Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got Highlander XLE with really good deal during end year sale event from Auto Nation Toyota Leesburg VA. We traded our Sienna as kids big enough to drive. All good its gray I have attached files. But Jan 2 morning when rain finally stopped I walk out to take look what we got as 31/1st all day rain, and I saw rear hatch (tail gate) misaligned with the body see pic. So I got to Toyota as on Wed as we have just over 100 miles and showed them. They called me back same day and said it's all in tolerance limits!!!! Really about 1 cm misalignment is all “fine”. Well also they told today there is auto body person visits dealership, he will take look if any adjustment can be made.

Do we have here Toyota rep? May they take look at pic and tell it’s normal ….

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
405 Posts
Toyota as in the dealership? or did you call Toyota Corporate?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Judging by the first picture, my OCD mind says something is off. I would like to know what is the allowable tolerances deemed acceptable by Toyota standards. I'll take a look @ our HiHy later on tonight and compare.

Hafa Adai!
'20 HiHy Red Platinum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came delership as we got Sienna and have good relationship with them. Still awaiting resutls, but I doubt it will change .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes if its not resolve somehow today or whenever I get car back I will call corprative office. To me it's not rocket science and new hatch replacement as hinges more likely has band from manufacure process.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I don't but take look where is pictured sides, even on these pictures you have a bigger gap between body and hatch on passanger side. Just look on more pictures

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a bummer. I'm not sure if this is relevant or useful, but I bought a new 2017 Toyota Yaris hatch and the driver's side door was misaligned and didn't shut properly. It turns out some weatherstripping was installed backwards at the factory, so they fixed it under warranty.

Not sure if this is useful. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
259 Posts
Mine is straight across the back and gaps are even across the sides of the hatch and identical for both sides. Uneven slight differences in gaps and panel alignment are uncommon these days, even in GMs..........means something probably went on after assembly.

Will the dealer do anything about it? My guess is not unless there is an audible noise from an air leak, or water leak past the seal. Same old, same old.....story 1 meets manufacturing tolerances but can't show you those tolerances in writing and story 2 manufacturer will not cover a warranty repair for something they do not consider to be a defect.

DSCN1179.JPG

DSCN1180.JPG

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not a Toyota but neighbors Chevy had similar issue and the dealership told them it was damage they (the owners) caused and it would cost $700 to fix. I spent about 30 minutes adjusting the hinges and you could see the shadow where the hinge had slipped. When returned to its original position everything lined up perfectly. It was hard to get a good torque on the torx screw fitting but I tore up a socket pretty good but got it tightened enough to hold, which is what I think was the problem to begin with. Has held up for months. I guess $1400 an hour to adjust your loose hinge screws is par for the course these days :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
796 Posts
Mine aligns at the top near the shark fin. But both sides are down equally. If yours aligns at the top there is near zero that can be practically done. The lids are made wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow your are both side sticks out near the light assembly . Mine just one side and other side is perfect. I will call in the morning if they did anything as I never got call from them today. I will take loaner if they will go fix longer .

Mine is straight across the back and gaps are even across the sides of the hatch and identical for both sides. Uneven slight differences in gaps and panel alignment are uncommon these days, even in GMs..........means something probably went on after assembly.

Will the dealer do anything about it? My guess is not unless there is an audible noise from an air leak, or water leak past the seal. Same old, same old.....story 1 meets manufacturing tolerances but can't show you those tolerances in writing and story 2 manufacturer will not cover a warranty repair for something they do not consider to be a defect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still you have too big gaps between body and hatch for the car at 45 K and 2021 year !
I feel coronavirus just made all bad even our famous Toyota. Just think worse like GM and Jeep trucks !

Mine aligns at the top near the shark fin. But both sides are down equally. If yours aligns at the top there is near zero that can be practically done. The lids are made wrong.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I almost don’t care. As long as it seals, closes properly and does not whistle, who cares?????? It is cosmetic in the rear of the car. It is really a $34k body with extra stuff added for higher trims.

There very well may be engineering reasons why they made it fit like this which is not up to our aesthetic expectations.

Face it, it is a mass produced consumer car and not a high end, limited production, ultra finessed luxury exotic. We drive beer pocket book cars. Do not have champagne taste expectations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish they do better job with gaps, as 2021 allowed to do a better computer graphics and design parts

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can have perfect fit in the computer and still have production issues.....

I will look at more of them. Have not seen an XSE in person yet.

Contact corporate with pictures.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
259 Posts
Wow your are both side sticks out near the light assembly . Mine just one side and other side is perfect. I will call in the morning if they did anything as I never got call from them today. I will take loaner if they will go fix longer .
Not really, like I said mine is flush across the lenses, photos (taken last night in the dark) were to show even-ness of gap along the sides of the trunk. Photos taken this frosty morn along the plane of the lenses and shown compared against a flat edge squeegee show the hatch and body lenses are perfectly flush to one another at the point of the gap. Actually, I could care less if it was off a little as long as it sealed and my guess is that Toyota and the dealer will feel the same way.

DSCN1181.JPG

DSCN1182.JPG

DSCN1183.JPG

DSCN1184.JPG

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's way better than mine, one side match to mine on left and another just a few mills off. That is acceptable for sure. Thanks

Not really, like I said mine is flush across the lenses, photos (taken last night in the dark) were to show even-ness of gap along the sides of the trunk. Photos taken this frosty morn along the plane of the lenses and shown compared against a flat edge squeegee show the hatch and body lenses are perfectly flush to one another at the point of the gap. Actually, I could care less if it was off a little as long as it sealed and my guess is that Toyota and the dealer will feel the same way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Toyota lovers, last development. The dealer tech rep called me back, he has contacted Toyota with pic , Toyota approved repair, so car ar body shop, so it's either hatch alignment, or repair and replacement. So we shall see what Toyota body shall say about.
But he mentioned, Toyota said as looked the pictures it's not acceptable with a such huge gap and misalignment.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts