·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All new Siennas are 4-cylinder hybrids, available AWD, 3500 lb towing, up to 33 MPG, available refrigerator and 1500-watt inverter, lots of other interesting stuff

·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,971 Posts
..... ugly....
I wonder how it will look in person. It seems like I've thought that all newer Toyota models were ugly when I first saw them online, but they were much better looking in person. In the press release, the front end isn't bad (better than the 2018-20 models)... but the back end really is something that is weird. Hopefully it looks better in person.

I still think that the 2013-17 models look great. I'm not a fan of the 2018-20 models and their huge front end openings.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,630 Posts
The rear looks like a scrunched up Supra and stretched upward. It even has a slight hump like the Supra.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
690 Posts
Looks nice from the side, IMO --- like a Highlander. Not a huge fan of the front or back. But, maybe the styling will grow on me. I also thought most of Toyotas that came out in the last 5ish years have been kinda ugly at first.

Reactions: twinster2

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,630 Posts
Looks nice from the side, IMO --- like a Highlander. Not a huge fan of the front or back. But, maybe the styling will grow on me. I also thought most of Toyotas that came out in the last 5ish years have been kinda ugly at first.
When the current Prius design came out 3 years ago, it was a huge "WTF" moment. Now, it has grown on me but I still would not buy one, maybe the Prius Prime but not the normal Prius.

This new Sienna design will definitely grow on me as I'm already digging the side profile and headlights. The rear is going to take some time only because of that weird hump mid-line and the fake vents that they borrowed from the camry. The rear quarter fender flare is a nice touch, makes it look more aggressive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Finally !!! A hybrid Sienna. Concerns are headroom will be lower and that it won't hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Hoping I'm wrong...!!!

Greg

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
756 Posts
I wonder how it will look in person. It seems like I've thought that all newer Toyota models were ugly when I first saw them online, but they were much better looking in person. In the press release, the front end isn't bad (better than the 2018-20 models)... but the back end really is something that is weird. Hopefully it looks better in person.

I still think that the 2013-17 models look great. I'm not a fan of the 2018-20 models and their huge front end openings.
Yes Toyota does love the "whale mouth" look. And yes I agree that the 2013-17 looks the best.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
215 Posts
It's tempting. Going to need a larger ski car...

Too bad it doesn't have the 12" screen from the Highlander Platinum (and available on Limited).

Also a panoramic sunroof snob, so I hope it has dual sunroofs.

I wonder if it's going to have the birds eye view camera and camera rear view mirror also?

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,971 Posts
I really think that going hybrid for all Siennas is a huge mistake for Toyota. I like Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive (My wife has a Camry Hybrid and we love it) but I really don't think that the vast majority of consumers want a hybrid. Despite the reliability of Toyota's system, there are still a lot of people who fear owning a hybrid due to the complexity and the possible expense of replacing the battery in the long run. A lot of those fears are not logical (my wife's 2007 Camry is still chuggin' along at 180,000 miles with all original parts- minus fluids, tires, and rear brakes), but there are a lot of people who won't want to buy a hybrid.

I think that Toyota should have at least offered the 3.5L V6 as an engine option along with the new hybrid powertrain for a few years. Even if that 3.5L is on its way out, it's still going to be in production for another couple of years at least. Maybe offer the hybrid as a no-cost option in the Gen 4 Sienna and then go all-hybrid in the Gen 5 Sienna once they have 5-8 years of people driving the hybrid versions with few problems.

If you look at Toyota's other hybrid options- they all represent a small percentage of the model's overall sales. Most Camry, Rav4, and Highlander Hybrids are easily outsold by the gas-only counterparts. Toyota's only hybrid-only car, the Prius, has been sinking in the sales department for years.

Reactions: twinster2

·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the current Prius design came out 3 years ago, it was a huge "WTF" moment. Now, it has grown on me but I still would not buy one, maybe the Prius Prime but not the normal Prius.
Prius is still ugly; personally I'd rather get an Ioniq. Even if the Ioniq gets less MPG (comparable or better), I'd never get over the styling of the Prius.
I really think that going hybrid for all Siennas is a huge mistake for Toyota. I like Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive (My wife has a Camry Hybrid and we love it) but I really don't think that the vast majority of consumers want a hybrid. Despite the reliability of Toyota's system, there are still a lot of people who fear owning a hybrid due to the complexity and the possible expense of replacing the battery in the long run. A lot of those fears are not logical (my wife's 2007 Camry is still chuggin' along at 180,000 miles with all original parts- minus fluids, tires, and rear brakes), but there are a lot of people who won't want to buy a hybrid.

I think that Toyota should have at least offered the 3.5L V6 as an engine option along with the new hybrid powertrain for a few years. Even if that 3.5L is on its way out, it's still going to be in production for another couple of years at least. Maybe offer the hybrid as a no-cost option in the Gen 4 Sienna and then go all-hybrid in the Gen 5 Sienna once they have 5-8 years of people driving the hybrid versions with few problems.

If you look at Toyota's other hybrid options- they all represent a small percentage of the model's overall sales. Most Camry, Rav4, and Highlander Hybrids are easily outsold by the gas-only counterparts. Toyota's only hybrid-only car, the Prius, has been sinking in the sales department for years.
I think there would be enough traditional buyers that would want the NA V6 powertrain, but IDK, I guess Toyota is trying to push their Hybrid agenda (not giving Sienna buyers a choice) since they don't have any pure EVs. They already said no Prime model at this time.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
690 Posts
Yeah, I think Toyota is trying to push its Hybrid agenda. I don't know if sales will suffer though. When the 2014 Corolla came out with the CVT, Toyota offered the old 4 speed auto as an option on the L trim for a few years but it seemed like the vast majority of buyers were not concerned about the CVT.

Toyota definitely doesn't care about my opinion since I typically buy my cars used, but this might be enough to push me to getting an Odyssey/Pilot over a Sienna.

·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I think Toyota is trying to push its Hybrid agenda. I don't know if sales will suffer though. When the 2014 Corolla came out with the CVT, Toyota offered the old 4 speed auto as an option on the L trim for a few years but it seemed like the vast majority of buyers were not concerned about the CVT.

Toyota definitely doesn't care about my opinion since I typically buy my cars used, but this might be enough to push me to getting an Odyssey/Pilot over a Sienna.
That might also be the case here for the Sienna, buyers could care less what Toyota transmission in it, though maybe the hybrid powertrain might scare some buyers. I suppose they have the research that going away from the V6 isn't going to be an issue for most. They did that with the RAV4 too. IMO, if going used, there's going to be plenty of the outgoing model available.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,630 Posts

Be prepared for transmission issues.

Every Odyssey owners I've known all had some issues with their transmissions and electrical gremlins.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,591 Posts
Be prepared for transmission issues.

Every Odyssey owners I've known all had some issues with their transmissions and electrical gremlins.
As far as I can tell Indians are madly in love with Odysseys, 3/4 of Odyssey drivers in DFW are from "that" region and they don't buy unreliable cars.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
690 Posts
As far as I can tell Indians are madly in love with Odysseys, 3/4 of Odyssey drivers in DFW are from "that" region and they don't buy unreliable cars.
Indians in my area (NJ) are also madly in love with Odysseys. There's definitely a trend there. The Chinese I know seem to prefer the Sienna though. The 07+ Odyssey has a much stronger transmission than the failure prone 99-06 models, but the Sienna's transmission is near bulletproof. The Odyssey is also more prone to random electrical issues. But I don't think the Odyssey is an unreliable car. We'll see how my newly purchased 07 Odyssey holds up over time. I'm pleased with it so far, but maybe next time I will get a Sienna. I just wish there was a freaking transmission dipstick on the newer ones so I could easily drain and fill the ATF.

·
straight cash homie
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude, whomever the sales person was at the Honda dealer that sold the vehicle must've made no commission since Indians drive a hard bargain. Same goes for Toyota sales guys that sell them Camrys.

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
690 Posts
Dude, whomever the sales person was at the Honda dealer that sold the vehicle must've made no commission since Indians drive a hard bargain. Same goes for Toyota sales guys that sell them Camrys.
Haha, I guess they sell so many of them that they can afford to cut the commission on each. Maybe that's the real reason they all decide to buy the same car!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts