Toyota Nation Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance they will update existing 12" (really 8") screens to full screen? If this is just a software update, I hope they do.
Not a chance, unfortunately. It’s not just a software change. The hardware climate control buttons are changed as well.

If you were to install Toyota’s new multimedia system in a 2022 Highlander, there would be no way to adjust rear climate (for example).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I'm glad I got my 2020 V6....gonna drive the wheels off that thing and by then they'll have this new engine combination all figured out. I used to be against any 4 cylinder engine in any car, then I drove the 2018 Camry and that showed me that with the right combination of engine, transmission, etc...4 cylinders can be quite capable. If it performs as good as the 3.5L then I wont have a problem with it after it has a few years to work out the bugs or I'll just go with a hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When can we order the 2023 highlander from the dealership?
I was wondering the same thing. I have a Hybrid Highland on order (since Feb 18). I found a preowned 21 XLE V6 way under market for sale locally. Got curious and ran the vin number with Toyota. The build date came back as 08/20. So based on that I would think they would start building the 23's Aug perhaps Sep.

I plan on asking the GM at the dealership at what date do the orders switch model years. Given how few FWD Limited Hybrids are in pipline right now, I would not be surprised if my order converts to a 23. Fine by me, I want all the changes.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I don't think your current order will suddenly become an order for a 2023 model. Since there will be many differences in features and also price, I would think that Toyota would be deliberately planning when to cutoff 2022 orders and start taking 2023 orders. If there is a plan, your dealer may know what it is and could help you decide what to do if you think you may want to hold out for a 2023.

When the current generation started with 2020, the new ones didn't start hitting the lots until December 2019. The changeover didn't happen in the usual Fall timeframe.

Sometimes the fleet ordering schedule can offer some indication of what's going to happen on the retail side. According to Toyota's fleet site, fleet orders for 2022 Highlanders ended on May 10. That doesn't mean retail orders are also cut off on May 10 - they just want to control the fleet commitments so that they can accurately plan what's going to happen on the retail side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't suggesting a sudden conversion of my 22 model year order to a 23 model year. Simply stating that my order requirements are not what Princeton is currently interesting in making right now. Hybrid Limited FWD, and no 12.3" screen.

And also thank you for spelling out when the new model year tends to show up on the lot.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
793 Posts
Yes! Wrote by the same company that wants you to make all maintenances with them and do a trade in each 5 yrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I call BS on this because right now 54% of the top 15 vehicles in North American that people are driving after 200,000+ miles (321,xxx KM) are Toyota's. If Toyota didn't want you keep your vehicle after 5 years they themselves wouldn't also be posting this information at their dealerships; or getting the dealerships to post since Toyota HQ does provide them with the marketing materials. I am guessing those 54% of the to 15 vehicles are ones where proper (manufacture spec) maintanence is being done.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,939 Posts
I call BS on this because right now 54% of the top 15 vehicles in North American that people are driving after 200,000+ miles (321,xxx KM) are Toyota's. If Toyota didn't want you keep your vehicle after 5 years they themselves wouldn't also be posting this information at their dealerships; or getting the dealerships to post since Toyota HQ does provide them with the marketing materials. I am guessing those 54% of the to 15 vehicles are ones where proper (manufacture spec) maintanence is being done.
You can keep any car on the road forever with proper maintenance and repairs, the question is why would you want to keep a car for so long.
The average life of a car is 8 years/150K miles.
I bet most of these 200k Toyotas are older, better built models and mostly trucks, the newer models are not built to last. I've owned 9 Toyota cars from 2000 to 2017 models.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You can keep any car on the road forever with proper maintenance and repairs, the question is why would you want to keep a car for so long.
I bet most of these 200k Toyotas are older, better built models and mostly trucks, the newer models are not built to last. I've owned 9 Toyota cars from 2000 to 2017 models.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,939 Posts
All newer models? Seriously?
If it's on youtube it has to be true...
I'm nor questioning the statistics, but questioning the gens/ model years in the video.
A 2000k car has to be 10+ years old to get to 200K unless it's a taxi or delivery vehicle.

·
Registered
Charger R/T Hemi
251 Posts
This just confirms that I will not be purchasing a 2023. I do not understand in any way how you can put a 2.4L engine in a vehicle this big. Your fuel economy will not increase and your engine will take more abuse.
The engine will eventually wear out. Especially the turbo.

My feeling is that the Susie soccer moms that buy these won't care how many cylinders their new Highlander will have...It haz engine? Its a Toyota and it gets 30+ mpg? Perfect. And its got room for Connor, Cody and Cassidy AND their friends? Even better! :LOL:
I'm just surprised they could keep the 5000lb towing capacity out of a 4cyl turbo engine... I can already imagine how that engine will struggle / noise level while towing anything...
I like those types of soccer moms.

Only under certain "relaxed" circumstances. Modern turbo engines are designed to last less than the destined in 2000's 3.5 V6.
The most advanced (and probably the best in the world) VW and BMW modern turbo engines have manufacturer calculated life of 250-300K km. Their NA engines from 90-2000's - 500-600K. Remember 1 mil Mercedes engines from 80-90's? Do you really think a modern 2.0t or even a 4.0tt would last that long? No way. At 120-150K small turbo engines are smoking under the load like big diesel engines.
Have you heat about small turbos lasting 10+ years in less than ideal conditions? I haven't.
Don't forget about turbo lag, higher working T's and more maintenance.
Turbo engines are unreliable.

Lower emissions
Yeah right. That’s BS. The 4 cylinder turbo engine doesn’t have zero emissions.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The engine will eventually wear out. Especially the turbo.

I like those types of soccer moms.

Turbo engines are unreliable.

Yeah right. That’s BS. The 4 cylinder turbo engine doesn’t have zero emissions.
Turbo engines are unreliable?
Please, share that wisdom with me who had 17 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger R/T Hemi
251 Posts
if they are so reliable, why did you need to have 17 of them? :p
VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi have turbo engines and they all have issues.

Turbos put lots of wear on a 4 cylinder engine. The stress that they put on an engine cause the engine to not last very long like a NA engine. Turbos are also not reliable and they don’t last long.

·
Registered
793 Posts

I know with Honda they require you to run the highest grade of future on their turbo powered vehicles. In all likelyhood you will be required to do this with the Highlander, costing you more at the pumps. :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
if they are so reliable, why did you need to have 17 of them? :p
Why not? I drive cars. And get cars that are joy to drive (which explains why my Toyota has lower mileage).

VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi have turbo engines and they all have issues.

Turbos put lots of wear on a 4 cylinder engine. The stress that they put on an engine cause the engine to not last very long like a NA engine. Turbos are also not reliable and they don’t last long.
Do you know about engines!
All cars have issues (for example, turbos don’t have HEMI tick). It doesn’t matter what you get (my most problematic vehicle is Land Cruiser I have in Europe, second one is Sienna V6). I have business there with 20+ delivery vehicles that all run, and always did turbo engines. Some time ago those were all 1.9, 2.0 turbo diesel engines, now mostly 1.3-1.6ltr turbo gasoline engines that run natural gas. They all rack up ridiculous mileage. You do realize that 99% of taxi vehicles Europe are turbo?
So, AGAIN, what kind if issues they do have?
I have VW Tiguan for last 10yrs which was more reliable then Sienna V6 that has less mileage. Before that I had also one VW with same engine.
So, some wisdom would be nice so I know what problems to expect.

I know with Honda they require you to run the highest grade of future on their turbo powered vehicles. In all likelyhood you will be required to do this with the Highlander, costing you more at the pumps. :(
Bcs. they were riding the cheap gas train forever. Honda turbo engines are garbage. Huge fuel dilution issues, LSPI, etc. Therefore they have to now do whatever is necessary to remedy issues. Toyota is also behind so yeah, it might require.
VW, Mazda run on regular. Personally, I would never do it on regular, but people do it.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,939 Posts
It depends on application, price and maintenance.

Simple example in the same affordable family sedan class:

Current 1.8t Passat:
174 hp @ 5200 rpm
206 lb-ft @ 1700 rpm
0-60 mph: 8.3 sec
23/34 mpg

Current 2.5 Camry:
203 hp @ 6,600 rpm
184 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm
0-60 mph: 7.5 sec
LE 29/41 mpg
SE 28/39 mpg

We all know how popular and reliable Passatas are. For some reason though you can't really find any 10+ years old Passat on the road:)

Turbos are full of quality and technology related issues and have shorter life spam vs NA engines.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,667 Posts
That's a lot of Toyotas to go through in 17 years.

I had 3 VW's with turbo 4-bangers from 2002 to 2021

Without much context, it seems like VW's with turbo 4-bangers is better.

Bcs. they were riding the cheap gas train forever. Honda turbo engines are garbage. Huge fuel dilution issues, LSPI, etc. Therefore they have to now do whatever is necessary to remedy issues. Toyota is also behind so yeah, it might require.
VW, Mazda run on regular. Personally, I would never do it on regular, but people do it.

But will toyota require walnut blasting of the intake valves? Nope. Not with D4-S, which was introduced long before Audi developed the Twin injection system on the 3rd gen ea888 family of engines.

They have been expensive maintenance items on my VW's, with race proven FSI/TSI.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts