Toyota Nation Forum banner

2022/2023 Corolla SE Sedan vs. 2022/2023 Corolla SE Hatchback

8684 Views 153 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  stingray427
I know the Corolla SE Sedan cost more than the Corolla SE Hatchback and is a larger car than the hatchback with much more cargo space.

Does this mean the Sedan is going to have a better more quiet ride as well as comfortable ride over the hatchback model on real world roads?

Both of these cars have the same 2.0 169 HP engine.
What are the performance specifications differences between these two cars with different bodystyles with the same engine?
Weight differences?

CVT vs. 6 spd. manual transmission performance?
I can drive either transmission but which transmission is going to be more reliable, with less problems and last longer? The CVT has been on the Corolla since 2018 and is warrantied by Toyota for 5 years. So now what does the test of time say about the Toyota CVT transmission?

Which Corolla SE between the Sedan and Hatchback will be more reliable, better comfortable ride with less road noise/engine noise?
  • Wow
Reactions: invader
41 - 60 of 154 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The base model in Canada comes with 15, which is what I have and we find the ride very quiet and comfortable for a vehicle in this segment.
That's were it's becomes confusing as the Canadian Corollas and the USA Corollas are both equipped different. I heard that the Canadian Corollas come with heated seats and the USA Corollas don't but I do not know if that is true or not. The SE with 16 would be fine for me as I have a lower back lumbar problem and neck problem. I understand the XSE has a stiffer ride than the SE.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
The HB sits a little lower, has a little more headroom, a little less legroom, and I found the base seat more supportive even with no lumbar, than the LE or SE of the sedan. I also found the seat more tilted forward so you get a better view looking out like I prefer. The sedan seats were uncomfortable for both myself and my wife.

There are many differences between the two that will impact the feel for some people. The HB has a shorter wheel base, weighs a little more, has the 2.0L engine in all models and also has bigger brakes in the front, I think the rear is the same.

There are also many fit and finish differences inside like back lit buttons, sun visors with lamps and a few other things.

There are pros and cons to both, but the biggest difference is the back seat and HB vs trunk and since we don't need a big back seat and the hatch is big enough for us with the rear seats up, it checked the most boxes and being built in Japan didn't hurt either vs the sedans we tried we built in the USA.

Those are just some of the things I noticed, but it doesn't mean anyone else would notice them or even care about them.
The HB is more sporty and I would think the HB is more agile than the larger sedan Corolla. I would think that the ride in the Corolla Sedan would be a little more comfortable than the HB since the Sedan is slightly larger wheelbase than HB but perhaps the differences in ride comfort in the Sedan and HB are so slight. The styling with HB is better to me and with the backseats folded down totally flat which looks alot better than the Sedan Corolla with seats folded down as the seats in the Sedan Corolla don't lay down totally flat like the HB.

· Registered
507 Posts
That's were it's becomes confusing as the Canadian Corollas and the USA Corollas are both equipped different. I heard that the Canadian Corollas come with heated seats and the USA Corollas don't but I do not know if that is true or not. The SE with 16 would be fine for me as I have a lower back lumbar problem and neck problem. I understand the XSE has a stiffer ride than the SE.
In Canada the SE and above get heated seats, but my base S doesn't.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
In Canada the SE and above get heated seats, but my base S doesn't.
Here in the USA no heated seats at least as standard equipment. A cool seat option would be fine with me. All I want is the blindspot warning system, best factory stereo system, 16 tires and 6 spd. manual trans. Do not want a sunroof or a stiff bumpy riding car because we have bad roads down here that are not maintained full of pot holes and lots of debris to dodge on roads.

· Registered
507 Posts
The HB is more sporty and I would think the HB is more agile than the larger sedan Corolla. I would think that the ride in the Corolla Sedan would be a little more comfortable than the HB since the Sedan is slightly larger wheelbase than HB but perhaps the differences in ride comfort in the Sedan and HB are so slight. The styling with HB is better to me and with the backseats folded down totally flat which looks alot better than the Sedan Corolla with seats folded down as the seats in the Sedan Corolla don't lay down totally flat like the HB.
We actually found the ride more comfortable on the HB and for some reason both got sore lower backs test driving sedans. I think it was because the seats weren't suited to us even though you'd think they'd be the same in the se sedan and HB.

I am sure the HB ride should be choppier than the sedan due to the shorter wheelbase, but my back flared up on both test drives of the sedan after about 15-20 minutes, but I've done several 600 mile+ 10 hour+ days of driving in the HB with no discomfort for either of us. We were surprised as we weren't considering the HB until we test drove it, based off of past experiences with Toyota HBs, but this one suits us really well. It has shortcomings, but nothing of major impact to us. The thing that annoys me the most is probably the lack of storage pockets etc.

I took the back seat headrests out permanently and thats another thing I've read, but don't know if it's true, that the sedans rear head rests don't come out. I like them out to increase visibilty and make it easier to fold the seats down.

· Registered
507 Posts
Here in the USA no heated seats at least as standard equipment. A cool seat option would be fine with me. All I want is the blindspot warning system, best factory stereo system, 16 tires and 6 spd. manual trans. Do not want a sunroof or a stiff bumpy riding car because we have bad roads down here that are not maintained full of pot holes and lots of debris to dodge on roads.
potholes is another reason I stick with 15 inch tires! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
We actually found the ride more comfortable on the HB and for some reason both got sore lower backs test driving sedans. I think it was because the seats weren't suited to us even though you'd think they'd be the same in the se sedan and HB.

I am sure the HB ride should be choppier than the sedan due to the shorter wheelbase, but my back flared up on both test drives of the sedan after about 15-20 minutes, but I've done several 600 mile+ 10 hour+ days of driving in the HB with no discomfort for either of us. We were surprised as we weren't considering the HB until we test drove it, based off of past experiences with Toyota HBs, but this one suits us really well. It has shortcomings, but nothing of major impact to us. The thing that annoys me the most is probably the lack of storage pockets etc.

I took the back seat headrests out permanently and thats another thing I've read, but don't know if it's true, that the sedans rear head rests don't come out. I like them out to increase visibilty and make it easier to fold the seats down.
Usually hatchback cars are more noisy than sedans since you have that open rear. If you need more storage pockets I know Costco sells or used to sell sheepskin seat covers (not fully sheepskin at 59.95) with big pocket in rear of the seatcover and are side air bag safe.

· Registered
507 Posts
Usually hatchback cars are more noisy than sedans since you have that open rear. If you need more storage pockets I know Costco sells or used to sell sheepskin seat covers (not fully sheepskin at 59.95) with big pocket in rear of the seatcover and are side air bag safe.
Thanks for the tip. I find this HB not to be loud. We wanted a Yaris HB before, but found it too loud etc. You reminded me the HB has a pocket behind each seat, but the sedan only has one behind the passenger.

· Registered
34 Posts
To chime in and match what others have said, I drove both. I decided on the XSE hatch.

• I thought the XSE was more enjoyable to drive. Handled better, felt more nimble.
  • I thought the Corolla sedan felt a little softer and didn't feel nearly as nimble. Likely because it's longer. Since I wanted a manual, the sedan offered less options compared to what you could get in the hatch as well.

I have a family of four (including one rear-facing 5 month old) and we fit in the Corolla hatch just fine. Because of that, I went with the hatch. I love having the extra options like leather, heated seats, etc.

If you need the extra space do the sedan. If space isn't a huge concern, the hatch is the way to go IMO.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
To chime in and match what others have said, I drove both. I decided on the XSE hatch.

• I thought the XSE was more enjoyable to drive. Handled better, felt more nimble.
  • I thought the Corolla sedan felt a little softer and didn't feel nearly as nimble. Likely because it's longer. Since I wanted a manual, the sedan offered less options compared to what you could get in the hatch as well.

I have a family of four (including one rear-facing 5 month old) and we fit in the Corolla hatch just fine. Because of that, I went with the hatch. I love having the extra options like leather, heated seats, etc.

If you need the extra space do the sedan. If space isn't a huge concern, the hatch is the way to go IMO.
You must be in the Canadian market because USA Corollas don't have those options and or as many choices as the Canadian market does. You guys get heated seats.
I test drove an SE Corolla hatchback but it had a CVT transmission which you had to pay extra for coming out to a price of $28,800+ with not any options. I would rather have the 6 spd. manual. over the CVT. I prefer the styling of the HB over the larger Corolla Sedan and the fact that when you fold the seats down in the HB they lay flat unlike the larger sedan with those seats not flat. I don't have to worry about transporting people in the back so the hatchback is a plus for me in loading and in style. Plus it has a smaller body so It would be more agile. I didn't get to test drive a sedan.
As far as the XSE I understand that model has a stiffer ride for better handling over the SE which has a more comfortable ride.

· Registered
507 Posts
You must be in the Canadian market because USA Corollas don't have those options and or as many choices as the Canadian market does. You guys get heated seats.
I test drove an SE Corolla hatchback but it had a CVT transmission which you had to pay extra for coming out to a price of $28,800+ with not any options. I would rather have the 6 spd. manual. over the CVT. I prefer the styling of the HB over the larger Corolla Sedan and the fact that when you fold the seats down in the HB they lay flat unlike the larger sedan with those seats not flat. I don't have to worry about transporting people in the back so the hatchback is a plus for me in loading and in style. Plus it has a smaller body so It would be more agile. I didn't get to test drive a sedan.
As far as the XSE I understand that model has a stiffer ride for better handling over the SE which has a more comfortable ride.
There's not any suspension difference between the HB models as far as I know. Only difference which would affect the ride are the rims and tires.

· Registered
Blue car
845 Posts
Actually ... the HBs that come with oem 18" wheels use different coils and shocks compare to the ones that come with non 18"s. I remember digging up this info. Don't know if this has changed over the years. See this old discussion:

· Registered
507 Posts
Actually ... the HBs that come with oem 18" wheels use different coils and shocks compare to the ones that come with non 18"s. I remember digging up this info. Don't know if this has changed over the years. See this old discussion:
I've never heard of that or seen anything on that before, but that's also like how I found out the hatch has bigger brakes on the front.

· Registered
3 Posts
The 2022 SE automatic transmission is not a standard CVT. It has an actual 1st gear then goes into the CVT. The LE has the standard CVT version.
As far as how quiet the sedan is. NOT AT ALL. Just bought my SE two weeks ago and as soon as I can I am going to pull the seats And rug and going to add sound deadening insulation. Love the car but it's noisy.

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
The 2022 SE automatic transmission is not a standard CVT. It has an actual 1st gear then goes into the CVT. The LE has the standard CVT version.
As far as how quiet the sedan is. NOT AT ALL. Just bought my SE two weeks ago and as soon as I can I am going to pull the seats And rug and going to add sound deadening insulation. Love the car but it's noisy.
For 2022:
1.8L gas engine gets CVT
2.0L gas engine gets Direct Shift CVT

For 2023:
1.8L gas only is no longer offered
All grades of gas get 2.0L and DS-CVT

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
For 2022:
1.8L gas engine gets CVT
2.0L gas engine gets Direct Shift CVT

For 2023:
1.8L gas only is no longer offered
All grades of gas get 2.0L and DS-CVT

What is the advantage of Direct Shift CVT over regular CVT? Will it last longer than regular CVT? Is the 6 speed manual transmission still more durable and trouble free than the Direct Drive CVT?

· Registered
👽 AP3X e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,576 Posts
What is the advantage of Direct Shift CVT over regular CVT? Will it last longer than regular CVT? Is the 6 speed manual transmission still more durable and trouble free than the Direct Drive CVT?
IMO manuals will (up at least until now) be more reliable than any CVT providing both were properly maintained.

The point of the direct shift CVT is to give a more connected feel to the car with the physical gear, less rubber banding sensation & better performance. Also with the gear responsible for launching the car, i'd suspect less wear & tear on CVT components a well.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
IMO manuals will (up at least until now) be more reliable than any CVT providing both were properly maintained.

The point of the direct shift CVT is to give a more connected feel to the car with the physical gear, less rubber banding sensation & better performance. Also with the gear responsible for launching the car, i'd suspect less wear & tear on CVT components a well.
That's good that the direct shift will contribute to less wear & tear on CVT components. That's what I was very concerned about on these CVT's even though I know Toyota has been using them for y ears now. I would prefer to get the 6 speed manual but understand they will discontinue the availability of that 6 speed manual in 2023 SE Corolla.

41 - 60 of 154 Posts