Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Avalon Touring, 2001 Toyota Camry Solara
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first official ownership of a Toyota began with the purchase of a 2001 Toyota Camry Solara this past June for my high school graduate who had gotten a full ride scholarship to his school choice. I was headed to lunch and the dealership had it marked special for $6895. I ate my burritos and checked it out on their website and was surprised when it showed 1 owner, a pristine interior, 76000 miles, and listed for $5400. I walked over, checked it out, and bought it for him. Yup, I was impressed! Almost love it as much as if it were my own. My wife and I both have 2014 vehicles purchased new (a charger and a jeep) and they are getting up in the miles - her Dodge 160k and my Jeep 230k. I know with inventory shortages its not the best time to make a purchase but what the heck, I decided to jump in and one thing was sure, I wanted a big sedan, not an SUV and she wasn't going to let me get away with a vette just yet. My two vehicles of choice, the CT6 and the Town Car are no longer made so then it became what's going to fit the bill. I was thinking a certified CT6, Panamera, or S560. And then I thought about the Solara I'd just bought and remembered that once I wanted (the 3rd gen) Avalon and decided to check it out. At this point, I'd only seen 4th generation models and when I pulled up the website, there was the 2021 and the rest is history so to say.

It was clear that I wanted either a limited or the touring - and it's probably crazy to say but from the start, the headlights and taillights on these two did the trick. I had a color combo in mind - Midnight Black with the two tone cognac/black interior. The more I looked at the images, the Touring was the one that really did it for me. Locally, there wasn't any Avalons on the lot, but using Capital One's navigator, I was able to find one in transit to a dealer in Savannah (about 2 hours away). It was the right color combo, Touring model, and had just arrived on the truck when I called. I did all the paperwork online and within an hour everything was approved and then it was just a matter of getting there to sign off and pick it up. Luckily my dealer offered to deliver it and that Friday, they drove it to my house. Done deal / easiest new car purchase I've ever made - and I've made quite a few. I've not seen many other black gen 5's, other than one of my wife's friends who got hers after me and she had to drive to Pennysylvania to get hers. Most of what I see in the state are Limited/XLE's. I did notice the local dealer had a black TRD this week though.

Since purchase, I've only added the mudguards, NINTE spoiler over the rear window, bodyside molding, and blue MGP caliper covers. I did replace my carpet mats with weathertech ones. I'm going back and forth on dashcam / radar-laser detector, but have just about settled on the Fitcamx dedicated 4k cam for Avalon and will probably pickup an extra matching rim for a full sized spare in the trunk. I am debating running about a 1/2 blue stripe around the bottom to match the caliper covers. I want it to be similar to the red stripe around the bottom of the TRD, only blue.

Regrets - not really. I'm still playing around with the drivers seat adjustment, may add pads to cushion the sides of my legs against the door and center column. I would like a way to have Sport + be my default driving mode (lazy, I know - and maybe I don't truly need that :) )

It was funny that the local dealer didn't want to consider a negotiation vs sticker price and wanted to know what it would take to get me to buy "right now" when he didn't have a single Avalon on the lot and the one that he pulled up didn't match the color combo I wanted.

So here we go, my 2021 Toyota Avalon Touring in Midnight Black with Cognac/Black interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its for all models. You can order it and it comes pre-painted to match the body color. My car didn't come with it, but the dealer I've adopted as my Toyota dealer has a body shop as well and they installed it in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, its for all models. You can order it and it comes pre-painted to match the body color. My car didn't come with it, but the dealer I've adopted as my Toyota dealer has a body shop as well and they installed it in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey, thanks! I just ordered the molding. My car has the door edge guards, but not the side molding. Last night, in a parking garage, despite parking in the North-40, a car was a little closer than I liked.
I have an account with Toyota Parts Deal Online, they had the same price. (Attitude Black)

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
822 Posts
Very nice, I also have the Cognac interior, but on a Limited there isn't the two tones on the seats that a Touring obviously has on it. The dash cam is a great idea, especially if you can get one with a parking mode, that will record if/when some idiot in a parking lot or on the street gets too close and dings that beautiful paint job. I have a Black Vue DR750- from a few years ago now, and it has been flawless. All you need are the lighted door sills, and your set!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, I also have the Cognac interior, but on a Limited there isn't the two tones on the seats that a Touring obviously has on it. The dash cam is a great idea, especially if you can get one with a parking mode, that will record if/when some idiot in a parking lot or on the street gets too close and dings that beautiful paint job. I have a Black Vue DR750- from a few years ago now, and it has been flawless. All you need are the lighted door sills, and your set!
Thanks. Can you show a photo of your mounting for the Black Vue and were you able to hard wire it in. Thought about sills but haven't looked into what is involved with installation. The standard ones included with the Touring seem fine, but wouldn't mind lighted if they are an easy install.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
822 Posts
I just paid Best Buy $50 to do the install for me. They wired it through the headliner down the A-pillar, to the fuse box. Pretty straight forward. It has a voltage monitor that shuts the camera off if the battery voltage drops below 12.5. Works great, especially when parked, which is when most of the damage from other people seems to happen.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coming from the bottom of chrome edge around the windows, rough measurements for the two doors
Front door - towards front wheel ~ 14.25" down
Front door - towards passenger door ~ 14.25" down
Passenger door - towards front door ~ 14.5" down
Passenger door - towards rear tire ~ 15" down
attached are the instructions but noticed those measurements are in mm, and start from the bottom edge of the door
Some conversions
319.6 = 12.58"
320.6 = 12.62"
680 = 26.77"
60 = 2.36"
319.5 = 12.58"
308.6 = 12.15"
1080 = 42.52"
80 = 3.15"

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tech tips and info! I installed my moldings this evening. Had to use the wife on the level and tape mark assistance.. A little nerve racking,but they are on!
Congrats, but we have a saying where I'm from - If I didn't see it, I don't believe, just kidding but gon and show us :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally pushed the button and ordered a D3 tuner for this one. Only planning to use the 87 tune to see what differences there are with the shifting. Definitely don't see myself using the 93 octane ones :) but I would like to see if they work and if I can wring out a little more performance out of my Avalon. Will report back once it gets here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts