Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my iPhone. The wireless charger in the 2022 Highlander used to work okay but not great with the old phone. With the new phone, it flashes on and off with the connection. The bevel on the phone case apparently lifts it too far off the mat, so it doesn't maintain a charging connection.

Has anybody encountered this, and more importantly figured out a fix. Otherwise it is useless and I may remove it.

· Registered
123 Posts
Wireless (Qi - pronounced "chee") charging relies on inductive coupling between a coil of wire in the charging pad and a coil of wire in the phone. Basically, the charging pad generates a magnetic field that the coil in the phone must be able to pick up.

A few things to consider:
1. This system works most efficiently with the closest and most unobstructed positioning of the two coils.
2. A phone case never makes this situation better.
3. A phone case may contain materials that block or interfere with the magnetic field.
4. A phone case will always increase the distance between the two coils thus decreasing the speed/reliability of the charge.

Troubleshooting a wireless charging issue always begins by removing any case or other attachment on the back panel of the phone.

· Registered
43 Posts
I replaced my iPhone. The wireless charger in the 2022 Highlander used to work okay but not great with the old phone. With the new phone, it flashes on and off with the connection. The bevel on the phone case apparently lifts it too far off the mat, so it doesn't maintain a charging connection.

Has anybody encountered this, and more importantly figured out a fix. Otherwise it is useless and I may remove it.
The fix is easy..take off the phone case.

· Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
2,313 Posts
Between the location of the wireless charger in the 2020-2022 Highlander, it's extremely slow rate of charging, and the fact that my phone+case doesn't really even fit into the charger... I never use it. Ultimately, if I need to charge my phone- I just plug it in... which is required to get Carplay to work anyway.

I'd probably use the wireless charger on the 2023+ Highlander more often- because it's location is more convenient and upper trim levels have the wireless Carplay option.

Honestly, I didn't use the wireless chargers in any of my previous vehicles either. Most are pretty useless- as their charge rate is extremely low.

· Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Thickness of the phone case is definitely an issue. Even 1 mm can make a big difference in how well the charger does or doesn't work.

· Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum - Wind Chill Pearl
897 Posts

Replace the phone case with a tinner one. My wife doesn't have any issues with her iPhone, but she doesn't have a bulky phone case that gets in the way.

· Registered
73 Posts

Just a side note, the wireless charging in my 2021 Avalon has the same problem and it's not usable.

· Registered
228 Posts
Just a poor quality part
Yes it is. The max output is only 5 Watts. Thats the bare minimum these days. Fast charging is considered 12 watts or more. Contrast this Toyota part with the one I had in my 2017 Impala. My Impala was a fast charger - so much so that Chevrolet engineered a small A/C vent that blew cold air between the phone and charger to keep it cool - and believe me it needed it.

· Registered
73 Posts
Yes it is. The max output is only 5 Watts. Thats the bare minimum these days. Fast charging is considered 12 watts or more. Contrast this Toyota part with the one I had in my 2017 Impala. My Impala was a fast charger - so much so that Chevrolet engineered a small A/C vent that blew cold air between the phone and charger to keep it cool - and believe me it needed it.
Ontop of that, the coil is too picky on the position of the phone. Even without a protective case on my phone, it has trouble engaging the charging.

· Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
2,341 Posts
That's because it's a Qi wireless charger, and uses the low power specification of up to 5 watts. The medium power Qi is up to 120 watts.

· Registered
123 Posts
Someone needs to come out with an aftermarket upgrade for the oem toyota part
Haven't seen an oem replacement but there are some third party options for the 2022 and earlier Highlanders.
Here is a review of one by forum member @KambientRE:

Youtube - Wireless Charger Review

I don't know (can someone verify?) if the 2023 Highlanders have the pass-through opening from the storage shelf to the USB plugins below. And, can the factory pad be disabled (pull a fuse) in the 2023? If not, this one may not be ideal in a 2023. But there are a variety of generic 12V Qi chargers available:

Amazon - Qi Charger Search

· Registered
67 Posts
My s22 Ultra with a slim case does not fit into my 2020 HL. I tried the 2023 Highlander with relicated charger and guess what? Also too small for phone to fit in. They put a bevel so phone does not move around but the bigger phones wont fit. Great idea!!

· Registered
228 Posts
Ontop of that, the coil is too picky on the position of the phone. Even without a protective case on my phone, it has trouble engaging the charging.
Well the Highlander has a motorized coil that tries to automagically locate the coil in the right spot. It seems to work for me. I just lay my iPhone 13 with apple case in the tray and the thing auto aligns and charges the phone - albeit slowly, but it does charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts