Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
507 Posts
I didn't find any difference between sedan and HB for leg room...

For handling, I love my go cart HB. Next summer it will need new tires, I'll likely go 235, and I have a FSTB on the way, so cornering should be even more fun ;)
If you need room in the back seat, there actually is a significant difference between the HB and Sedan. I can barely even get into the back at all in the HB, and forget ever sitting back there, according to Toyota's site it's nearly 5 inches. I also would note I don't like the sedan for various reasons and don't need this space so it's no issue to us:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
507 Posts
My kiddo sits in the back <5% of the time I drive the car, and she does not care LOL. Cargo wise all Costco stuff that doesn't fit into hatch goes onto back seat. My hatch also has a sub box so my cargo space has 13" less room than sedan ;)

As far as the leg room in the front goes, when I test drove the two I couldn't tell the difference:

HB front leg room 42"
Sedan front leg room 42.3"
When we test drove we quickly discovered we didn't like the sedan. Driving position, materials used, personal preferences, value were all much better in the HB IMO. If we hadn't test drove we wouldn't have experienced this difference and that's why it's so important to actually test drive. After test driving we would not buy the sedan, but we really liked the HB package, not perfect, but overall a great value and very comfortable for us. I'm very tall as well and no problem fitting in the front seat on either. Due to the different driving position I felt the HB feel was just better for my preferences and body type. My wife felt the same and she very small. So you really need to test drive and these people who don't just blow my mind.

We don't have a spare tire so we have that BS enhanced cargo capacity and we are able to fit in one large suitcase, 2 large duffle bags, several small bags and 1 carry on suitcase without putting the back seats down and still using the privacy cover. Now in our Yaris sedan we could put in 2 large suitcases instead of one large and one small with all the other stuff, and we can fit 2 large suitcases in the HB, but it's less efficient than jamming it full with smaller bags etc in collaboration.

· Registered
507 Posts
Can't you switch down to a smaller tire/wheel combo from a Corolla for example on an SE go with the 16 inch tires/wheels instead of the 18 inch tires/wheels to tone down the ride to have more rubber between wheel and road?
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.

· Registered
507 Posts
Just sharing my experience 😉
It's a fact the driving position is different. If it's important to you if that's true or not you can either look out for it when comparing them in person or research the specs of the vehicle. Driving position is very important to me and my wife and we both noticed the difference right away from 2 different perspectives. It's only natural to not notice things that aren't important to or don't affect you.

It's also a fact that the HB and Sedan are different in minor ways material and options wise (These differences are largest when comparing base models in Canada). Which one you prefer is again up to you and whether you notice the differences or not is also something that differs between individuals. I know I don't notice everything or care about all differences.

For some reason I didn't know what you meant by saying you didn't notice the difference :unsure:

· Registered
507 Posts
We are in USA so it's differrent here on USA Corollas. On SE Corolla it may come with 18 at extra cost. Not sure if dealership can do a switchout for 16 instead as I am not a fan of low profile tires/wheels because of road hazards, curb rash, short tire life and cost of repair/replacement when damaged or stolen. Don't need that kind of attention.
Yeah, your base model is the SE, ours is the S and the SE is one model up.

On Toyota.com it shows 16 as standard, so you should be ok unless you want some package which upgrades the wheels to 18. I've always preferred smaller wheels, even on performance vehicles, but I can say I enjoy the HB on 15's and when I bought all weather tires for winter, I also got them in 15.

· Registered
507 Posts
OK I got you. I tested hatchback and sedan without lumbar support. I think that is the reason why I didn't notice the difference in driving position.
The HB sits a little lower, has a little more headroom, a little less legroom, and I found the base seat more supportive even with no lumbar, than the LE or SE of the sedan. I also found the seat more tilted forward so you get a better view looking out like I prefer. The sedan seats were uncomfortable for both myself and my wife.

There are many differences between the two that will impact the feel for some people. The HB has a shorter wheel base, weighs a little more, has the 2.0L engine in all models and also has bigger brakes in the front, I think the rear is the same.

There are also many fit and finish differences inside like back lit buttons, sun visors with lamps and a few other things.

There are pros and cons to both, but the biggest difference is the back seat and HB vs trunk and since we don't need a big back seat and the hatch is big enough for us with the rear seats up, it checked the most boxes and being built in Japan didn't hurt either vs the sedans we tried we built in the USA.

Those are just some of the things I noticed, but it doesn't mean anyone else would notice them or even care about them.

· Registered
507 Posts
We have an SE sedan and one of the things I like about it compared to my Golf Sportwagen is that I find the seats much more comfortable than the Golf. It's all relative I guess! Otherwise I find the Golf much more engaging to drive. However the Corolla does just fine at what we ask of it, being a reliable second car. It'll probably outlast the Golf!
Is your Sedan made in Japan?

You're so right. It is all relative and even if the facts say otherwise and doesn't mean that's your reality! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
507 Posts
I don't want 16" wheels I prefer the 18" wheels that come on the Hatchback XSE has better driving dynamics. Also I have a bad back and believe it or not the stiffer ride is easier on my back. Going over speed bumps on my last car a 07 corolla LE sucked its like night and day with the '21 Hatchback.
I do find the ride in the HB to be very smooth for an entry level car with a short wheelbase.

· Registered
507 Posts
That's were it's becomes confusing as the Canadian Corollas and the USA Corollas are both equipped different. I heard that the Canadian Corollas come with heated seats and the USA Corollas don't but I do not know if that is true or not. The SE with 16 would be fine for me as I have a lower back lumbar problem and neck problem. I understand the XSE has a stiffer ride than the SE.
In Canada the SE and above get heated seats, but my base S doesn't.

· Registered
507 Posts
The HB is more sporty and I would think the HB is more agile than the larger sedan Corolla. I would think that the ride in the Corolla Sedan would be a little more comfortable than the HB since the Sedan is slightly larger wheelbase than HB but perhaps the differences in ride comfort in the Sedan and HB are so slight. The styling with HB is better to me and with the backseats folded down totally flat which looks alot better than the Sedan Corolla with seats folded down as the seats in the Sedan Corolla don't lay down totally flat like the HB.
We actually found the ride more comfortable on the HB and for some reason both got sore lower backs test driving sedans. I think it was because the seats weren't suited to us even though you'd think they'd be the same in the se sedan and HB.

I am sure the HB ride should be choppier than the sedan due to the shorter wheelbase, but my back flared up on both test drives of the sedan after about 15-20 minutes, but I've done several 600 mile+ 10 hour+ days of driving in the HB with no discomfort for either of us. We were surprised as we weren't considering the HB until we test drove it, based off of past experiences with Toyota HBs, but this one suits us really well. It has shortcomings, but nothing of major impact to us. The thing that annoys me the most is probably the lack of storage pockets etc.

I took the back seat headrests out permanently and thats another thing I've read, but don't know if it's true, that the sedans rear head rests don't come out. I like them out to increase visibilty and make it easier to fold the seats down.

· Registered
507 Posts
Here in the USA no heated seats at least as standard equipment. A cool seat option would be fine with me. All I want is the blindspot warning system, best factory stereo system, 16 tires and 6 spd. manual trans. Do not want a sunroof or a stiff bumpy riding car because we have bad roads down here that are not maintained full of pot holes and lots of debris to dodge on roads.
potholes is another reason I stick with 15 inch tires! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
507 Posts
Usually hatchback cars are more noisy than sedans since you have that open rear. If you need more storage pockets I know Costco sells or used to sell sheepskin seat covers (not fully sheepskin at 59.95) with big pocket in rear of the seatcover and are side air bag safe.
Thanks for the tip. I find this HB not to be loud. We wanted a Yaris HB before, but found it too loud etc. You reminded me the HB has a pocket behind each seat, but the sedan only has one behind the passenger.

· Registered
507 Posts
You must be in the Canadian market because USA Corollas don't have those options and or as many choices as the Canadian market does. You guys get heated seats.
I test drove an SE Corolla hatchback but it had a CVT transmission which you had to pay extra for coming out to a price of $28,800+ with not any options. I would rather have the 6 spd. manual. over the CVT. I prefer the styling of the HB over the larger Corolla Sedan and the fact that when you fold the seats down in the HB they lay flat unlike the larger sedan with those seats not flat. I don't have to worry about transporting people in the back so the hatchback is a plus for me in loading and in style. Plus it has a smaller body so It would be more agile. I didn't get to test drive a sedan.
As far as the XSE I understand that model has a stiffer ride for better handling over the SE which has a more comfortable ride.
There's not any suspension difference between the HB models as far as I know. Only difference which would affect the ride are the rims and tires.

· Registered
507 Posts
Actually ... the HBs that come with oem 18" wheels use different coils and shocks compare to the ones that come with non 18"s. I remember digging up this info. Don't know if this has changed over the years. See this old discussion:
I've never heard of that or seen anything on that before, but that's also like how I found out the hatch has bigger brakes on the front.

· Registered
507 Posts
IMO manuals will (up at least until now) be more reliable than any CVT providing both were properly maintained.

The point of the direct shift CVT is to give a more connected feel to the car with the physical gear, less rubber banding sensation & better performance. Also with the gear responsible for launching the car, i'd suspect less wear & tear on CVT components a well.
From what I've read the DS is just to help with the sluggish starts of CVT engines. I think it works, but I feel it's a little too abrupt at times, especially when decelerating.

· Registered
507 Posts
I have both models. So I can objectively compare them.

The sedan was built in April in Mississippi and the hatch in Japan in June. Both are very nice with good ride comfort and handling. But the sedan is the better car. It's drum tight, without even a hint of a squeak or rattle, rides better, despite having 18" wheels/tires. It has a fair amount more rear leg room and has trunk space that the hatch can't compete with. And in the case of our 2 cars, the sedan's CVT is much smoother, especially when transitioning from 1st gear to CVT.

Even though they are both '22 SEs, there are some interesting trim differences. The sedan SE has 18" wheels (hatch has 16s), additional LED lighting in the front and a nice finished dual tip exhaust.

The hatch SE has non of that. However it inexplicably has push-button start (sedan does not). It also has full size cup holders on the rear door panels and all the switches... even the window switches on the rear doors are are back-lit. Only a few are on the sedan.

You would think the SE trims would be spec'd the same across the two, but no. I like them both.....and typically spend most of my time in the hatch because my wife prefers the sedan. But in the case of these 2 particular vehicles, if I had to choose one to daily it would be the sedan. It just "feels" better.

View attachment 404207 View attachment 404208
This is why people need to test drive to find what fits their preference, because we had the exact opposite experience when comparing the HB and Sedan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts