Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2007 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road.
It has 27,0000 miles on it. I've now had it "hunt" for a gear twice.

Let me explain,

While slowing and going into or coming out of a turn the transmission
acts as if it's in neutral. The RPMs will go up and on instinct, I automatically let off the gas. Only then does it find a gear and then it takes off.

The first time it did it I thought maybe it was me not used to the truck and maybe that was just a fluke? But now it's happened TWICE in less then 75 miles I know this isn't "right".

This could be dangerous in a left turn in traffic.
Any idea? Is this some thing the powertrain warranty will cover?
I know I no longer have the 36,000-3 year warranty, but I think it may have a 60,000/6 year powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
No, these trannies like to downshift at funny times. Mine does it consistently around a specific sharp right turn-off going downhill. It's like it has selected one gear too low. If you just keep the gas on, you'll find it will power up fine and shift up in a second.

I think there is a specific transmission reflash that fixes this funny downshifting issue. Some people have reported better shifting patterns after the gas pedal recall reflash too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, these trannies like to downshift at funny times. Mine does it consistently around a specific sharp right turn-off going downhill. It's like it has selected one gear too low. If you just keep the gas on, you'll find it will power up fine and shift up in a second.

I think there is a specific transmission reflash that fixes this funny downshifting issue. Some people have reported better shifting patterns after the gas pedal recall reflash too.

The more I read the more I find out it is "normal".
I was thinking maybe the tranny was starting to go out?

Thanks, makes me feel better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts