Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there,

iv had my blacktop levin bzg for quite some time now and looking to increase its power. I was just wanting to know if i could grab a manifold and supercharger off a 4agze and wack it on my 20v along with what ever else is needed.

will this work? if so or not please tell me why :)

thanks jeff

·
Registered
838 Posts
i've heard of it on a silvertop so i dont see why it wouldnt work on a blacktop. but ya you'd need to get rid of the itb's, and you should probably swap the internals out for something stronger (possibly silvertop or gze rods if they fit? with some forged low comp pistons), as i'm not sure the blacktop rods and higher comp. will handle the boost well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats this itb's?? wouldnt my pistons be strong enough?? cauz they come out with forged pistons factory?? can you stick intercoolers on superchargers im really dont know much about superchargin lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
They are factory forged but the blacktop's compression rate is higher than the silvertop, so running boost will put more pressure on the rods. ITB's, are individual throttle bodies, i dont see why you cant use them, youll just have to make an air tight seal to run the boost threw to all of them equally. my 0.02c
Im thinking of putting a s/charger on my silvertop as well. but im not sure what the situation is with running boost through an AFM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cheers for the feedback..im gonna get some parts and take it into a performace shop and see what they can do.. ill get back to you with feedback on how it went :)

G

·
0 Posts

That is a picture of ITB's. There Inidivual Throttle Bodies, and I have never head of anyone running boost through them. Here is another picture of some ITB's,

I'd go with the supercharger :) ITB's need a lot of tuning :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
ya itb's = individual throttle bodies.

That is a picture of ITB's. There Inidivual Throttle Bodies, and I have never head of anyone running boost through them
all of the 20V 4age's have itb's from the factory. there are plenty of 20valve turbo's running their boost through the factory itb's. Your pictures are all of individual throttles using velocity stacks instead of a plenum.

They are factory forged but the blacktop's compression rate is higher than the silvertop, so running boost will put more pressure on the rods.
your right...since the blacktop uses lighter/weaker rods for better rev-ability you should use a gze or silvertop rod too.

i dont see why you cant use them, youll just have to make an air tight seal to run the boost threw to all of them equally
when i saw this discussed on another forum, can't remember which one? they said the sc12 (supercharger on the 4agze) won't bolt onto the 20V throttles, as it uses the 4agze intake manifold as a mount. Maybe you could fab up some custom brackets and intake (20V oem plenums will only handle around 5-6 psi). So in order to use the 4agze sc12 you'd need to get rid of the individual throttles and replace it with the intake manifold from the gze, with the single throttle. you'd also need the 4agze injectors. somebody correct me if i'm wrong though?

can you stick intercoolers on superchargers im really dont know much about superchargin lol.
ya you can put an intercooler after the supercharger/before the throttle to cool the intake charge as the boosted air will be much hotter. all the 4agze's are intercooled from the factory. look at a picture of one, it's on the top of the valve cover.

to be honest this seems like alot of work, and the engine would benefit much more from a turbo set up...

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,943 Posts
Stock 20V plenum apparently doesn't handle boost of more than 3-4 PSI. Also, the velocity stacks on the stock 20Vs are /weird/, and there may not be an off-the-shelf unit that's strong enough to stand up to pressurization. Check TWM Induction, they have something, but comparisons would have to be made against the size of the openings and the size of the stacks.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Arggg!!! So much mis-information!!!!!!

They are factory forged
No they are not, 20v pistons are not forged!!!

EverAE said:
when i saw this discussed on another forum, can't remember which one? they said the sc12 (supercharger on the 4agze) won't bolt onto the 20V throttles, as it uses the 4agze intake manifold as a mount.
You can run the charger with the TB's but not in the factory mounting point. Use custom brackets to put it where it will fit.

EverAE said:
So in order to use the 4agze sc12 you'd need to get rid of the individual throttles and replace it with the intake manifold from the gze, with the single throttle. you'd also need the 4agze injectors. somebody correct me if i'm wrong though
You can not put the manifold off a GZE onto a 20v, the heads are different.
How would you use 4agze injectors? with a 20v ECU you need 20v injectors. If you going to stand alone, you can put what ever injectors you want in.

EverAE said:
Maybe you could fab up some custom brackets and intake (20V oem plenums will only handle around 5-6 psi).
This is true, you would need a custom airbox. (its an airbox not plenum, a plenum comes after the throttle)

EverAE said:
to be honest this seems like alot of work, and the engine would benefit much more from a turbo set up...
x 10, same effort to do both setups (lots) turbo will give much better results.

jeffnz: Are you planning on doing this work yourself? Because I think you've under estimate the complexity/expense of this sort of project. If you're planning on having a shop do it, then I hope your bank balence is healthy.

There are a few 20v S/C setups running around in NZ, I know of one useing stock internals 10.5:1 compression. Makes somewhere around 145 rw kw.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wanna bring back this thread for the benifit for all who want to turbo a 20V...
ive heard that GZE rods and silvertop rods are the same, are they?...and if so...can i use the GZE pistons in a silvertop, to possibly lower the compression to run higher boost?.
Is it better? or will it be easier OR cheeper to just boost the 10.5.1 ratio silvertop?

·
Registered
38 Posts
before anybody jumps me here i'm going from heresay....s/c on the 20v will require swapping over the water pump, not a big problem but easily overlooked. and i can't see why the 20v ecu can't run the GZE injectors as long as they are same impedance. And i'm not familiar with the sizes but if the GZE is bigger CC then at least on a silverotp you could try to trick the ecu with bigger afm. I would imagine the blacktop can probably read low boost and compensate

And using an AFM is fine, it goes before the s/c or turbo. whether or not ecu will compensate is a different story.

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Water pump issue would depend on where and how you mounted the charger.

Yes you can do lots of messing around with factory ECUs.

But IMO you'd be wasting your time on a high compression forced induction engine, an aftermarket ECU is the only way to go.

And also, I've seen several turbo'd gze's running the AFM after the turbo, still on the factory GZE ECU, still ran perfectally.

·
Registered
838 Posts
thats a mean ass set up, what are the specs on that? and if your talking to kpsxtyone can you tell him my wirings on it's way to the address he gave me?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd agree with the whole aftermarket ecu thing...cause yes once you have the money and time into a forced induction project why limit it to low boost just to barely run a stock ecu.

And that turbo blacktop is awesome...I'm curious about the specs on it too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts