Toyota Nation Forum banner
61 - 80 of 147 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,939 Posts
The Problem is people actually believe in 10,000 mile oil changes and lifetime transmission fluid.

I had a modern 2015 Lexus IS350 witha 6 speed Auto...oil changes every 5000 miles and a transmission fluid drain and refill every 30k miles....the car had over 150k miles with ZERO problems.Tranny shifted smoother than my highlander 8 speed was and it didn’t burn a drop of oil between changes.
Buy a quality product, take proper care of it and it will last.

Do oil changes every 10k miles and don’t touch your tranny fluid and see how that works out.
Check out the YouTube channel “Car Care Nut” he’s a master Toyota/Lexus technician that tells you the 10k oil changes and lifetime trans fluid are BS.
Nothing wrong with 10K intervals if the engine is designed and built right.
Modern synthetic oils can go up to 15k, but even if you would change your oil every 3K some modern engines are burning oil since new and wont live past 150K.
Lifetime transmission fluid is a different thing, I'd do it every 50-70K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sure, oil additives are much better than they used to be.... in the mean time the oil filters have half the filtering media they used to have. Remember in theory oil never goes bad, it gets dirty, and the additives give out, but the base stock is stable

I change my oil at 7500 miles or less, not because of the oil ( I use NAPA synthetic which is made by Valvoline) but I look at the size of the filter and shake my head.

I'd leave it in for 10K if I had a spin on filter I could easily get to that I could swap out at 5000 miles

My RAV4 is a 5K service interval, it comes out at 4K miles.... well it did ... that car goes away Saturday

I don't know about you guys, but the cost of motor oil has doubled in my area

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
86 Posts
Sure, oil additives are much better than they used to be.... in the mean time the oil filters have half the filtering media they used to have. Remember in theory oil never goes bad, it gets dirty, and the additives give out, but the base stock is stable

I change my oil at 7500 miles or less, not because of the oil ( I use NAPA synthetic which is made by Valvoline) but I look at the size of the filter and shake my head.

I'd leave it in for 10K if I had a spin on filter I could easily get to that I could swap out at 5000 miles

My RAV4 is a 5K service interval, it comes out at 4K miles.... well it did ... that car goes away Saturday

I don't know about you guys, but the cost of motor oil has doubled in my area
In my opinion, (and I'm not a mechanic) I don't care how much engine and engine oil technology has improved. The fact of the matter is, there will still be unburned fuel that gets into the crankcase, especially when forced by high pressure fuel pumps and direct injection. My 2020 V6 got its first oil change at 2k and now every 5k thereafter. I'll do tranny, rear diff and transfer case every 30k. This is what I've done on my 2012 Pilot with 94k and going strong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my area price tags are still the same, but there is no 0-20 or 0-30 oil in 3 walmarts I've checked.
I run Kirkland Signature. The local Costco has 0W20 in stock.

I'm just surprised they could keep the 5000lb towing capacity out of a 4cyl turbo engine... I can already imagine how that engine will struggle / noise level while towing anything...
No problem at all in my Ascent 2.4 liter turbo. Essentially the same power and torque in a slightly smaller package. If engineered correctly, it's not a problem, and could even be superior.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, - RAV4 silver /Black
627 Posts
Now, if only the new Sequoia doesn't have engine issues? And IF they really do come out with a Grand Highlander, with the same old V6, it will be an interesting year for me:0

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
793 Posts
The Problem is people actually believe in 10,000 mile oil changes and lifetime transmission fluid.

I had a modern 2015 Lexus IS350 witha 6 speed Auto...oil changes every 5000 miles and a transmission fluid drain and refill every 30k miles....the car had over 150k miles with ZERO problems.Tranny shifted smoother than my highlander 8 speed was and it didn’t burn a drop of oil between changes.
Buy a quality product, take proper care of it and it will last.

Do oil changes every 10k miles and don’t touch your tranny fluid and see how that works out.
Check out the YouTube channel “Car Care Nut” he’s a master Toyota/Lexus technician that tells you the 10k oil changes and lifetime trans fluid are BS.
You should always do what the manufacture says, remember they built and tested their engines before the decided to build them into their vehicles. Oh and they wrote a booklet to help you understand what they "require"...that booklet is called the owners manual. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thats because volkswagen is generally considered unreliable.
I’ve had a lot of family, friends, Co-Workers with them and 3,4,5 years in nothing but problems. They don’t build good quality cars.
All my VW’s were more reliable, and far more comfortable and fun than all Toyota’s I had.
My current Tiguan can teach few lessons POS Sienna I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Several things here:
1. This engine is more capable than V6.
309lb-ft compared to 266lb-ft. That is going to make better towing vehicle. I don’t want to know how 2GR-FKS tow’s, but I know it has problems carrying its own weight. Torque band is too narrow for vehicle like HL.
New engine will do everything between 1500-3000rpms for what V6 would need 4,500-6,000rpms.
2. Oil IMO is big thing here and those who claim everything is in the book need to get familiar with CAFE. Only reason why Toyota uses 0W16 and 0W20 oils is CAFE. Take into consideration that in Europe in the same engines Toyota recommends ACEA C3 oils or so called heavy XW30 or light XW40 oils (minimum HTHS 3.5cp). I personally would not run anything lower than ILSAC GF6 5W30.
Now, we still don’t know how will this engine perform. Generally Asian manufacturers are well behind European in this. Both Honda and Subaru have huge issues with fuel dilution (something that plagued VW/Audi in, pay attention, 2003). When it comes to Subaru it borderline ridiculous so Subaru mechanics recommend OCI of 3K although factory is 6k. I have seen several UOA, and 3K seems right call. Whether this engine will have those issues, remains to be seen. But I would be on the lookout.
3. It won’t have Tundra/Sequoia issues as it is 4cyl not V6. There will be more space around it. I would hope BMW gave them a hand considering Toyota buys Diesel engines from them and then Supra, but then location of wastegate on V6 TT indicates it is 100% Toyota product. Still, even if this engine is plagued by same issues, it will be less of an headache.
4. On positive side, it will eliminate a bit of understeer as front will be lighter.

But folks, pay attention on fuel dilution. Smell oil dipstick. If it smells like fuel cap OCI at 5k even if Toyota engraved oil recommendations in gold.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Lets see Sienna got the tinny 4 cylinder hybrid setup, folks complained, and yet sales numbers are doing just fine.
next we see this generation of HiHY got a 4 cylinder Hybrid, folks complained, and yets sales numbers are doing just fine.
Refresh gets a tinny 4 cylinder, folks are complaining, and I assume sales numbers will tank caz 4 cylinder .......?

While I love the smooth NA V6/8 from toyota, I think its time to recognize that moving forward Toyota is gently nudging towards folks picking up a hybrid. In addition, they're thinking of the useability of vehicles more then just the prestige of having a specific number of cylinders or combustion method. I assume most drivers of Highlanders will like the extra peppiness available at the lower end of the rev band. I also assume most buyers of highlanders will love the sound of "same mpg, less emissions, more power" regardless of how big of a fallacy that might be since if your on boost you are probably not gonna get better mpg or emissions.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lets see Sienna got the tinny 4 cylinder hybrid setup, folks complained, and yet sales numbers are doing just fine.
next we see this generation of HiHY got a 4 cylinder Hybrid, folks complained, and yets sales numbers are doing just fine.
Refresh gets a tinny 4 cylinder, folks are complaining, and I assume sales numbers will tank caz 4 cylinder .......?

While I love the smooth NA V6/8 from toyota, I think its time to recognize that moving forward Toyota is gently nudging towards folks picking up a hybrid. In addition, they're thinking of the useability of vehicles more then just the prestige of having a specific number of cylinders or combustion method. I assume most drivers of Highlanders will like the extra peppiness available at the lower end of the rev band. I also assume most buyers of highlanders will love the sound of "same mpg, less emissions, more power" regardless of how big of a fallacy that might be since if your on boost you are probably not gonna get better mpg or emissions.
Most 4cyl turbo engines get actually better mpg then advertised, minus few.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it squeezes 1-2mpg although Toyota is usually very liberal about consumption. But even if numbers are dead on, low end torque will sell. Toyota has a problem because everyone is offering or plans to offer turbo 4. People go to try it and immediately realize that merging on hey is much faster in turbo and with less drama. Folks at high altitude where I live will appreciate turbo more than anyone.
And let’s not forget tunning cottage industry that will in no time offer 400lb-ft and some 320hp for some $900.

·
Registered
2022 Highlander Platinum AWD
31 Posts
I wouldn't change my oil every 10k on any car, especially a turbo car and more specifically on a car using 0w-16 or 0w-20. The idea that modern oils can take it those kind of mileages really depends on your driving conditions. 10k mile city driving is no where near the same as 10k mile highway driving. My BMW uses condition based intervals for when an oil change is due and resets at 10,000 miles. You are notified for oil changes either annually or depending on your driving style which can make the 10k interval be under or over that amount in a year. Since I don't have the time to try and manually alter the interval on my car to something lower with software, I will reset it every 2 changes if I change my own oil. But I also like to go 5k to 6k miles max on an oil change, which is generally a year. I also removed the 0w-20 BMW 'recommends' and run Liqui Moly 5w-30 which will still meet spec and offer better overall protection that the stuff designed for fuel mileage instead of overall protection.

@edycol - I was wondering where I would find some information on thicker oils. Thank you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wouldn't change my oil every 10k on any car, especially a turbo car and more specifically on a car using 0w-16 or 0w-20. The idea that modern oils can take it those kind of mileages really depends on your driving conditions. 10k mile city driving is no where near the same as 10k mile highway driving. My BMW uses condition based intervals for when an oil change is due and resets at 10,000 miles. You are notified for oil changes either annually or depending on your driving style which can make the 10k interval be under or over that amount in a year. Since I don't have the time to try and manually alter the interval on my car to something lower with software, I will reset it every 2 changes if I change my own oil. But I also like to go 5k to 6k miles max on an oil change, which is generally a year. I also removed the 0w-20 BMW 'recommends' and run Liqui Moly 5w-30 which will still meet spec and offer better overall protection that the stuff designed for fuel mileage instead of overall protection.

@edycol - I was wondering where I would find some information on thicker oils. Thank you.
What info do you need, send me pm.
You can search my posts on Bimmerpost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All my VW’s were more reliable, and far more comfortable and fun than all Toyota’s I had.

apocryphal

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm sure Toyota will be pleased to see that the 2023 is so well received so far. :ROFLMAO:
haha, yeah! ;)

I remember well when manufacturers (of American cars) were downsizing and went from V8s to V6 and 4 cyl engines. In spite of all the soothsayers, we all survived, and in fact, these current smaller 4 cyl turbo engines now produce more hp and trq than the big old heavy V8s. 2.0L Turbos now produce more than the old 350 cid (5.7L) AND use way less fuel and produce way less emissions. WIN WIN

Torque is what gives acceleration, and I suspect that the new 4 cyl Highlander will provide plenty of acceleration for it's intended market.

Some people embrace change, others loathe it. Personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the official press release at toyota.com if you'd rather read about it.

Lots of changes announced!
  • Gas models will be turbo-charged 2.4L engines, with same EPA rating as V6 has now. It will still have auto stop/start.
  • Dual 12.3-inch LED screens standard on both Limited and Platinum, one of which replaces the instrument cluster.
  • Single 12.3-inch screen becomes optional on XLE and XSE
  • Content will fill the entire center 12.3" screen
  • Limited and Platinum get power-folding mirrors.
  • Gets the new "Toyota Audio Multimedia" system, including wireless AA/CP
  • Qi charger moved out of center console and into dash (in shelf, below radio/center screen)
  • XLE and XSE get kick sensor for power back door along with Limited and Platinum
  • New exterior color "Cypress" (green, currently available on Sienna)
  • Darker interior accents on Beige and Caramel will be black instead of brown
  • Bronze Edition available in both gas and hybrid
  • XSE gets new black 20" wheels
  • Second row seats: Bench standard on L, LE; Captains Chairs standard on all other trims (gas and hybrid). Bench available as an option on XLE gas, XLE hybrid, and Limited gas.
The Service Connect trial has been shortened from 10 years to 3 years, meaning that's how long remote start from the key fob would work for free IF it's even equipped with remote start from the fob. (Press release doesn't mention that.)
i read it and it sounds good except there is no improvment in gass milage. they have the platform for more harsepower and better fuel on the rav4 prime just put in into the highlander

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,667 Posts
Audi and Volvo are notoriously unreliable and have absolute appalling resale value.
But they have prestige that draws the wealthier clientele, that not even Lexus can match. And plus, the European feel of the car when you drive it, is something Toyota can't duplicate.

Well, 150k is considered good these days. Turbo on my 2017 GTI died at 48k miles...
The early MK7's had turbo defects.

The only turbo I replaced on my VW, was on my 2002 TDI (around 170,000 miles), then upgraded to a larger factory turbo. The K03 on my 08 Passat 2.0T lasted to trade-in at 220,000 miles, and the IHI turbo on my 2016 Tiguan, traded that car in at 140,000 miles. But that IHI turbo was prone to the wastegate loosening, which a simple $30 (from VW) clip helped to avoid the loosening, which I had the indy shop inspect, and later install the clip at the next oil change.

61 - 80 of 147 Posts