deciding that you will drive the car conservatively and eventually it becomes second nature. I’ve noticed that driving the speed limit everywhere will always get the best mileage which im sure is the way Toyota would measure mpg. I typically drive about 75 mph in interstate here and get 34.6 or higher. Kind of hilly. Car mpg does suck when the engine is cold. We are very happy with the van.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have the all-wheel drive system, not front wheel drive, but two points that might help you. First, when I flip the switch to economy mode, rather than normal or sport mode, I get better fuel mileage, right around 40 miles per gallon average, combined local and highway. Second, I also experienced much lower gas mileage in the winter. I think this just due to the lesser performance of your HV battery in cold weather. When the weather warmed back up my fuel mileage increased.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
856 Posts
One thing that would help those that live in wintery states is block heater. I installed it in my old Sienna with 2FR-FE V6 bcs. engine warm up was horrid and took forever to start heat although car was parked in garage.
I bought it at NAPA for $75 and local Toyota dealership installed it.
My garage temperature never fell below 40f but without heater oil temperature (reading through OBD) would start around 50 and with heater close to 90f. I think in hybrid combo this is much more important as there is sudden on demand engine utilization and oil is dead cold. It will help with mpg too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 AWD Toyota Sienna XSE, Hybrid
13 Posts
That’s great. Anytime you can get more than the estimated mpg is great, now the question is was this city, city highway, stop and go and your average mph. There have been times when I was getting GREAT mpg, at 35 mph, but once I got back on the highway and hit 70-80mph it dropped back to what is should be
Same here, mpg dropped when I drove highway miles compared to city miles. Maybe the EV mode jumps on more frequently in city driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts