Toyota Nation Forum banner

2022/2023 Corolla SE Sedan vs. 2022/2023 Corolla SE Hatchback

8675 Views 153 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  stingray427
I know the Corolla SE Sedan cost more than the Corolla SE Hatchback and is a larger car than the hatchback with much more cargo space.

Does this mean the Sedan is going to have a better more quiet ride as well as comfortable ride over the hatchback model on real world roads?

Both of these cars have the same 2.0 169 HP engine.
What are the performance specifications differences between these two cars with different bodystyles with the same engine?
Weight differences?

CVT vs. 6 spd. manual transmission performance?
I can drive either transmission but which transmission is going to be more reliable, with less problems and last longer? The CVT has been on the Corolla since 2018 and is warrantied by Toyota for 5 years. So now what does the test of time say about the Toyota CVT transmission?

Which Corolla SE between the Sedan and Hatchback will be more reliable, better comfortable ride with less road noise/engine noise?
  • Wow
Reactions: invader
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And lack of rear leg room.
I don't transport passengers. The rear seats will be put down for more cargo space.

When I inquirer different sizes other then 225/40R18 places like Costco won't sell me any other sizes they always say those won't fit your car and we can't guarantee them.
Can't you switch down to a smaller tire/wheel combo from a Corolla for example on an SE go with the 16 inch tires/wheels instead of the 18 inch tires/wheels to tone down the ride to have more rubber between wheel and road?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.
We are in USA so it's differrent here on USA Corollas. On SE Corolla it may come with 18 at extra cost. Not sure if dealership can do a switchout for 16 instead as I am not a fan of low profile tires/wheels because of road hazards, curb rash, short tire life and cost of repair/replacement when damaged or stolen. Don't need that kind of attention.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.
That's were it's becomes confusing as the Canadian Corollas and the USA Corollas are both equipped different. I heard that the Canadian Corollas come with heated seats and the USA Corollas don't but I do not know if that is true or not. The SE with 16 would be fine for me as I have a lower back lumbar problem and neck problem. I understand the XSE has a stiffer ride than the SE.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
The HB sits a little lower, has a little more headroom, a little less legroom, and I found the base seat more supportive even with no lumbar, than the LE or SE of the sedan. I also found the seat more tilted forward so you get a better view looking out like I prefer. The sedan seats were uncomfortable for both myself and my wife.

There are many differences between the two that will impact the feel for some people. The HB has a shorter wheel base, weighs a little more, has the 2.0L engine in all models and also has bigger brakes in the front, I think the rear is the same.

There are also many fit and finish differences inside like back lit buttons, sun visors with lamps and a few other things.

There are pros and cons to both, but the biggest difference is the back seat and HB vs trunk and since we don't need a big back seat and the hatch is big enough for us with the rear seats up, it checked the most boxes and being built in Japan didn't hurt either vs the sedans we tried we built in the USA.

Those are just some of the things I noticed, but it doesn't mean anyone else would notice them or even care about them.
The HB is more sporty and I would think the HB is more agile than the larger sedan Corolla. I would think that the ride in the Corolla Sedan would be a little more comfortable than the HB since the Sedan is slightly larger wheelbase than HB but perhaps the differences in ride comfort in the Sedan and HB are so slight. The styling with HB is better to me and with the backseats folded down totally flat which looks alot better than the Sedan Corolla with seats folded down as the seats in the Sedan Corolla don't lay down totally flat like the HB.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
In Canada the SE and above get heated seats, but my base S doesn't.
Here in the USA no heated seats at least as standard equipment. A cool seat option would be fine with me. All I want is the blindspot warning system, best factory stereo system, 16 tires and 6 spd. manual trans. Do not want a sunroof or a stiff bumpy riding car because we have bad roads down here that are not maintained full of pot holes and lots of debris to dodge on roads.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
We actually found the ride more comfortable on the HB and for some reason both got sore lower backs test driving sedans. I think it was because the seats weren't suited to us even though you'd think they'd be the same in the se sedan and HB.

I am sure the HB ride should be choppier than the sedan due to the shorter wheelbase, but my back flared up on both test drives of the sedan after about 15-20 minutes, but I've done several 600 mile+ 10 hour+ days of driving in the HB with no discomfort for either of us. We were surprised as we weren't considering the HB until we test drove it, based off of past experiences with Toyota HBs, but this one suits us really well. It has shortcomings, but nothing of major impact to us. The thing that annoys me the most is probably the lack of storage pockets etc.

I took the back seat headrests out permanently and thats another thing I've read, but don't know if it's true, that the sedans rear head rests don't come out. I like them out to increase visibilty and make it easier to fold the seats down.
Usually hatchback cars are more noisy than sedans since you have that open rear. If you need more storage pockets I know Costco sells or used to sell sheepskin seat covers (not fully sheepskin at 59.95) with big pocket in rear of the seatcover and are side air bag safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
To chime in and match what others have said, I drove both. I decided on the XSE hatch.

• I thought the XSE was more enjoyable to drive. Handled better, felt more nimble.
  • I thought the Corolla sedan felt a little softer and didn't feel nearly as nimble. Likely because it's longer. Since I wanted a manual, the sedan offered less options compared to what you could get in the hatch as well.

I have a family of four (including one rear-facing 5 month old) and we fit in the Corolla hatch just fine. Because of that, I went with the hatch. I love having the extra options like leather, heated seats, etc.

If you need the extra space do the sedan. If space isn't a huge concern, the hatch is the way to go IMO.
You must be in the Canadian market because USA Corollas don't have those options and or as many choices as the Canadian market does. You guys get heated seats.
I test drove an SE Corolla hatchback but it had a CVT transmission which you had to pay extra for coming out to a price of $28,800+ with not any options. I would rather have the 6 spd. manual. over the CVT. I prefer the styling of the HB over the larger Corolla Sedan and the fact that when you fold the seats down in the HB they lay flat unlike the larger sedan with those seats not flat. I don't have to worry about transporting people in the back so the hatchback is a plus for me in loading and in style. Plus it has a smaller body so It would be more agile. I didn't get to test drive a sedan.
As far as the XSE I understand that model has a stiffer ride for better handling over the SE which has a more comfortable ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
For 2022:
1.8L gas engine gets CVT
2.0L gas engine gets Direct Shift CVT

For 2023:
1.8L gas only is no longer offered
All grades of gas get 2.0L and DS-CVT

What is the advantage of Direct Shift CVT over regular CVT? Will it last longer than regular CVT? Is the 6 speed manual transmission still more durable and trouble free than the Direct Drive CVT?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
IMO manuals will (up at least until now) be more reliable than any CVT providing both were properly maintained.

The point of the direct shift CVT is to give a more connected feel to the car with the physical gear, less rubber banding sensation & better performance. Also with the gear responsible for launching the car, i'd suspect less wear & tear on CVT components a well.
That's good that the direct shift will contribute to less wear & tear on CVT components. That's what I was very concerned about on these CVT's even though I know Toyota has been using them for y ears now. I would prefer to get the 6 speed manual but understand they will discontinue the availability of that 6 speed manual in 2023 SE Corolla.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Actually, CVTs like staying at a fixed torque ratio so take off and cruising are ideal CVT states (high and low ratio). It is in between that's a challenge (slipping, whine, etc.). Straight from Toyota on DS-CVT:

Will this direct shift CVT on a SE Corolla outperform a SE Corolla with 6 spd. manual transmission? or will CVT direct shift have any other advantages over the 6 speed manual transmission? :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The 1st gear isn't supposed to make the start smoother, its true purpose is to take the load off of the CVT Belt off the line, because the number 1 killer of CVT engines is two things.

1. Heat/=Friction

2. Starting off the line. and modern drivers these days LOVE to just pound that accelerator to get going from a Zero Stop, so this is quite literally the best idea.
Sounds to me that the 6 spd. manual transmission would be a better bet than the CVT direct shift transmission with less problems. Yes people love to mash the pedal to the metal and I have heard that doing this doesn't contribute to the longetivity of a CVT transmission.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I wouldn't say iMT is less reliable (no statistic and no idea of the seriousness of what is read on forums) but you see more "anyone else have this problem ?" type posts about manual than CVT. Which is somewhat signigicant since the number on iMT units is far less than CVT units.
Perhaps more drivers abuse or don't know how to drive manuals in the most efficient manner?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Corolla with DS-CVT is 0.5~1.0 seconds slower 0-60 than its iMT counterpart. This is a lot to do with rev limiter on DS-CVT, it does not allow RPMs to get anywhere near red line, it forces it to "shift" about 1K below at all of its 10 "gears". Advantage of CVT over MT was always gas mileage. F1 did make an amazing high performance CVT, it was so good that it quickly got banned. So go figure...
It's unlike todays conventional automatics which are now faster than manual transmissions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Oh we certainly test drove both of them. No complaints. Both cars are just fine. But owning both gives me a unique opportunity to compare them directly...and daily. The sedan was bought first with the hatch coming 4 months later. The sedan set a high bar.
Perhaps the Sedan has more to offer which is why it costs more $$$$ than the hatchback. It's a bigger car with more options offerred. The hatchback seems to be a very entry level type of Corolla however I love the styling of the hatchback much more over the Sedan Corolla SE. But more importantly if the Sedan has a better ride over bumpy roads and if a more comfortable driving car and more quiet than hatchback it probably fullfills more of my needs than the hatchback especially if it has more cargo space in sedan over hatchback since it is a bigger vehicle in size over hatch.

I would think that the sedan is more quiet and isolated from outside noise than the hatchback since you don't have that open space in the rear of sedan but it's that open space in hatchback that makes loading cargo / groceries in hatchback body easier than sedan style.

Though both Sedan and Hatchback in SE trim have same 2.0 engine, is one faster in acceleration than the other? Better gas mileage in which model? Maybe the lighter version which ever that one maybe? I am not concerned about passenger space since I do not transport passengers. Just mostly grocery getter and Costco Club runs.

Primarily I want reliability but the transmission choice is a difficult choice as I prefer the transmission which will offer longetivity. I drive both manual transmissions and automatics.

As far as bodystyles, The hatchback to me fits the styling perfect to MY EYE and looks to be a more nimble handling car which is not too big and easy to get around in and park. Hatchback costs less $$$.

It Would be a difficult choice for me NOW since dealership have none in stock to look at or test drive to compare the two. Could be a tough decision almost making a decision in the dark.
I will have to wait for the situation inventory supply of cars to get better to make a sound decision/purchase hopefully in 2023????

I did get to test drive a Corolla SE hatchback in June 2022 but it had a CVT transmission. It was a car that a customer cancelled who bought another car while waiting for this car. $28,300+ for a SE Corolla hatchback with CVT is a marked up price with NO OPTIONS and CVT just adds more $$$ to the price of vehicle.
Plus there is no lever inside interior to open hatch. (salesperson told me I must use key fob inside car which seems unusual to me as most cars I know of always had a latch to release hatch in rear).
There were some other cancellations on the lot mostly hatchbacks but all with CVT's and a few sedans all with CVT. (No 6 spd. manual transmissions to test drive)

I wish I was able to test drive a 6 spd. manual transmission as that would be more fun and perhaps the better transmission for reliability and longetivity.

I saw the sedan Corolla with CVT but I didn't care for the styling or the fact that when you do fold the rear seats down those seats weren't flush with floor. (just cosmetics to MY EYE as when you put stuff on top of those rear seats in sedan it won't make a difference on appearance but you will have more room than hatchback with hatchback rear seats are folded down flush.

Personally I probably would leave rear seats down in either hatchback or sedan but it just looks better when rear seats are down in hatchback body style.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
In Canada the base HB is more than the base Sedan. HBs are almost always more than Sedans. I think you're equating size with quality, which is a very north american ideology and why we don't often get the ability to get a premium HB.

The US packages are different than in Canada as well and I don't feel like comparing all the details, but I do know the base HB came with overall a little better equipmed than the base and one level up sedan when we bought. That comparison has changed now that 2.0L is standard.

They are very close to the same car and the only major differences IMO are where they are made, the amount of luggage space and handling due to different ride heights.
In the USA market the hatchback is the lower cost vehicle than the sedan. I wouldn't want those 18 tires & wheels as I can only imagine the damage from a pothole tire blow out or bent wheel or a sidewalk curb from curb rash.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I have both models. So I can objectively compare them.

The sedan was built in April in Mississippi and the hatch in Japan in June. Both are very nice with good ride comfort and handling. But the sedan is the better car. It's drum tight, without even a hint of a squeak or rattle, rides better, despite having 18" wheels/tires. It has a fair amount more rear leg room and has trunk space that the hatch can't compete with. And in the case of our 2 cars, the sedan's CVT is much smoother, especially when transitioning from 1st gear to CVT.

Even though they are both '22 SEs, there are some interesting trim differences. The sedan SE has 18" wheels (hatch has 16s), additional LED lighting in the front and a nice finished dual tip exhaust.

The hatch SE has non of that. However it inexplicably has push-button start (sedan does not). It also has full size cup holders on the rear door panels and all the switches... even the window switches on the rear doors are are back-lit. Only a few are on the sedan.

You would think the SE trims would be spec'd the same across the two, but no. I like them both.....and typically spend most of my time in the hatch because my wife prefers the sedan. But in the case of these 2 particular vehicles, if I had to choose one to daily it would be the sedan. It just "feels" better.

View attachment 404207 View attachment 404208
Love both of these colors though I am aiming for the Windchill Pearl White color. Is that red or what shade of red is the sedan?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts