Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this and I'm a chick so please forgive me and my lack of technical words. I have an 06 Sequoia and I'm being told that I can't put 20 or 22 inch rims on my new ride. Some arm thing gets in the way? I work at a Toyota Dealership and have seen these rims on older models. Did something change or can anyone offer any advice?:thumbsup:

Tina

·
Stop staring at me!!!
06 Sequoia/ 98 Cobra
14 Posts
Tinacop said:
Hi everyone! I'm new to this and I'm a chick so please forgive me and my lack of technical words. I have an 06 Sequoia and I'm being told that I can't put 20 or 22 inch rims on my new ride. Some arm thing gets in the way? I work at a Toyota Dealership and have seen these rims on older models. Did something change or can anyone offer any advice?:thumbsup:

Tina
Not even 20's? That doesn't make sense. Now I'm going to have to slide under the car to look at the suspension set up.

Do you know if it's the front or back that don't fit?

We're ready to buy some 20's but if they're not going to fit that's obviously a problem.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire guy showed me, it was on the front and something like an "A arm" or something arm is what was in the way. Later i went to an accessory store and they were telling me there are ways to do it but it's sort of risky. What year is your sequoia?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tinacop said:
The tire guy showed me, it was on the front and something like an "A arm" or something arm is what was in the way. Later i went to an accessory store and they were telling me there are ways to do it but it's sort of risky. What year is your sequoia?
That can't be right, my 03 has 20s on it in the summer with no problem at all. They just bolt right on. EVen tirerack offers a ton of 20-22s on their site which fit the 06.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They changed something with the 06's. I have gone to several tire shops and I work for a Toyota dealership. The guys in my Service department said i can use spacers but they don't recommend them. I actually just got a call from one of the tire shops, they have found a 20 or 22 rim that will work. They expect more in the Spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, all the luck in the world to you Anthony! Please take pics when you get those 24's on with no modification.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
is it 4x4 and why would you go that big....bling,bling?

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
gotcha, good luck and I hope no rub.

·
Cressida Whore
435 Posts
Tinacop said:
No, performance! Oh ya, and a smooth ride LOL.
You mean, lack of performance, and bumpy ride. Gotcha ;)

I've put 22s on my 4Runner off my cousins 96 Lexus LX450 for a few days just to see how they'd look. Improved handling thats for sure. Burn outs were a snap compared to my meaty offroad tires. Ride comfort got incredibly more harsh, and performance got alil lazy and brake stopping distance longer with much worse fuel economy. But i definetly got the looks from everyone on the streets and freeways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
22's and 20's are no problem

I have 2 2006 Sequoia's with 20's on one and 22's on the other. I just traded my 2002 and swapped my 20's to one of my new 2006 Sequoias The upper strut mount only gets in the way if you are running too wide of a tire with the wrong wheel offset. My 20's are on with no problem and I'm running 285/50/20's. Now, I did run into a dilemna running 22 inch Zinik Wheels with 305/40/22 tires. Here is the deal, the tires only hit the upper strut mount when the car is jacked up with the suspension hanging. If you jack the truck up underneath the lower A-arm which keeps the suspension compressed, then you can get them on. I didn't like this so I just ordered 275/45/22's which is what Tire rack recommended all along. It seems as though dif wheel manufacturers have slightly different wheel offsets. HRE can make a 22x9.5 inch wheel with 305/40/22 that fit without rubbing. The only issue that both 20's and 22's will have is durring sharp turns with suspension compressed the tire may rub the front mud flap. All fitment issues are tire size related. Others have used spacers to set the 22 inch wheel outside so they can fit a wider tire. I don't agree with the use of spacers though since wheels are designed with their offsets for a reason!

·
Registered
40 Posts
jhutchings said:
I have 2 2006 Sequoia's with 20's on one and 22's on the other. I just traded my 2002 and swapped my 20's to one of my new 2006 Sequoias The upper strut mount only gets in the way if you are running too wide of a tire with the wrong wheel offset. My 20's are on with no problem and I'm running 285/50/20's. Now, I did run into a dilemna running 22 inch Zinik Wheels with 305/40/22 tires. Here is the deal, the tires only hit the upper strut mount when the car is jacked up with the suspension hanging. If you jack the truck up underneath the lower A-arm which keeps the suspension compressed, then you can get them on. I didn't like this so I just ordered 275/45/22's which is what Tire rack recommended all along. It seems as though dif wheel manufacturers have slightly different wheel offsets. HRE can make a 22x9.5 inch wheel with 305/40/22 that fit without rubbing. The only issue that both 20's and 22's will have is durring sharp turns with suspension compressed the tire may rub the front mud flap. All fitment issues are tire size related. Others have used spacers to set the 22 inch wheel outside so they can fit a wider tire. I don't agree with the use of spacers though since wheels are designed with their offsets for a reason!
pics? these sound sexy

·
Registered
Nissan
21 Posts
If 22's fit on a Lexus GX470 which is the 4runners high end brother, i'm pretty sure 22's can fit any year sequoia with the correct offset and tire size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts