Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I had tried to fill my tank from low fuel warning (~2.6 gal) to top off is around 12-12.5 gal with multiple gas stations. Toyota spec said the tank capacity is 17.1 gal which is couple gallons off for my car. I am not sure whether the gauge has issue or tank shape is problematic that prevented to get 17.1 gal. I submitted ticket to NHTSA for this issue and saw many people posted the same issue. I called Toyota today to create a case for this issue but customer service claimed there is no report for this issue. It is similar to RAV4 Hybrid issue.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue? Is there anything else that I need to do to fix it?
If you have the same issue for 2021 Model Highlander Hybrid, then please help to file the case with Toyota and NHTSA and hope they will do something about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE
241 Posts
Yes, and I'm annoyed that Toyota wants you to call to complain about an issue vs being able to submit an email as before. But, if you check out the hybrid forum, there's a stickied post at the top about it.

4th Gen HiHy forum: Highlander 4th Gen - Hybrid (XU70/2020-Present)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, they wanted to call to report issue nowday. It is annoyed as many people do not want to call. This might help them to reduce number of reports lol. It sounds like I will live with 12.5 gal capacity as they dont admit there is an issue or any report about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
461 Posts
These posts rightfully belong in the Highlander Hybrid forum. Makes no sense to post them here since the gas version does not share the same saddlebag shaped gas tank design which like the Rav4s is a space accommodation for the hybrid drivetrain.

Not all 19- 20 Ravs with the same tank and sending unit were similarly affected with this, mine took a full fill and read full first time every time, Japanese built Ravs were mostly unaffected with this problem. Took Toyota over two years to investigate and research the problem before coming up with a new gauge and or new tank to rectify the problem. If, and that's IF, Toyota finds that the Highlander hybrid shares a similar problem, realize that took two years from production start for them to acknowledge that a problem did exist, and months longer to come up with a solution/retrofit.
The problem with saddlebag shaped tanks is not that they will not take a full fill with gas.....they all will hold the Rav's 14.5 or HI's 17.9 gal listed in the specs......the problem in the Rav is that the shape/baffles in the tank and/or the way the fuel pump/sending unit is designed/installed it will read a lower level than what is actually in the tank. So you still get the full gal fill, minus about a gal volume designed for headspace, just the gauge will not read full and the low fuel light will go on way ahead of time.

Toyota analysis for the Rav4 hybrid tank issue is attached below.

And don't try to force a fill by topping off after the gas pump automatic click off or you'll force raw gas into the vaopr vent line and damage the charcoal canister and maybe the vent valve.....and that user damage will not be covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I had tried to fill my tank from low fuel warning (~2.6 gal) to top off is around 12-12.5 gal with multiple gas stations. Toyota spec said the tank capacity is 17.1 gal which is couple gallons off for my car. I am not sure whether the gauge has issue or tank shape is problematic that prevented to get 17.1 gal. I submitted ticket to NHTSA for this issue and saw many people posted the same issue. I called Toyota today to create a case for this issue but customer service claimed there is no report for this issue. It is similar to RAV4 Hybrid issue.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue? Is there anything else that I need to do to fix it?
If you have the same issue for 2021 Model Highlander Hybrid, then please help to file the case with Toyota and NHTSA and hope they will do something about it. Thanks.
You’re not alone. Having same exact problem. Distance to empty read 46 miles so I filled up and it took only 12.123 gals. I then checked distance to empty info screen with full tank and read only 466 miles till empty. The numbers do not add up based on miles per gal of 35 and a 17.1 gal tank. They have a problem with either fuel tank, fuel tank capacity or the distances to empty gauge. Spoke to Toyota they referred me back to dealer who said to come in and we will reset it. Have not done that as of yet but do not think that is going to correct problem.
Hello,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts