Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i know this has probably already been mentioned but i am considering to throw on a 3 inch lift and some twenties with some open country a/t tires. For those of you with 20s and a lift already, or just 20s, is there any ride difference, gas mileage difference, acceleration difference, or anything else you feel I should take into consideration?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was looking at doing 20's and opted for 18's instead. Big difference is ride. 285-60-18 Nitto's have a stiff sidewall that really firmed up the ride. For me this is good. The stock tires made the truck feel like a marshmallow. Gas mileage will probably suffer a little. Don't really feel any loss of power/acceleration. If you end up with real heavy wheels and tires it could have a dramatic affect.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

Just my .02 but I do not think twenties look good on a Tacoma. There is not enough body mass on the truck to offset the wheel. The wheels will scream LOOK at ME. The dodge and chevys that have 20s look good because of the larger body mass. I have seen numerous trucks on cardomain with 20s and just do not like the "tractor" look. I would consider some 18's but not any larger.

To me a tacoma with 20s will look like this:

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
That's got to be photoshopped... nobody's that damn tastless are they? :disappoin

If that's whats in right now, I really am getting old (and I'm only 35).

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Dude!!

nomad said:
That's got to be photoshopped... nobody's that damn tastless are they? :disappoin

If that's whats in right now, I really am getting old (and I'm only 35).
That truck is for real and was for sale on ebay.

It has 28" wheels that are like $4K a piece and a six in lift.

I think it looks like complete POOP. The Tacomas will look the same way with 20s cause of the body to wheel ratio . .

Not old just good taste.

BTW, I think the 20s look great on a Dodge or Chevy truck.

·
Registered
95 Supra/05 Tacoma
103 Posts
robsatx said:
Just my .02 but I do not think twenties look good on a Tacoma. There is not enough body mass on the truck to offset the wheel. The wheels will scream LOOK at ME. The dodge and chevys that have 20s look good because of the larger body mass. I have seen numerous trucks on cardomain with 20s and just do not like the "tractor" look. I would consider some 18's but not any larger.
Maybe youd have to see em in person. They look great. Theres one done up at my local yota dealer. Its a silver 06 DC shortbed with bull bar, roof rack, side bars, toolbox, exhaust and some chrome split six spoke 20s wrapped with 275/45's. It is looks amazing, for a street truck obviously. Of course this all depends on your opinion of what a good looking truck is. Which that titan is NOT.

I'll see if i can get some pics of the truck posted for ya...in no way do the wheels look to big for the truck.

*Edit* The 20 inch Enkei's(i think they are) from toyota also look great on our trucks. Definetaly not oversized.

John

·
Raising your kids.
98 Posts
robsatx said:
Just my .02

To me a tacoma with 20s will look like this:

---- You MUST be hallucinating. Those are 28" wheels!! -20s would be much, much smaller than the freakish wheels on that Titan..

here's a link to a picture of a Tundra with some 20- inch wheels with some decent meat on them.. (it's not bad at all- if you like chrome :lol: )

http://gallery.rimstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=1003&cat=560

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Again, all this "bling" on a vehicle (any vehicle - especially pick up trucks) to me is kind of like make-up on a beautiful woman. Some women look stunning without make-up while others look sexy as hell with just a little bit to accentuate certain features. But regardless of how much natural beauty she has, once you get too much make-up (bling) she starts looking like a $5 whore.

IMHO, some people just don't know when to say when... especially when it comes to bolting flashy crap on their trucks and cars. :disappoin

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
nomad said:
Again, all this "bling" on a vehicle (any vehicle - especially pick up trucks) to me is kind of like make-up on a beautiful woman. Some women look stunning without make-up while others look sexy as hell with just a little bit to accentuate certain features. But regardless of how much natural beauty she has, once you get too much make-up (bling) she starts looking like a $5 whore.

IMHO, some people just don't know when to say when... especially when it comes to bolting flashy crap on their trucks and cars. :disappoin
LMAO! :lol: Very good comparison!

·
Registered
95 Supra/05 Tacoma
103 Posts
Silver-Bolt said:
See if this link works. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t112986.html
My wheels are 18x9 BBS, tires are 285-60-18 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T. No lift.
You see, those just dont look big enough to me. I think 20s are a perfect fit for the DC taco. If your working with a street truck.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Suprataco said:
You see, those just dont look big enough to me. I think 20s are a perfect fit for the DC taco. If your working with a street truck.
Mine is a 98% street truck. I was set on 20's until I found these. Very happy with my choice. Sporty looking and still enough sidewall that if I did very off road a little I should be ok. Still functions as a truck without looking like a pimp mobile. If you are set on 20's check out the Centerline wheel website. They have some smoking deals on closeout wheels. 20's as low as $125/ea for polished.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you everyone for all of your replies. Thanks Silverbolt I will definately check it out right now

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
These are from another thread that I found. Ya'll can't tell me that this looks bad. This looks bad ass if anything. These are the exact same rims that I am getting for my Tacoma. They are in the mail as we speak.

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Bigblue said:
These are from another thread that I found. Ya'll can't tell me that this looks bad. This looks bad ass if anything. These are the exact same rims that I am getting for my Tacoma. They are in the mail as we speak.
Ok, I won't tell you it looks bad. I will however tell you this picture is oxymoronic... big blingy street wheels and slick-ish street tires in an off road setting with rugged mountains as the back drop. But, seeing as we still live in a free country, you can do anything you want to to "dress" your truck up. That doesn't mean everybody has to think it looks "bad ass" as you do. But for me, Mr. T keeps popping into my head for some strange reason. :whatthe:

By the way, I'm thinking about painting little pink piggy's all over my truck and sticking a chromed "flying pig" hood ornament on it. Tell me that wouldn't kick ass! :lol: :ugh3:

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
nomad said:
By the way, I'm thinking about painting little pink piggy's all over my truck and sticking a chromed "flying pig" hood ornament on it. Tell me that wouldn't kick ass! :lol: :ugh3:
:clap: HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Here's another one. If you wanted to see it without the whole rugged outdoor look.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea in my opinion that looks like a badass truck. How much would my speedo and odometer be off with a 3 in lift and 33 inch overall dimension

1 - 20 of 46 Posts