Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
Here's the official press release at toyota.com if you'd rather read about it.

Lots of changes announced!
  • Gas models will be turbo-charged 2.4L engines, with same EPA rating as V6 has now. It will still have auto stop/start.
  • Dual 12.3-inch LED screens standard on both Limited and Platinum, one of which replaces the instrument cluster.
  • Single 12.3-inch screen becomes optional on XLE and XSE
  • Content will fill the entire center 12.3" screen
  • Limited and Platinum get power-folding mirrors.
  • Gets the new "Toyota Audio Multimedia" system, including wireless AA/CP
  • Qi charger moved out of center console and into dash (in shelf, below radio/center screen)
  • XLE and XSE get kick sensor for power back door along with Limited and Platinum
  • New exterior color "Cypress" (green, currently available on Sienna)
  • Darker interior accents on Beige and Caramel will be black instead of brown
  • Bronze Edition available in both gas and hybrid
  • XSE gets new black 20" wheels
  • Second row seats: Bench standard on L, LE; Captains Chairs standard on all other trims (gas and hybrid). Bench available as an option on XLE gas, XLE hybrid, and Limited gas.
The Service Connect trial has been shortened from 10 years to 3 years, meaning that's how long remote start from the key fob would work for free IF it's even equipped with remote start from the fob. (Press release doesn't mention that.)

·
Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum AWD
31 Posts
I complained about the unnecessary removal of the HVAC buttons on the large screen, sorta got hammered for it here, and Toyota just proved my point. They put it back. Basically they updated the car to how it should have been when released for 2020.

The more complicated 4 cylinder means resale will take a hit in the long run. Naturally aspirated models will be in high resale demand.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
We've always complained about the fact that the HVAC controls killed 1/3 of the 12" screen. Agree, that was a dumb thing to do in 2020. Obviously it was a limitation of the old Entune software and they had to fill space on such a wide screen.

·
Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum AWD
31 Posts
We've always complained about the fact that the HVAC controls killed 1/3 of the 12" screen. Agree, that was a dumb thing to do in 2020. Obviously it was a limitation of the old Entune software and they had to fill space on such a wide screen.
Well, I see it 2 ways. Either they did the larger screen and modified the current software as a bridge to the new software for when it is to be released, thus providing an update for all of us. Hopefully this is the case and it works similar to the NX Lexus.

Or, they wanted to meet a design feature and added it with no intention of ever providing an upgrade to the later software. I hope this is not the case. Otherwise I see the current system as an 8" screen with HVAC controls. Pointless.

The 4 cylinder was coming I suppose and I do not know if the current updates for 2023 outweigh the upside to having the V6. Definitely not in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
I think it's the latter.

They wanted a 12" screen but used generally the same software as the 8" screen. Entune 3.0 may not have been able to take advantage of a screen with that big of an aspect ratio. The 360 birds-eye camera is the only feature that fills the 12" screen with content. It's very fair to call it an 8" screen with HVAC controls.

Don't count on it being "an upgrade for everyone" though. Toyota has never offered any sort of upgrade to the infotainment system on prior model years. Usually a totally new version (not just a patch for bug fixes) requires new hardware. It may look the same on the outside, but it could be totally different equipment behind the dash. There has been one exception - certain 2018 models came with Entune 3.0 but not CP/AA. Those specific models were eventually upgraded to add CP/AA because they had the right hardware and same operating system already in place. Going from Entune 3.0 to Toyota Audio Multimedia is probably as big of a deal as going from Entune 2.0 to Entune 3.0, which means it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The volume button is now on the right side of the display screen. Quite the stretch for the driver to reach.
On my '22 Platinum, it (volume knob) is on the left side...Also can control the volume on the steering wheel, which is how I mostly adjust volume) What year trim level are you referring to that has the volume controls (button??, knob??) on the right?

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts
On my '22 Platinum, it (volume knob) is on the left side...Also can control the volume on the steering wheel, which is how I mostly adjust volume) What year trim level are you referring to that has the volume controls (button??, knob??) on the right?
2023, for this thread

Seat belt monitor no longer in the screen.

Looks like the Qi wireless charger has moved

·
Registered
11 Posts
I complained about the unnecessary removal of the HVAC buttons on the large screen, sorta got hammered for it here, and Toyota just proved my point. They put it back. Basically they updated the car to how it should have been when released for 2020.
That's the main reason I traded my '20 Outback XT for a '22 Highlander XLE. Anything other than changing the temp required looking at the touchscreen. I had no problems with the Outback mechanically, and the 11" screen was great for nav, but it was a safety hazard IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The engine start/stop at lights is going to KILL the turbo.... turbo's like to cool down, to the point if you want to extend the life of your turbo you let the car idle for a couple of minutes before you shut it off to allow the engine oil to take some of the heat out of the unit before shutting it down.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander LE
94 Posts
This just confirms that I will not be purchasing a 2023. I do not understand in any way how you can put a 2.4L engine in a vehicle this big. Your fuel economy will not increase and your engine will take more abuse.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts
This just confirms that I will not be purchasing a 2023. I do not understand in any way how you can put a 2.4L engine in a vehicle this big. Your fuel economy will not increase and your engine will take more abuse.
Audi and Volvo puts a 2.0l turbo engine in a same sized vehicle also

in the case of Volvo, the trim may also be supercharged and turbo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m happy I put my order in and mine is getting built 5-18. I like the digital cluster, the wireless phone charger in its new place, the 12.3 screen taking up the whole screen and wireless CarPlay but all that I don’t think still adds up to having the turbo engine over the v6. Before we placed the order on the 2022 highlander platinum we were looking at the Mazda CX-9 signature which was very nice with its features and build quality but the 2.4 turbo is what steered us away from it because we want to keep it for 10 plus years.
Does anyone think down the road if you can’t update the infotainment you can purchase or get the new version screen and install it in an older model?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,947 Posts
Not that I like the new High, but now it's even less appealing to me...
I drove a 2.4 NX350 - it's quick (but the High would be slower) but noisy and not smooth at all...
Same MPG, higher price, more complicated tech, requires premium fuel...
What's the point? Go greener? In real life, unless you'd drive like an old lady, that engine will be less economical than V6. And premium fuel is extra .30 or so...
Looks like Toyota is pushing the Highlander into the "luxury" territory: more technologically advanced, more expensive, take premium fuel. :)

·
Registered
2020 Highlander LE
94 Posts
Yes I work at Audi in the service department and we see the wear and tear on the engines. Everyone of our techs highly recommend against it. At our dealership we have sold 3 Q7's with this engine and all 3 customers are extremely unhappy. The ride isn't as nice going down the highway because the engine is working that much harder. We now highly recommend not purchasing the 4 cylinder version of the engine and opting for the 6 instead.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts