Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just saw the Toyota news press about the 2023 Highlander. Other than the new turbo charged engine it also gets other changes which i believe the camry will get it as well.

All Digital gauge cluster
Toyota's new infotainment software/system
Wireless Carplay/Android auto (hopefully a better QI wireless charging since switching to wireless)
New exterior colors, like the cypress green
MAYBE AWD for turbo charged engine grades
MAYBE XSE/XLE power folding side mirrors
Camry Prime??
etc.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,944 Posts
Is it the Subaru's 2.4 turbo??? :)
Not that I like the new High, but now it's even less appealing to me...
I drove a NX350 - it's quick (but the High would be slower) but noisy and not smooth at all...
Same MPG, higher price, more complex, requires premium fuel...
What's the point? Go greener? In real life, unless you'd drive like an old lady, that engine will be less economical than V6.

·
Registered
Charger R/T Hemi
261 Posts
It’s a good thing that I stocked up with (2) two 6 cylinder vehicles before Toyota discontinues the 6 cylinder engine. I purchased one 2022 Toyota Avalon Limited and one 2022 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury. Both vehicles have already been built. The Avalon already arrived at the dealership last Friday and is currently in the body shop to repair some road rash that occurred in a small area underneath the front right bumper at some point in time while it was in transit to the dealership from the factory. The Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury was built last week and it’s currently in transit to the dealership. The 4 cylinder engine is too anemic and weak to be put into a 3,500 - 5,000 lb. vehicle. I hope that Toyota will bring back the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The 2GR-FKS 3.5L V6 has essentially reached the end of its life. It's not competitive with the other engines out there and has always suffered from not having enough torque. Either Toyota had to commit to making a new version of a V6 engine, or make the unfortunate decision to switch to turbo I-4's like all the other companies out there. They're spending $383 million on increasing I-4 engine production, so there's your answer. All they could've really done is add hybrid technology to the 2GR-FKS, similar to the twin-turbo V6 in the Tundra TRD Pro. They ditched V8's in the Lexus LS and new Tundra for the twin-turbo V6. You will never see the twin-turbo V6 in the Camry. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Avalon is discontinued and what they do for a Lexus ES replacement since that's what it's based on. Only something like that could potentially get the twin-turbo V6. The Lexus IS is due for a replacement at some point and that car uses the 2GR-FKS as well. What I could potentially see is Toyota making a Camry Prime for the next generation that will have the same engine as the RAV4 Prime and is a pretty quick engine. Unfortunately, that car would probably be priced in the mid-$40's.

·
Registered
Charger R/T Hemi
261 Posts
Ive alwats bought HL.. Till now..Im done..... Get a Plug in and maybe Ill be back.. Im gonna look at the Lexus RX now...
The redesigned 2023 RX will be coming out in just a few months from now in August/September and that one too will also have a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder in it like the 2023 Toyota Highlander.
Lexus will also put the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine in the new model year 2025 ES350 when they come out with the new redesigned ES350 in the fall of 2024.
You’re better off grabbing a 2022 Highlander or a 2022 RX with the 6 cylinder engine in it while you can right now before they sell out. The 6 cylinder ES350 will still be made all throughout 2022 and all throughout 2023 and during the 1st half of 2024 until they discontinue it during the summer of 2024 to build the redesigned 2.4 liter 4 cylinder ES350 as a 2025 model.
That’s why I grabbed the Avalon and the ES350. I don’t like the anemic 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah makes sense .. I was hoping for a HL Plug in, but I hear the Toyota Crown is coming to the US as a SUV so maybe a plug in there, also the Lexus RX MAY have a plug in.. and on that note maybe they are waiting to get the battery plant going plus hopes of extending the range.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,944 Posts
The 2GR-FKS 3.5L V6 has essentially reached the end of its life. It's not competitive with the other engines out there and has always suffered from not having enough torque.
It's still by far the best non turbocharged V6 on the market for non premium applications.
More than enough torque for a mid size car/SUV, great reliability and longevity record, great MPG.
The newer V6 powered Toyotas feel underpowered cuz of "green" tuned transmissions, but the engine itself is great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's still by far the best non turbocharged V6 on the market for non premium applications.
More than enough torque for a mid size car/SUV, great reliability and longevity record, great MPG.
The newer V6 powered Toyotas feel underpowered cuz of "green" tuned transmissions, but the engine itself is great.
It is a good engine and I have one in my 2018 Camry XSE. What Toyota/Lexus would really need to do is develop an engine similar to the one in the new Acura TLX Type S with the 3.0 turbo V6. Something that slots in between the turbo I-4 and twin-turbo V6. I don’t think that’s going to happen though. I still think the RAV4 Prime powertrain is going to be the top level “performance” set up for their cars going forward, especially with the increase in fuel economy standards coming up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Luckily our two vehicles will probably outlive us! Just had the 20k service done on the Lexus.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is it the Subaru's 2.4 turbo??? :)
Not that I like the new High, but now it's even less appealing to me...
I drove a NX350 - it's quick (but the High would be slower) but noisy and not smooth at all...
Same MPG, higher price, more complex, requires premium fuel...
What's the point? Go greener? In real life, unless you'd drive like an old lady, that engine will be less economical than V6.
What's the point of forcing a less reliable engine on your customers if you aren't improving the gas mileage? No thanks, I'll pass.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,673 Posts
What's the point of forcing a less reliable engine on your customers if you aren't improving the gas mileage? No thanks, I'll pass.
While I completely agree- I'm sure Toyota has its reasons... they claim that this new engine produces less emissions... but that's likely in a perfect world. In reality, an owner probably has to push the engine and turbo a bit harder than they would the 3.5L V6 to get the vehicle up to speed... which will increase emissions... which completely defeats the point.

My 2.0t Accord was very efficient if you drove it calmly, kept it in eco mode, and were very easy on the throttle... but that's not the way most people drive. If you actually use the power that you paid for (why else spring for the 2.0t engine over the Accord's base 1.5t engine)... mpg drops considerably... and my guess is that any emissions that might have been saved by opting for a turbo 4 over a V6 went right out the tailpipes.

I wonder if this new 2.4L Turbo will be a cheaper engine to produce?

·
Registered
226 Posts
While I completely agree- I'm sure Toyota has its reasons... they claim that this new engine produces less emissions... but that's likely in a perfect world. In reality, an owner probably has to push the engine and turbo a bit harder than they would the 3.5L V6 to get the vehicle up to speed... which will increase emissions... which completely defeats the point.

My 2.0t Accord was very efficient if you drove it calmly, kept it in eco mode, and were very easy on the throttle... but that's not the way most people drive. If you actually use the power that you paid for (why else spring for the 2.0t engine over the Accord's base 1.5t engine)... mpg drops considerably... and my guess is that any emissions that might have been saved by opting for a turbo 4 over a V6 went right out the tailpipes.

I wonder if this new 2.4L Turbo will be a cheaper engine to produce?
This turbo garbage is nothing but a scam.

·
Registered
Charger R/T Hemi
261 Posts
The current V6 that’s in the Avalon and the ES350 have the best power and torque for this particular class of engine.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts