Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but will there be a hybrid version of the XSE in the fall?

We are in the market for a 3rd row SUV. I think the aesthetics of the Pallisade/Telluride are better in general, but I am very drawn to the gas mileage of the 2020 hybrid. This XSE body style is much more attractive to me. Plus I like the cheaper price tag while holding onto the premium sound system. If they did a hybrid version, I'd consider waiting.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
I don’t think there’s any way it would be a regular hybrid because of the reduced power of the four-cylinder. That’s why I’m thinking that the Highlander Prime plugin will be at least the same power train as the RAV4 prime which comes in an SE and XSE

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd (SOLD), '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
985 Posts
The 2020 HL are just starting to arrive and here we have the 2121 being announced. :-(
So now you have choices: 1) '19 at probably a really good price, 2) '20 if you can get what you want, or 3) wait for a '21.

Decisions, decisions, decisions........... :)

Reactions: RDL

·
Registered
9 Posts
So now you have choices: 1) '19 at probably a really good price, 2) '20 if you can get what you want, or 3) wait for a '21.

Gonna use the fact that I could easily opt to wait until Fall for the XSE to get the dealer to come down even further on price for the one that's almost on its way to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts

One more - wait for the mid-generation refresh in 2023.

·
straight cash homie
20,449 Posts
Then again, highlander in general is a rather boring, style wise. Here in NY metro area, it has become synonymous with Middle Eastern/ Asian Indian/ Hispanic, Uber car drivers that drive in left lane at 20 mph, and never changes their oil, and only care about going from point A to B...Which "might" be a step below the asian "soccermom"... Toyota should know better.
LOL the stereotypes...basically the HL has always been the Camry SUV.

·
straight cash homie
20,449 Posts

Exterior review only. When the manufacturer tints the hell out of the windows, they don't want the public to see the interior yet.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
The renders of the striking red on black interior were featured but obviously weren’t ready for actual viewing. It’s remarkable that they were so anxious to get the 2021 XSE announced while the 2020s has barely arrived. I guess the thinking is that the XSE isn’t competing with the other trims but, rather, is keeping the Highlander SE customers (like me) from jumping ship due to the feminization of 2020 lineup.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The renders of the striking red on black interior were featured but obviously weren’t ready for actual viewing. It’s remarkable that they were so anxious to get the 2021 XSE announced while the 2020s has barely arrived. I guess the thinking is that the XSE isn’t competing with the other trims but, rather, is keeping the Highlander SE customers (like me) from jumping ship due to the feminization of 2020 lineup.
Just get the Ford Explorer ST. 5.3-5.4 seconds to 60mph.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not a fan of the lower part of the front grill, but I love the black accents and wheels.The red interior works for the wanna be cool parents like me lol. My wife was telling me she wanted a A-spec MDX and the Highlander XSE is a good option against the MDX.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not a fan of the lower part of the front grill, but I love the black accents and wheels.The red interior works for the wanna be cool parents like me lol. My wife was telling me she wanted a A-spec MDX and the Highlander XSE is a good option against the MDX.
It is a good option against the MDX, and right now, probably more reliable. I tried the MDX and loved it, but it is very out dated , and the new Highlander really rides just as quiet, maybe even more so. Good luck as they are both great looking. The new MDX comes out sometime this spring....anxious to see what it looks like. I'm interested in the XSE , but afraid that it will be watered down with the options you can get over the Platinum or even the Limited. Anxious to see what they will offer.....I do want the red seats if I choose that route...I had them in the NX, and loved them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
XSE wont have the performance as a MDX, though, nor do i think the luxury/sporty brand appeal. As someone who is also considering a MDX or highlander, my personal choice in choosing one over the other, wouldn't be based on just the sportiness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@RDL I didn't realize that a new MDX was coming out. Doesn't look like there's much info on it right now.

@keith22 I wasn't necessarily looking for a true sporty SUV. My wife just wants a sporty looking SUV, and she does want the luxury appeal. That's why she likes the MDX. I'll throw Q7 in with that mix. Those options are a premium over the non-luxury SUVs. I'm trying to push her toward economical/reliable sporty look, which is where the XSE comes in. The Telluride and Pallisade seem like good options as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am already imagining 20-22" wheels by Vossen on this XSE to fill the OEM gaps. Will be very sharp! Cant wait!

·
Registered
105 Posts
@RDL I didn't realize that a new MDX was coming out. Doesn't look like there's much info on it right now.

@keith22 I wasn't necessarily looking for a true sporty SUV. My wife just wants a sporty looking SUV, and she does want the luxury appeal. That's why she likes the MDX. I'll throw Q7 in with that mix. Those options are a premium over the non-luxury SUVs. I'm trying to push her toward economical/reliable sporty look, which is where the XSE comes in. The Telluride and Pallisade seem like good options as well.
Yeah...not much info on the MDX, but it is a full redesign. I tried the current one, and it is nice, but I don't care for the double screen, and actually, I like the new Highlander better. I have driven both, and find the ride equal, and the looks and feel of the new Highlander are luxury feel without the higher price of the MDX. The quilted seats on the Highlander Platinum are very luxury looking, and feel great ! I drove the RDX as well, and I love the looks of the exterior/interior, but concerned about all the issues they have had. If you go to their forum, there are many unhappy Acura drivers. Transmission and infotainment problems still exist.
Telluride is not as quiet as Highlander or MDX, and honestly, I don't see all the hype about it. It is nice, and has some cool features, but here again, reliability is an unknown which leads me back to Toyota. Although their are some issues at time with them as well, they have a great track record. Just my thoughts.....anxious to see what features they will include in the XSE. I'm looking at that or the Platinum. Have fun with the choices :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I always wanted a set of jet boosters that flip-out on each side when situation calls for paddle-to-the-metal... 2021 XSE is getting there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Interesting that they took some cues from the 2019 for the front end and all the better for it I dare say old chaps!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts