Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it's because of the built-in airbags and the seats would be too heavy.
I wonder how "non-removable" is defined. I think this must mean that there is no built-in latch mechanism to easily remove and replace the seats. I'm hoping it's just a matter of disconnecting the airbags and unbolting the seats to remove them and that they are not welded in place. And then of course there will be the resulting computer airbag warnings to contend with. Perhaps the circuit can be shorted or something to fool the computer. But then this will probably void the warranty. Ugh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When will Toyota release more info on the 2021? Sure would be nice to have some more details rather than just photo's, etc. I'd like to see specifics on trims, clearance, etc., etc. It seems like they've missed a chance to keep some momentum going with/after the announcement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reveals, like the 2021 Sienna, are all about "creating hype". It's common for there to be long periods after early announcements before any more details are available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reveals, like the 2021 Sienna, are all about "creating hype". It's common for there to be long periods after early announcements before any more details are available.
I guess they miss an opportunity to release info over time (IMHO).

·
AllThingsToyotaEnthusiast
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
407 Posts
If the Sienna gets adopted to the Lexus platform, I'm almost certain the 'AWD Prime' power train will be standard for the Lexus and probably won't ever be an option on this Sienna Gen. The Lexus might also have the V6 option as well, but probably not V6 AWD <-- that will be in the Lexus Prime's offering. The Lexus version probably won't happen till Sienna mid-cycle refresh of 2023/4-ish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If the Sienna gets adopted to the Lexus platform, I'm almost certain the 'AWD Prime' power train will be standard for the Lexus and probably won't ever be an option on this Sienna Gen. The Lexus might also have the V6 option as well, but probably not V6 AWD <-- that will be in the Lexus Prime's offering. The Lexus version probably won't happen till Sienna mid-cycle refresh of 2023/4-ish.
Lexus version of what? TNGA?

·
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
407 Posts
Also, we are pretty much dead set on getting a 2017+ AWD V6 version to replace my 1998 GMC Yukon which barely has enough power in the 5.7L V8 to tow my '86 20-ft. boat. (250HP/300T new; probably 75% of that now) It's tough to match the 3.5L's abilities and near bullet-proof-ness. MPG will of course be better with the Hybrid, but we just simply can't afford new anytime soon. The 2017+ engine updates are looking better and better every day including the standard size 2" tow hitch. Just a shame it's next to impossible to find an SE AWD V6 version with black leather interior. Those are nearly exclusively V6 FWD and those that were able to buy one are holding onto them - I don't blame them at all as that would be a dream ride.

·
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
407 Posts
Lexus version of what? TNGA?
I have no clue what they'd call it but it would just be a carry-over of the Sienna on Lexus styling. This is a pretty common approach. Avalon --> Lexus ES350 is the most recognized adaptation but there are many.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have no clue what they'd call it but it would just be a carry-over of the Sienna on Lexus styling. This is a pretty common approach. Avalon --> Lexus ES350 is the most recognized adaptation but there are many.
Oh you mean a Lexus minivan?! That would be amazing. I hadn't heard anything about that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really think that going hybrid for all Siennas is a huge mistake for Toyota. I like Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive (My wife has a Camry Hybrid and we love it) but I really don't think that the vast majority of consumers want a hybrid. Despite the reliability of Toyota's system, there are still a lot of people who fear owning a hybrid due to the complexity and the possible expense of replacing the battery in the long run. A lot of those fears are not logical (my wife's 2007 Camry is still chuggin' along at 180,000 miles with all original parts- minus fluids, tires, and rear brakes), but there are a lot of people who won't want to buy a hybrid.

I think that Toyota should have at least offered the 3.5L V6 as an engine option along with the new hybrid powertrain for a few years. Even if that 3.5L is on its way out, it's still going to be in production for another couple of years at least. Maybe offer the hybrid as a no-cost option in the Gen 4 Sienna and then go all-hybrid in the Gen 5 Sienna once they have 5-8 years of people driving the hybrid versions with few problems.

If you look at Toyota's other hybrid options- they all represent a small percentage of the model's overall sales. Most Camry, Rav4, and Highlander Hybrids are easily outsold by the gas-only counterparts. Toyota's only hybrid-only car, the Prius, has been sinking in the sales department for years.
We buy it before the gas price hits the $5 again.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts