Toyota Nation Forum banner

2022/2023 Corolla SE Sedan vs. 2022/2023 Corolla SE Hatchback

8675 Views 153 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  stingray427
I know the Corolla SE Sedan cost more than the Corolla SE Hatchback and is a larger car than the hatchback with much more cargo space.

Does this mean the Sedan is going to have a better more quiet ride as well as comfortable ride over the hatchback model on real world roads?

Both of these cars have the same 2.0 169 HP engine.
What are the performance specifications differences between these two cars with different bodystyles with the same engine?
Weight differences?

CVT vs. 6 spd. manual transmission performance?
I can drive either transmission but which transmission is going to be more reliable, with less problems and last longer? The CVT has been on the Corolla since 2018 and is warrantied by Toyota for 5 years. So now what does the test of time say about the Toyota CVT transmission?

Which Corolla SE between the Sedan and Hatchback will be more reliable, better comfortable ride with less road noise/engine noise?
  • Wow
Reactions: invader
21 - 40 of 154 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
is 235 a thicker sidewall that fits on the 18" rims?
235 is the width. But if you stay with t he same sidewall aspect ratio of 40 (this is a percentage of the width of the tire, in this case 235mm) you will get more sidewall without throwing the speedometer off too much. Roughly 1mph at 60. I have had 235/40/18 on the car since 800 miles and wouldn't go back

· Registered
206 Posts
235 is the width. But if you stay with t he same sidewall aspect ratio of 40 (this is a percentage of the width of the tire, in this case 235mm) you will get more sidewall without throwing the speedometer off too much. Roughly 1mph at 60. I have had 235/40/18 on the car since 800 miles and wouldn't go back
When I inquirer different sizes other then 225/40R18 places like Costco won't sell me any other sizes they always say those won't fit your car and we can't guarantee them.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
And lack of rear leg room.
I don't transport passengers. The rear seats will be put down for more cargo space.

When I inquirer different sizes other then 225/40R18 places like Costco won't sell me any other sizes they always say those won't fit your car and we can't guarantee them.
Can't you switch down to a smaller tire/wheel combo from a Corolla for example on an SE go with the 16 inch tires/wheels instead of the 18 inch tires/wheels to tone down the ride to have more rubber between wheel and road?

· Registered
507 Posts
Can't you switch down to a smaller tire/wheel combo from a Corolla for example on an SE go with the 16 inch tires/wheels instead of the 18 inch tires/wheels to tone down the ride to have more rubber between wheel and road?
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.

· Registered
507 Posts
Just sharing my experience 😉
It's a fact the driving position is different. If it's important to you if that's true or not you can either look out for it when comparing them in person or research the specs of the vehicle. Driving position is very important to me and my wife and we both noticed the difference right away from 2 different perspectives. It's only natural to not notice things that aren't important to or don't affect you.

It's also a fact that the HB and Sedan are different in minor ways material and options wise (These differences are largest when comparing base models in Canada). Which one you prefer is again up to you and whether you notice the differences or not is also something that differs between individuals. I know I don't notice everything or care about all differences.

For some reason I didn't know what you meant by saying you didn't notice the difference :unsure:

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.
We are in USA so it's differrent here on USA Corollas. On SE Corolla it may come with 18 at extra cost. Not sure if dealership can do a switchout for 16 instead as I am not a fan of low profile tires/wheels because of road hazards, curb rash, short tire life and cost of repair/replacement when damaged or stolen. Don't need that kind of attention.

· Registered
507 Posts
We are in USA so it's differrent here on USA Corollas. On SE Corolla it may come with 18 at extra cost. Not sure if dealership can do a switchout for 16 instead as I am not a fan of low profile tires/wheels because of road hazards, curb rash, short tire life and cost of repair/replacement when damaged or stolen. Don't need that kind of attention.
Yeah, your base model is the SE, ours is the S and the SE is one model up.

On Toyota.com it shows 16 as standard, so you should be ok unless you want some package which upgrades the wheels to 18. I've always preferred smaller wheels, even on performance vehicles, but I can say I enjoy the HB on 15's and when I bought all weather tires for winter, I also got them in 15.

· Registered
507 Posts
OK I got you. I tested hatchback and sedan without lumbar support. I think that is the reason why I didn't notice the difference in driving position.
The HB sits a little lower, has a little more headroom, a little less legroom, and I found the base seat more supportive even with no lumbar, than the LE or SE of the sedan. I also found the seat more tilted forward so you get a better view looking out like I prefer. The sedan seats were uncomfortable for both myself and my wife.

There are many differences between the two that will impact the feel for some people. The HB has a shorter wheel base, weighs a little more, has the 2.0L engine in all models and also has bigger brakes in the front, I think the rear is the same.

There are also many fit and finish differences inside like back lit buttons, sun visors with lamps and a few other things.

There are pros and cons to both, but the biggest difference is the back seat and HB vs trunk and since we don't need a big back seat and the hatch is big enough for us with the rear seats up, it checked the most boxes and being built in Japan didn't hurt either vs the sedans we tried we built in the USA.

Those are just some of the things I noticed, but it doesn't mean anyone else would notice them or even care about them.

· Registered
20 SE sedan 6-mt, 18 Sportwagen 6-mt
152 Posts
We have an SE sedan and one of the things I like about it compared to my Golf Sportwagen is that I find the seats much more comfortable than the Golf. It's all relative I guess! Otherwise I find the Golf much more engaging to drive. However the Corolla does just fine at what we ask of it, being a reliable second car. It'll probably outlast the Golf!

· Registered
507 Posts
We have an SE sedan and one of the things I like about it compared to my Golf Sportwagen is that I find the seats much more comfortable than the Golf. It's all relative I guess! Otherwise I find the Golf much more engaging to drive. However the Corolla does just fine at what we ask of it, being a reliable second car. It'll probably outlast the Golf!
Is your Sedan made in Japan?

You're so right. It is all relative and even if the facts say otherwise and doesn't mean that's your reality! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
206 Posts
I don't want 16" wheels I prefer the 18" wheels that come on the Hatchback XSE has better driving dynamics. Also I have a bad back and believe it or not the stiffer ride is easier on my back. Going over speed bumps on my last car a 07 corolla LE sucked its like night and day with the '21 Hatchback.

· Registered
507 Posts
I don't want 16" wheels I prefer the 18" wheels that come on the Hatchback XSE has better driving dynamics. Also I have a bad back and believe it or not the stiffer ride is easier on my back. Going over speed bumps on my last car a 07 corolla LE sucked its like night and day with the '21 Hatchback.
I do find the ride in the HB to be very smooth for an entry level car with a short wheelbase.

21 - 40 of 154 Posts