Toyota Nation Forum banner

2023 Accord vs. Camry

3020 Views 39 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Vegashybrid
The battle goes on:

Honda just came out with a new 11th-gen model. Will Toyota follow suit with a 9th-gen in 2024?

The only real noteworthy issues I have with my 2018 Camry 4-cyl SE are the transmission problem and insufficient headroom. Other than that I've loved the car since the day I bought it in August 2017. If Toyota can fix those two issues in their 2024 model I'll be sold on another Camry.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
The battle goes on:

Honda just came out with a new 11th-gen model. Will Toyota follow suit with a 9th-gen in 2024?

The only real noteworthy issues I have with my 2018 Camry 4-cyl SE are the transmission problem and insufficient headroom. Other than that I've loved the car since the day I bought it in August 2017. If Toyota can fix those two issues in their 2024 model I'll be sold on another Camry.
I've had the 2018 LE (J-vin) since day1, and I did not see any issues with the transmission. Regardless, I'm sure whatever issue was there is now resolved? I don't see any more (new) complaints for the transmission... The headroom is a tough one, esp. if you are taller. But I absolutely love that I can do 45 mpg easy with a eco-minded driving style on a gas-only car!

· Registered
2018 Camry SE
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the 2018 LE (J-vin) since day1, and I did not see any issues with the transmission. Regardless, I'm sure whatever issue was there is now resolved? I don't see any more (new) complaints for the transmission... The headroom is a tough one, esp. if you are taller. But I absolutely love that I can do 45 mpg easy with a eco-minded driving style on a gas-only car!
On my 2018 SE (US made) I had the dealer install T-SB-0152-19 a few years ago. At first it seemed like there was some noticeable improvement. But after a while the original transmission problem returned. These days there is a MAJOR hesitation on acceleration from a slow roll or rolling stop. When I hit the gas there's about a 2-second delay until the car takes off. I've learned to deal with it because like I said everything else about the car I like.

Like you I love that I can average 40-45 mpg with a eco-minded driving style on a gas-only car.

· Registered
311 Posts
Honda dropped the 2.0T, I guess that means Toyota will follow suit and cut the V6 soon. I wouldn't buy either if ~200 HP is the top choice.

I'm sure whatever issue was there is now resolved? I don't see any more (new) complaints for the transmission.
Or people just stopped complaining and learned to live with it, like me. My trans is up to date and not always smooth. It's jerky AF in rolling stop situations.

· Registered
254 Posts
Or people just stopped complaining and learned to live with it, like me. My trans is up to date and not always smooth. It's jerky AF in rolling stop situations.
Same for the trans on my 2022. That would be my only complaint about it. If you are in a hurry and go from off-throttle to on-throttle quickly when slow rolling it has a dead spot, then it hits. The solution is to drive like an old person (guess I'm getting there!) From what I've read, the early 8-speeds had other issues that were resolved with the reflash. I have no complaints about how my car chooses gears or how often it shifts.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
On my 2018 SE (US made) I had the dealer install T-SB-0152-19 a few years ago. At first it seemed like there was some noticeable improvement. But after a while the original transmission problem returned. These days there is a MAJOR hesitation on acceleration from a slow roll or rolling stop. When I hit the gas there's about a 2-second delay until the car takes off. I've learned to deal with it because like I said everything else about the car I like.
If the TSB was done correctly, it's a permanent fix. I had mine done at 10K and it's still great at 50K. It sounds like your dealer just cleared the memory and let it re-learn.

· Camry Freak
2021 Highlander
2,313 Posts
Honestly, the 2.0t motor was the best part of the 10th Generation Accord. I've driven the 1.5t and the hybrid powertrains too- but the 2.0t engine is what really makes the Accord a great car. The 1.5t is pretty lackluster and rough sounding (not that the target demographic generally cares). The hybrid is a bit better- but I just don't have faith in Honda's hybrid system being reliable long-term.

I think that styling was one of the major downsides of the 10th Generation Accord... and one of the reasons why customers seemed to prefer the Camry by a large margin. The front-end styling (with the chrome unibrow) wasn't to everyone's liking and the C-shaped taillights weren't everyone's cup of tea. The Camry is much more attractive by comparison. Inside, the Accord seemed significantly better than the current Camry- both in terms of quality and ease of use. The problem though- if the car isn't attractive enough on the outside- buyers aren't ever going to see the inside.

I was extremely disappointed when they announced that the 11th Gen Accord would be dropping the 2.0t engine option. The styling is pretty rough too- but sometimes it's hard to tell from images/videos. Sometimes a car looks very different in person... so I'll reserve my final judgement until I see one in person. Right now though- the new Accord looks like one of those bland cars that they use for insurance advertisements. Although the 10th Generation Accord's design wasn't everyone's cup of tea... at least it wasn't bland.

Lastly, I think that it's pretty ridiculous for MotorTrend (or anyone else) to do a comparison between a brand-new design of the Accord and the Camry- which is likely going to be getting quite the overhaul very soon. The current generation is going on six years... and will almost certainly be overhauled for 2024. The last time I checked, Toyota didn't have any trouble selling Camrys these days... even with a six year-old design.

· Registered
2018 Camry SE
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the TSB was done correctly, it's a permanent fix. I had mine done at 10K and it's still great at 50K. It sounds like your dealer just cleared the memory and let it re-learn.
Well I wouldn't put anything past a dealership but that's a little hard to believe that dealer service departments are doing that. Why would they blow off doing a TSB, when a TSB doesn't cost them anything, and just clear the memory instead? Plus, in the immediate weeks/months after my visit to the dealer the problem was no longer occurring. It just resurfaced some time later.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Well I wouldn't put anything past a dealership but that's a little hard to believe that dealer service departments are doing that. Why would they blow off doing a TSB, when a TSB doesn't cost them anything, and just clear the memory instead? Plus, in the immediate weeks/months after my visit to the dealer the problem was no longer occurring. It just resurfaced some time later.
Customer brings car in and complains about poor-shifting transmission, which could be one of many different things. Customer doesn't mention the TSB, or the advisor doesn't document it during check-in. Tech clears the shifting memory so it can re-learn the driver's habits. Driver notices improved shifting, temporarily (I don't know how long the supposed transmission shift learning takes).

TSB-0152-19 involves flashing a new calibration file to the ECU, and the last step of the TSB instructs the tech to document it with a sticker here. I'd say this is the only way to know for sure that the TSB was done correctly.
Font Motor vehicle Parallel Automotive lighting Rectangle

I printed the TSB out and brought it with me: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173797-9999.pdf

· Registered
254 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
On my 2018 SE (US made) I had the dealer install T-SB-0152-19 a few years ago. At first it seemed like there was some noticeable improvement. But after a while the original transmission problem returned. These days there is a MAJOR hesitation on acceleration from a slow roll or rolling stop. When I hit the gas there's about a 2-second delay until the car takes off. I've learned to deal with it because like I said everything else about the car I like. Like you I love that I can average 40-45 mpg with a eco-minded driving style on a gas-only car.
It is the TPS . An ohm meter will prove it. Ohms should be gradual change; if a drop, needs to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts