Toyota Nation Forum banner

2022/2023 Venza Limited Infotainment Display - Can Android Auto show Google Maps full-screen?

1758 Views 24 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  dklanecky
I'm currently driving a 2020 Mazda CX-5, which has the "tiny" 7-inch infotainment screen (of course they went bigger in 2021). I find that Google Maps on that tiny screen is almost impossible to read in dark-mode at night with my particular vision prescription. It seems that in most of the screenshots I see of Android Auto on the Venza, the actual navigation map only takes up part of the screen. So my question is can the Venza Limited's infotainment screen use the full display for navigation in Google Maps? Or will it only take up part of the display, making it not much better than my CX-5?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
While it's great to see that there's a much usable display with better Google integration, I really hope that they allow for AndroidAuto and Carplay navigation prompts on the MID and HUD. Also, the subscription is packed into a 3x cost as opposed to something you'd have to pay to keep remote start active. I hope they've been able to decouple the remote start from subscription in the new version. Might be good to verify before deciding 22 vs 23 model if thats important to you.

· Registered
237 Posts
The map is near worthless, do to being out dated if your going anywhere were there is construction and or new roads the best choice is the phone. No matter what size the screen is...... So you paying for something your not getting.....

· Registered
18 Posts
I think the 23 model comes with Google Maps right? The subscription after say 1 year would be to keep that Google maps connected, or you can use your AndroidAuto/CarPlay setup with probably a larger screen. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I may be under a wrong assumption from old articles that I recall reading.

· Premium Member
150 Posts
You have to use android auto/carplay to use google maps. And you're right about the Toyota maps being garbage. We drove rte 66 in out '21 and the maps directed us down roads that didn't exist showed us to be going cross-country while on paved highways. Always good to have a backup map system.

· Registered
2021 Venza Limited
30 Posts
You know, if anyone is really interested in the new infotainment, all you have to do is scroll on over to the Highlander forum, and ask someone who has a 2023. Other than physical controls, they have the exact same infotaiment as the Venza, same as the previous gen.

· Registered
237 Posts
You know, if anyone is really interested in the new infotainment, all you have to do is scroll on over to the Highlander forum, and ask someone who has a 2023. Other than physical controls, they have the exact same infotaiment as the Venza, same as the previous gen.
I guess you are paying for something that doesn't work, starting to sound like Honda......

· Registered
237 Posts
Toyota has always been at least a generation behind the rest of the world. I'm sure with these improvements they feel they won't have to make any more changes for 10 years.
Maybe more than that, on a road yesterday that is 30 years old and it shows me out in a field. I can't believe what I paid for that option that is garbage......

· Registered
18 Posts
I might be overdoing it but I use an additional phone mounted on windshield just running Waze, and the media screen running Google Maps or Sygic interchangeably. Waze saves me money not running automated speed cams which triggers at any speed above posted limit regardless if its 1 above. I like the Sygic's 3D view and that it allows for offline maps for some remote drives. This setup also allows me to use 360 cam on Auto for stop signs and intersections. Always best to know there's nothing or no one in front of the car before moving ahead.

· Registered
2021 Venza XLE with upgraded seats and infotainment system
288 Posts
Took delivery today. 2023 XLE. I can confirm Apple Car Play is full screen. Also, the control touchpad is slightly easier to use than previous year models.

The low speed pedestrian warning sound is much lower and better! All positive changes.
View attachment 407110
Thanks for posting the picture! Very helpful. I have the 2022 XLE with big screen, and the capacitive touch controls are not fun to use. I see that the whole capacitive touch array is now dedicated to the climate system, which is interesting. Where are the 'map', 'home', 'menu' buttons, and where is the audio 'skip/rewind' combo? If they are now forced onto the main touchscreen (MID), I'm not sure that's an improvement! If I'm driving along using carplay (or android auto), and want to skip to next track, do I have to switch from map display to audio control display, or similar?

I like using the MID touch controls less than I like using the capacitive touch panel!

· Registered
2021 Venza XLE with upgraded seats and infotainment system
288 Posts
I might be overdoing it but I use an additional phone mounted on windshield just running Waze, and the media screen running Google Maps or Sygic interchangeably. Waze saves me money not running automated speed cams which triggers at any speed above posted limit regardless if its 1 above. I like the Sygic's 3D view and that it allows for offline maps for some remote drives. This setup also allows me to use 360 cam on Auto for stop signs and intersections. Always best to know there's nothing or no one in front of the car before moving ahead.
Thanks for the tip on 'Sygic' - I'll try it out.

The built-in nav system of the Venza is pretty pathetic, like most 'in car' nav's I've experienced - clearly not their specialty. Google Maps wins hands down for nav every time for so many reasons. BUT - while google maps is great for navigation, it's useless for 'positional awareness'. When using Google maps, all you know is, you are heading along a street or freeway, and you need to turn in 'x' miles. If you are on a long drive, it's also nice to know where you are 'spatially' - are you half way there, are you almost there, how close are you to the next town, etc. So I typically run google maps on my phone for navigation, mounted in a holder, and then have the built-in map on display, zoomed out quite a bit to give me a sense of where I am.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts