Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any thoughts on new paint options for the 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid? Currently considering the following:
  • Midnight Black Metallic
  • Wind Chill Pearl
  • Ice Edge
  • Predawn Gray Mica

If I select Midnight Black Metallic, it would be several black vehicles in a row so perhaps it is time for a switch. One note is that the 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE only comes with black wheels so it is almost a default Nightshade set up in that aspect. I even went in and looked over several of the colors in person and there are a lot on the road except for the new Ice Edge, but it is a toss up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks - why? I agree.. actually. The white is pretty flat.

I recently received some photos of the new Ice Edge which appears to be a cross between flat and pearl, but have to look at them closely, and better to see in person. I really like the Wind Chill Pearl. The problem with black is that every single scratch of any significance shows the white coat underneath. I think variants of white and the Predawn Gray Mica will hide scratches the best.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback SE CVT
384 Posts
I've only seen the white peel on those that were taken care of very poorly. The ones that actually take care of the paint with washing and waxing I don't see issues. White is the #1 Toyota color sold in Hawaii.

I will say that whatever color you choose, the newer paints are softer and chip easier. A PPF that covers the whole hood and front bumper would help a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sales representative took me around to see several colors in person, sent me photos of the Ice Age, and even provided the heads up on another dealership that had an Ice Edge in their inventory. I went to see it yesterday in person, and they actually had all these other colors I mentioned above as well.

The videos and photos do not really capture that paint so if you are considering then it is best to go see it in person. Easy to decide if you could have it for a few days lol. I really like black so much, but any scratch will easily show the white base paint layers underneath.

Here is California due to paint requirements, I think overall all the paints are pretty weak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selecting Midnight Black Metallic so we'll see if it comes in. Although I looked at so many Toyota/ Lexus and other vehicles all week - thousands and thousands and thousands, it was some recent JDM videos right out of Tokyo that influenced me the most.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any thoughts on new paint options for the 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid? Currently considering the following:
  • Midnight Black Metallic
  • Wind Chill Pearl
  • Ice Edge
  • Predawn Gray Mica

If I select Midnight Black Metallic, it would be several black vehicles in a row so perhaps it is time for a switch. One note is that the 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid XSE only comes with black wheels so it is almost a default Nightshade set up in that aspect. I even went in and looked over several of the colors in person and there are a lot on the road except for the new Ice Edge, but it is a toss up.
I just picked up the celestial silver w black top n love it, get a lot of compliments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just picked up the celestial silver w black top n love it, get a lot of compliments
Nice... I really think Toyota made a hit with the black top/ back combinations, but I am stepping up to a Camry so it would be too much of a push for me. They look awesome and is very unique, boss like look to the Camry. Enjoy!

For me it was recent JDM videos that pushed me back to 3x black again as a lot of high end rides over there now are using very bright colors and very dark colors and idk lol. Here are two good examples:

Capt Two6: REAL LIFE UNDERGROUND JDM CAR MEET IN JAPAN | TOKYO DRIFT STYLE!
SAMMIT: JAPANESE CAR CULTURE AT IT’S BEST!

Now that I looked these up again, I thought the one from SAMMIT was much more recent than 2019 like literally a 2021, but there are many JDM channels out there. The Ice Edge literally had me looking at 10,000s of cars and trucks of all sorts on the freeway both directions and on the streets for days so I had to just go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated check received yesterday. Will not provide all details, but with the state of the market for Camry Hybrids or likely most any new vehicle, customers are really going to have to decide on color AND options or be waiting quite a long time. Toyota is making decisions on all of this and their are extremely limited production numbers.

For my situation... I am waiting. I have looked very hard at Pearl White, Artic White, and Predawn Gray Mica again vs Black and still want Black. I understand what they are trying to do with Artic White and this is a new trend, but other variants of the 'cementy' white from other makes seem to look better and colors like Cavalry Blue look better IMO. I am pushed back expected ETA to the fall, but might get a surprise - it is that difficult lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Black is the new unicorn in Toyota World. It could be that due to the Nightshade concept and black wheels on 2022s that they decided to make very few black.

I am giving them until around July to come up with a solution by lease extending then I go all out.... All dealership/ all lease brokerage/ all pre-owned in contention. By late summer/ fall the 2023s should start also coming in... lol Sales staff is so __tt hurt over extended lack of inventory, they will typically try to pass off situations on to the customer. Don't buy this malarky.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am waiting on a XSE Hybrid.
My first choice is Ice Edge, then in order of preference: Predawn Gray Mica, Supersonic Red, Windchill pearl.
The biggest hangup on my order isn't really the paint but the package. Drive Assist with cooled seats is apparently something with very very limited production.
I'm willing to just keep waiting. I've got a promise of no market adjustments or dealership added packages. Straight up MSRP, in writing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. I think production is very low across the board. Regarding color, the dealerships could easily have a paint boutique with some sample body part shape in various colors and under different lighting for people to see - especially for new colors being released.

I have a decision to make later where I can either open up to additional colors and/ or unleash one or more lease brokers to get to work. I don't care 'how bad the market is', but I think skilled lease brokers will do as well or better because they can deal with a number of dealerships across the board. Current reps may not really understand how loyal many of us are being to staying in line working with them only. I have successfully lease brokered several vehicles before and every time I got exactly what I wanted, it was delivered to me, and I only signed paperwork upon delivery, etc.

Also, a 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid that is a royal pain in the ___ to acquire is still going to have a tough time holding the line against a number of pre-owned Lexus and other vehicles out there. It's lucky oil is trading where it is at, but as clients we should be extremely tired of hearing about chips, production cuts, and other 1st world problems. Especially since some parts of the world are at war, and we are talking about cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Given the options, does exterior color really matter? Overall, there are very few models across the entire market that have any interesting colors outside of the typical white, black, silver, gunmetals, etc. Typically more boutique/ economy models then jumping to very high end/ exotics is where companies are venturing into interesting shades.

Also, when you are driving, you pretty much don't see the outside of a vehicle lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Given the options, does exterior color really matter? Overall, there are very few models across the entire market that have any interesting colors outside of the typical white, black, silver, gunmetals, etc. Typically more boutique/ economy models then jumping to very high end/ exotics is where companies are venturing into interesting shades.

Also, when you are driving, you pretty much don't see the outside of a vehicle lol.
You see it when you park it unless you close your eyes everytime you exit the car.

Black shows scratchs easily and white is hard to wax when wax is white.

Lesson learned personally - never pay extra for paint color.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Figures I run across this just now lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts