·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Toyota's press release:

Slots between the XLE and Limited. Has the fancier headlights and the perforated, ventilated seats from the Limited, which is nice. It also looks like they moved the middle row dome light to the sides (like the Platinum with the panoramic moonroof).

They mentioned this, which seems to foreshadow additional changes for 2021 across the broader Highlander lineup:
Other updates to the 2021 Highlander will be announced later, but the XSE is slated for launch this fall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Too rich for my blood. And I'm on my fourth. (not in a row; predominantly concomitant)

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
It’s nice to have a trim that is more masculine and chrome-free. I think the black/red may be a little much for something that is the same performance-wise as the other Highlanders. It sounds like they may be announcing a Highlander Prime for next year. It makes one want to consider holding on to see what else the 2021 will bring I’m which, I guess, may be announced in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,890 Posts
Wonder if a pano roof will be available like the xse camrys have or if they will keep that exclusive to the platinum. Also wonder if a second row bench will be available or if they will keep it like the 3rd gen SE model where it only has capt chairs....

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd (SOLD), '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
985 Posts
Perforated seats --> yucky holes that capture filth, imo.
I've had them in at least 1 vehicle for the past 7 or 8 years and never had the problem. Maybe if you eat in the car and are a bit of a slob that might be the case. :D

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
The SEs and XSEs tend to be sport-themed XLEs rather than sport-themed Limiteds. They only added a couple of Limited features to the 3rd gen SEs like LED DRL and leather which makes me think they are going to add even less to the 4th gen XSE.

Just the wheels alone makes me choose this over a Limited or a Platinum. A Highlander Prime would have a more powerful drive train than any of the other versions. It would be expensive but, in the US, would qualify for the full EV $7,500 federal tax rebate. That would go a long way towards offsetting the price. Many people take the rebate and never charge their plug-ins but that really doesn’t make much sense. Sometimes owners lose access to regular charging at work or at home for example.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've had them in at least 1 vehicle for the past 7 or 8 years and never had the problem. Maybe if you eat in the car and are a bit of a slob that might be the case. :D
Same here, no problems with perforated leather. I find that it makes leather a lot more comfortable, but I will admit to worrying what would happen if liquid spilled into the holes...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great find on the 2021 XSE post! I just saw it and was going to post, but you beat me to it by a day, lol.

But this kinda concerns me - should I pull the trigger on a 2020 highlander model, or wait to see if they add features to a 2021 model? a few things kinda annoy me on this current model (like a manual til/telescoping steering wheel, manual foldable mirrors, lack of a trailer hitch option on upper tiers) that If they fixed for 2021, i'd gladly wait a year for.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's how it should have come to begin with. Add to that Prime version with hopefully at least 35 miles range (Rav4 Prime has 39miles range) and we are finally talking business. Now that will be a SUV that I can definitely buy without remorse and with a feeling that there is nothing similar that comes close.
I'm still trying to wrap my head as to why Toyota didn't do this attractive XSE like exterior in the first place instead of coming up with that castrated boring dud we have right now. ?‍♀ Toyota you should know better that not every owner of Highlander is a asian "soccermom" who doesn't care a bit about exterior, specs or anything else, except Toyota badge and 3 rows.

·
Registered
105 Posts
W
Great find on the 2021 XSE post! I just saw it and was going to post, but you beat me to it by a day, lol.

But this kinda concerns me - should I pull the trigger on a 2020 highlander model, or wait to see if they add features to a 2021 model? a few things kinda annoy me on this current model (like a manual til/telescoping steering wheel, manual foldable mirrors, lack of a trailer hitch option on upper tiers) that If they fixed for 2021, i'd gladly wait a year for.
With the new XSE being between the XLE and Limited and price point between, it will have very few extras, and less than the Limited model. I love the look of it, but I'm sure it won't have the extra's that I want from the Limited or Platinum. I read one article that said options will be few on this model.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
My guess is that the XSE had significant enough differences that joining an already-late 2020 model year launch wasn’t feasible . The fact that we are hearing about this only about a month after the new models are showing up on the lots means that Toyota is wanting to fill this market gap even though that means a bunch of us who were well on our way to buying a 2020 in the Winter/Spring might just hold off until the Fall. It’s an interesting move to make - announcing this so early in the year. They admit that 15% of their Highlander customers are going to choose this new trim.And they even put in the press release that further changes for the 2021 model year are coming.I guess they are confident that the average buyer isn’t paying attention to these announcements but the automotive press is.Perhaps they sense the lack of interest in the new gen that we see here in this forum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My guess is that the XSE had significant enough differences that joining an already-late 2020 model year launch wasn’t feasible . The fact that we are hearing about this only about a month after the new models are showing up on the lots means that Toyota is wanting to fill this market gap even though that means a bunch of us who were well on our way to buying a 2020 in the Winter/Spring might just hold off until the Fall. It’s an interesting move to make - announcing this so early in the year. They admit that 15% of their Highlander customers are going to choose this new trim.And they even put in the press release that further changes for the 2021 model year are coming.I guess they are confident that the average buyer isn’t paying attention to these announcements but the automotive press is.Perhaps they sense the lack of interest in the new gen that we see here in this forum.
I hope the specs on the XSE will be out soon. I was close to making a decision on ordering the Platinum soon, but I do love the looks of the XSE. I just feel the HUD, panoramic moonroof, bigger screen, and I read where the seats would be softex, not real leather, or you get the black cloth. I did see this-"The options list is short but includes a 1,200-watt 11-speaker JBL sound system" ! Will be interesting for sure to see what they will offer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's how it should have come to begin with. Add to that Prime version with hopefully at least 35 miles range (Rav4 Prime has 39miles range) and we are finally talking business. Now that will be a SUV that I can definitely buy without remorse and with a feeling that there is nothing similar that comes close.
I'm still trying to wrap my head as to why Toyota didn't do this attractive XSE like exterior in the first place instead of coming up with that castrated boring dud we have right now. ?‍♀ Toyota you should know better that not every owner of Highlander is a asian "soccermom" who doesn't care a bit about exterior, specs or anything else, except Toyota badge and 3 rows.
I think the XSE looks worse than the regular highlander. Although the interior looks better, that lower front grill reminds me of the outgoing highlander Gillette blades.

Then again, highlander in general is a rather boring, style wise. Here in NY metro area, it has become synonymous with Middle Eastern/ Asian Indian/ Hispanic, Uber car drivers that drive in left lane at 20 mph, and never changes their oil, and only care about going from point A to B...Which "might" be a step below the asian "soccermom"... Toyota should know better.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts