Toyota Nation Forum banner

2022/2023 Corolla SE Sedan vs. 2022/2023 Corolla SE Hatchback

8684 Views 153 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  stingray427
I know the Corolla SE Sedan cost more than the Corolla SE Hatchback and is a larger car than the hatchback with much more cargo space.

Does this mean the Sedan is going to have a better more quiet ride as well as comfortable ride over the hatchback model on real world roads?

Both of these cars have the same 2.0 169 HP engine.
What are the performance specifications differences between these two cars with different bodystyles with the same engine?
Weight differences?

CVT vs. 6 spd. manual transmission performance?
I can drive either transmission but which transmission is going to be more reliable, with less problems and last longer? The CVT has been on the Corolla since 2018 and is warrantied by Toyota for 5 years. So now what does the test of time say about the Toyota CVT transmission?

Which Corolla SE between the Sedan and Hatchback will be more reliable, better comfortable ride with less road noise/engine noise?
  • Wow
Reactions: invader
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

· I love what you do for me...Toyota!
2019 Corolla Hatchba
486 Posts
Perhaps more drivers abuse or don't know how to drive manuals in the most efficient manner?
I’ve been driving MT cars since the mid 90’s and never had a transmission fail like in my 2020 Corolla Hatchback. For the small sample size (from what I’ve seen only 2% sold have the MT) it’s a little disconcerting to hear about so many issues with the MT. And I owned a 2002 Subaru WRX that had what many considered a fragile transmission. The 1st gear synchro was replaced under warranty, but no other issues in my 10 years of ownership. [emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I’ve been driving MT cars since the mid 90’s and never had a transmission fail like in my 2020 Corolla Hatchback. For the small sample size (from what I’ve seen only 2% sold have the MT) it’s a little disconcerting to hear about so many issues with the MT. And I owned a 2002 Subaru WRX that had what many considered a fragile transmission. The 1st gear synchro was replaced under warranty, but no other issues in my 10 years of ownership. [emoji2373]

So you have the manual 6 spd. in a Corolla HB? I will probably opt. for the XSE Corolla and get whatever transmission I can get whether it be a 2022 6 spd. manual or a 2023 Corolla CVT as the XSE comes standard with foglights, blindspot warning system, with their top of the line JBL stereo system with AMP which comes as standard equipment on XSE Corolla HB. The 18 inch low profile tires and wheels are also standard on XSE but I will see if dealership can switch those 18 for a 16 off a SE Corolla since the 16 tires cost less to replace, provide a better comfortable ride and wear longer than low profile tires as well as you have more tire selections in the 16 inch sizes.

· Registered
27 Posts
I know the Corolla SE Sedan cost more than the Corolla SE Hatchback and is a larger car than the hatchback with much more cargo space.

Does this mean the Sedan is going to have a better more quiet ride as well as comfortable ride over the hatchback model on real world roads?

Both of these cars have the same 2.0 169 HP engine.
What are the performance specifications differences between these two cars with different bodystyles with the same engine?
Weight differences?

CVT vs. 6 spd. manual transmission performance?
I can drive either transmission but which transmission is going to be more reliable, with less problems and last longer? The CVT has been on the Corolla since 2018 and is warrantied by Toyota for 5 years. So now what does the test of time say about the Toyota CVT transmission?

Which Corolla SE between the Sedan and Hatchback will be more reliable, better comfortable ride with less road noise/engine noise?
I test drove the hatch, it was garbage, rough, noisy, cramped, not really that much space in the trunk unless you keep the seats down, I told the salesman, this is garbage, he looked at me in kinda disgust, then we drove the sedan, he and the other passenger said almost together, what a difference. The sedan rides better, and is quiter, but still not worth $24,000 there are better cars out there for that money.
I am trading my 2022 SE Sedan in for a Hyundai. The CVT transmission is the worst there is, oh its good at first, but I am at 3500 miles and boy are they bad, vibrates, the fake shifting jerks worse than any car I have had, yes, it fakes gear shifts, and under aceleration, it will jerk the whole driveline, and tug the steering as it changes gear, and the engines, vibrate way too much, the sound sysytem is very poor, the infotainment crashes or freezes a lot.

The lane tracing is dangerous and I would not recommend using it,ive had in at the dealership, it pulls to the left and hugs the line, you will hit a wall or a car if using it, not fixed still the same, many others have complained too, AC, if you live in southern California will disappoint you, seats are good for a short 50 mile drive, town mpg is 22, freeway is 32 with out AC and driving around 75mph, I did get 42 once late at night just cruising around 70 with no AC.

I know if I hate it so much, why buy it, at the time within 200 miles that is all I could find, 3 corollas, and i am not paying $38,000 for a base camry, and my Mazda 3, it, got bought back under lemon law, so I needed a car.

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I test drove the hatch, it was garbage, rough, noisy, cramped, not really that much space in the trunk unless you keep the seats down, I told the salesman, this is garbage, he looked at me in kinda disgust, then we drove the sedan, he and the other passenger said almost together, what a difference. The sedan rides better, and is quiter, but still not worth $24,000 there are better cars out there for that money.
I am trading my 2022 SE Sedan in for a Hyundai. The CVT transmission is the worst there is, oh its good at first, but I am at 3500 miles and boy are they bad, vibrates, the fake shifting jerks worse than any car I have had, yes, it fakes gear shifts, and under aceleration, it will jerk the whole driveline, and tug the steering as it changes gear, and the engines, vibrate way too much, the sound sysytem is very poor, the infotainment crashes or freezes a lot.

The lane tracing is dangerous and I would not recommend using it,ive had in at the dealership, it pulls to the left and hugs the line, you will hit a wall or a car if using it, not fixed still the same, many others have complained too, AC, if you live in southern California will disappoint you, seats are good for a short 50 mile drive, town mpg is 22, freeway is 32 with out AC and driving around 75mph, I did get 42 once late at night just cruising around 70 with no AC.

I know if I hate it so much, why buy it, at the time within 200 miles that is all I could find, 3 corollas, and i am not paying $38,000 for a base camry, and my Mazda 3, it, got bought back under lemon law, so I needed a car.
Base Camry is in mid-20s, at $38K you are looking at top grade XSE:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive lighting

Why was your Mazda 3 a lemon?

I am glad you realize that Corolla may not a car for you. Hopefully Hyundai will be a better match.

Happy motoring!

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: voodoo22

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·

You are one of the few I have heard compliants about the Toyota CVT as well as both Sedan and HB model at such low mileage on top of that. I prefer the styling of the HB much better than sedan and I would fold the two rear seats down for more space on HB. I don't transport passengers. I would have preferred to get the 6 spd. manual but now with the 2023 models coming out that transmission has been discontinued and the CVT is the only transmission available.
At this point of time and at that price point of $24,000 which are the more ideal cars that are better than the Toyota Corolla?
I wouldn't get the Camry as I do not like the styling of that car and it is made in the USA.

2019 Corolla Hatchba
486 Posts
So you have the manual 6 spd. in a Corolla HB? I will probably opt. for the XSE Corolla and get whatever transmission I can get whether it be a 2022 6 spd. manual or a 2023 Corolla CVT as the XSE comes standard with foglights, blindspot warning system, with their top of the line JBL stereo system with AMP which comes as standard equipment on XSE Corolla HB. The 18 inch low profile tires and wheels are also standard on XSE but I will see if dealership can switch those 18 for a 16 off a SE Corolla since the 16 tires cost less to replace, provide a better comfortable ride and wear longer than low profile tires as well as you have more tire selections in the 16 inch sizes.
I used to have a 6 speed Corolla Hatch XSE. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, 6 spd or CVT. The manual will be more engaging to drive for sure. If you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, it will get old though. [emoji28] Some people will say you get used to it, I don’t agree, it sucks.
The XSE trim is worth it for several reasons, especially if you need heated seats. You also get smart key and blind spot monitoring like you mentioned. The softex seats are pretty good, but honestly the SE cloth seats feel more sporty and hold you in place better. Fog lights are nice for the style, not so much for seeing any better in the fog though. [emoji6]
About the wheels, I would test drive an SE with the 16’s and XSE with 18’s before you decide to swap them. The bigger sidewall on the 16” tires has a much softer feel while cornering. It’s great for bad pavement and potholes though. In my opinion the 18’s actually ride very nice and compliant, and also corner better. There isn’t a lot of sidewall on that tire size so you have to be more careful. The previous owner of my hatch damaged two of the wheels badly. Either from bumping against curbs or potholes. One of the wheels was actually dented near the middle of the wheel, so they hit something hard.
I guess my point is, don’t immediately write off the 18’s. They handle better and ride nice, you just can’t rally drive your car. [emoji1]

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I used to have a 6 speed Corolla Hatch XSE. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, 6 spd or CVT. The manual will be more engaging to drive for sure. If you deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, it will get old though. [emoji28] Some people will say you get used to it, I don’t agree, it sucks.
The XSE trim is worth it for several reasons, especially if you need heated seats. You also get smart key and blind spot monitoring like you mentioned. The softex seats are pretty good, but honestly the SE cloth seats feel more sporty and hold you in place better. Fog lights are nice for the style, not so much for seeing any better in the fog though. [emoji6]
About the wheels, I would test drive an SE with the 16’s and XSE with 18’s before you decide to swap them. The bigger sidewall on the 16” tires has a much softer feel while cornering. It’s great for bad pavement and potholes though. In my opinion the 18’s actually ride very nice and compliant, and also corner better. There isn’t a lot of sidewall on that tire size so you have to be more careful. The previous owner of my hatch damaged two of the wheels badly. Either from bumping against curbs or potholes. One of the wheels was actually dented near the middle of the wheel, so they hit something hard.
I guess my point is, don’t immediately write off the 18’s. They handle better and ride nice, you just can’t rally drive your car. [emoji1]

I don't drive in that fashion as this is an economy car so for me the 16 inch tires n wheels would be a better choice as the tires cost less to replace, last longer and you have more selections as I did check with America's Tire. More rubber means more cushion so better protection and a better comfortable ride. I get too much curb bash on the car I have now to already know I don't want low profile tires or wheels as the cost to repair them is high. I want the better fuel economy of the 16's over the cosmetics and handling improvement ( IF ANY) over the 18''s which are more prone to getting damaged on these horrible roads. I like the idea of the fogs, blindspot warning system, top of the line stereo system and as you mentioned the heated seats as I forgot about that all of which are all standard equipment on the XSE.

2019 Corolla Hatchba
486 Posts
I don't drive in that fashion as this is an economy car so for me the 16 inch tires n wheels would be a better choice as the tires cost less to replace, last longer and you have more selections as I did check with America's Tire. More rubber means more cushion so better protection and a better comfortable ride. I get too much curb bash on the car I have now to already know I don't want low profile tires or wheels as the cost to repair them is high. I want the better fuel economy of the 16's over the cosmetics and handling improvement ( IF ANY) over the 18''s which are more prone to getting damaged on these horrible roads. I like the idea of the fogs, blindspot warning system, top of the line stereo system and as you mentioned the heated seats as I forgot about that all of which are all standard equipment on the XSE.
I can understand going for the 16’s. They are less expensive to replace tires on, and have a softer ride. Gas mileage could also be improved, but I would guess the difference is small. Unless you are talking about low rolling resistance tires. (Prius tires [emoji16])
It almost sounds like an XLE with 16”s might be an even better choice for you? I hardly ever see those available but it would have all the convenience and safety stuff without the stiffer ride.
There absolutely is a handling difference though. I’ve owned several versions of the 12th Gen Corolla, so I have a lot of seat time with both. I’m not talking about track handling but just the confidence to turn sharply without the tire flexing a bunch. In any case, if you do want to swap them it should be easy to find someone with the 16”s that would be willing to trade. I’m not sure how the dealership would handle it.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I can understand going for the 16’s. They are less expensive to replace tires on, and have a softer ride. Gas mileage could also be improved, but I would guess the difference is small. Unless you are talking about low rolling resistance tires. (Prius tires [emoji16])
It almost sounds like an XLE with 16”s might be an even better choice for you? I hardly ever see those available but it would have all the convenience and safety stuff without the stiffer ride.
There absolutely is a handling difference though. I’ve owned several versions of the 12th Gen Corolla, so I have a lot of seat time with both. I’m not talking about track handling but just the confidence to turn sharply without the tire flexing a bunch. In any case, if you do want to swap them it should be easy to find someone with the 16”s that would be willing to trade. I’m not sure how the dealership would handle it.

I will have to find out how the dealership would handle a transaction like this. Keyword you mention "softer ride" which is what I want. I don't want to feel the road as we have bad roads. If anything else I want something that would help isolate the bumps in the road. Don't want those types of tires that will magnify unstable road and give an unstable bumpy ride.
I still would go for the XSE model over all others. Originally I thought it was the SE model but once I found out some small differences between SE and XSE, the XSE sounds alot better. I don't know what the XLE model is about. Especially as this car year ends and we enter 2023. Perhaps that XLE gets the same 2.0 engine all of these Corollas now share?

2019 Corolla Hatchba
486 Posts
I will have to find out how the dealership would handle a transaction like this. Keyword you mention "softer ride" which is what I want. I don't want to feel the road as we have bad roads. If anything else I want something that would help isolate the bumps in the road. Don't want those types of tires that will magnify unstable road and give an unstable bumpy ride.
I still would go for the XSE model over all others. Originally I thought it was the SE model but once I found out some small differences between SE and XSE, the XSE sounds alot better. I don't know what the XLE model is about. Especially as this car year ends and we enter 2023. Perhaps that XLE gets the same 2.0 engine all of these Corollas now share?
I totally get it, especially living somewhere with bad roads. The roads in north Texas are a mix of good and bad. They use concrete that shifts over time and creates gaps.

If your dealership isn’t sure how to handle it, I know you could find someone (probably on this forum) that would want to swap their 16’s for the XSE 18’s. The 18’s are more expensive of course, as are the tires.

I thought the XLE was available with the 2.0 liter engine but it looks like only the 1.8 was available. That might be changing for the 2023 model year? The XLE basically gives you all the “luxury” options, a softer suspension, leather (softex?) seats, and sunroof. I hardly ever see them though, so an XSE should be easier to find.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
I totally get it, especially living somewhere with bad roads. The roads in north Texas are a mix of good and bad. They use concrete that shifts over time and creates gaps.

If your dealership isn’t sure how to handle it, I know you could find someone (probably on this forum) that would want to swap their 16’s for the XSE 18’s. The 18’s are more expensive of course, as are the tires.

I thought the XLE was available with the 2.0 liter engine but it looks like only the 1.8 was available. That might be changing for the 2023 model year? The XLE basically gives you all the “luxury” options, a softer suspension, leather (softex?) seats, and sunroof. I hardly ever see them though, so an XSE should be easier to find.

I will keep that in mind of someone on here wanting the 18's. I will have to see how dealership would or could do a transaction like this on an Corolla XSE model swap out the 18's that come with it and replace them with the 16's from a SE Corolla.

If worse came to worse I guess one could just accept the XSE as it is then buy 4 new SE 16 tires n wheels from Toyota. Then when the 18 wear out have the 16's put on. This would be an expensive option. 🤑

Also just accept the 18's on XSE and use them till they wear out then see how liveable those are and if not acceptable to me then I can get the 16's after trying out and wearing out the 18's on XSE ( With me tires in general go a long time. I got 11 years or 52,000+ miles on speed rated Continental DWS, 44,000 miles, 7 years on Goodyear speed rated Runflat tires),
then get the 16 when the 18's wear out but not wait too long as I would want NEW 16 SE Tires.

· Registered
39 Posts

Many things are subjective. I certainly wouldn't say our hatch is garbage by any means. It’s quite nice and very comfortable. As for the rear leg room? I extensively test drove it and spent a decent amount of time checking out everything before I signed on the line. I was aware of the tight rear quarters. But I also knew it would be 1 to 2 people in the car at any given time and more than 2 would have little trouble once they were in the back. But if we need to go somewhere as a family for any length of time we take the wife's '22 sedan or my daughter's '19 sedan (which has more room than all of them). Doesn't seem fair to blame Toyota after the fact for things that should be obvious during the inspection/test drive phase.....like space and comfort.

The transmission is fine for me. No real complaints. Zero issues with the AC on either 22. Both cool very well. Temps in the mid 80s to 100° are common here during the summer. Rolling down the windows for the first minute or so is common practice around here and helps purge the cabin of that initial bubble of hot air. Makes for a quicker cool down.

I will agree that the lane departure assist is too aggressive. That's the case in both of our '22s. I just went in to the settings and turned the steering assist off. I still get the warning if I wander out of the lane but no aggressive wheel correction. The steering assist in our '19 is perfect....very subtle. Not sure why Toyota opted to amp it up on this model.

For an "economy car" Toyota has done a nice job with the current Corolla. I encourage you to peruse the Hyundai forums before buying one. All makes and models have issues from time to time. But Hyundai/KIA have been struggling with engine durability for a few years now. Just make sure whatever model you're looking at isn't in that category

· Registered
21 Corolla Hatch
57 Posts
Good comments by Hogwash. I specifically bought the hatch because I'm a golfer and the only person who is ever in the car. The rear seats are always folded down (I have a rubber mat that covers the whole back area). Getting clubs in and out is perfect.

I really think the Corolla is more comfortable than our Camry. The Camry is the sports model and the suspension is way to stiff for my liking. I could do without the driving assist - although I do like the lane minder and if you ever need it the "stop for object in the way" is fantastic.

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Good comments by Hogwash. I specifically bought the hatch because I'm a golfer and the only person who is ever in the car. The rear seats are always folded down (I have a rubber mat that covers the whole back area). Getting clubs in and out is perfect.

I really think the Corolla is more comfortable than our Camry. The Camry is the sports model and the suspension is way to stiff for my liking. I could do without the driving assist - although I do like the lane minder and if you ever need it the "stop for object in the way" is fantastic.
I don't care for the styling of the Camry and the price of it. Prefer the Corolla styling and economy.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts