Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 84 celica convertible with a 22-re motor. it's not very powerful, though, and i want to give it some more power without spending 5 or 6 grand on lc engineering parts. i've heard that an 83-84 supra motor will not fit in the engine bay. But with modifications to the firewall, motor/trans mount, driveshaft, and maybe something else, is it possible to drop a 7mge (preferably with, but possibly without a turbo) into an 84 celica? if so, how much of a horsepower increase would there be stock? and are there any good companies that make performance parts?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I think the 7mge/gte is the same general size as the 5gme. Isn't the 84 Celica FWD?? That is a lot of motor to stick sideways in a car.... I've seen 5mge's in Toyota Trucks... but I dunno about Celicas. I know a 7mgte will bolt into a Supra with a 5mge... so I'm assuming they are around the same size. I dont know why one would fit and the other wouldn't.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I believe the 7mge larger displacement... it was the replacement of the 5mge. 82-86.5 got the 5mge.... 86.5 got the 7mge and 7mgte. There is also a 6mge that was released only in Japan. 5mge is about 140hp, 6mge 160hp, and I'm not sure what the stock 7mge puts out... but the 7mgte puts out about 220hp.

If your Celica is rwd.... if its the one I am thinking of... you should be able to fit a 5mge or 7mge in there... it looks almost exactly the same as the Supra except with funny headlights if I'm thinking of the right one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the celica is supposed to be about 3 inches shorter - i know toysport has done something similar, but i wonder what was involved

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 7mge/gte bolt right in but u have wire in the fuel pump and a coupe other things... I have the intructions on how to do it but I lost them... I am doing the 7mgte in my 84 celica... but I have to get the diagram for a shop im my town agian... but it is a very easy swap...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts