Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who follow NASCAR may have heard about it, but driver Rusty Wallace (1989 series champ) was allowed to run his car unrestricted (I'll explain that in a sec) at Talladega, which is one of the biggest superspeedways in the U.S. Generally, these cars run between 185 and 195 MPH when congifured correctly, but without the horsepower-robbing restrictor plates they really, really haul ass.

The restrictor plate itself fits between the carburetor and the intake manifold, and the openings are considerably smaller than those on the intake. What happens next, because the engine is essentially choked up, is that horsepower falls from an unplugged 800-ish to about 450-500. Ouch. I find it funny NASCAR let him do this, given that when speeds were judged a little too fast (195 mph) in the final practice for last fall's race at that very track, they issued even smaller plates... But still... 228 mph!

Steve

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Sweet. I've wondered how much faster they would go unrestricted. It's kind of amazing that going from 450 to 750hp only gets you about another 35 to 40 mph. Hard to push through all that air, eh? Also kind of amazing is that they can get better than 2hp per cubic inch on a NA, single carburettor, two valve per cylinder, pushrod V8. Too bad they only race in circles....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrtySthV6SE said:
restrictor plates:thumbdown
Agreed. These guys drive that fast partly because they have the skill to do so, therefore I see no need to slow them down. The only reason they are being restricted is because it is feared that the car will quite literally begin to fly.

alltrac165: Also agreed. It also takes some seriously tall gears to get that speed, too; in superspeedway form these cars hit 75 in First give or take.

Steve

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
87Camry5Speed said:
The only reason they are being restricted is because it is feared that the car will quite literally begin to fly.

indeed, that and NASCAR wants to make the races on huge tracks like dega and Daytona more interesting like 3-4 cars wide and big packs

·
Registered
50 Posts
alltrac165 said:
Too bad they only race in circles....

I though like once every season they would race on a course with turns and everything. I don't remember what it was called but I remember that they did have 2 courses but took one out.:( ... I'm not a big fan of circle racing... The only time I really got into a nascar was in the truck series with the toyota truck racing. I only saw one and don't plan on seeing any more.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't like NASCAR at all on TV, but I would be game to actually go and watch a race (actually seeing the cars might be better), but I like all the stuff like Porsche, Ferrari, etc. where they race on REAL race tracks.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
ive been to talladega several times and seen a few races. tv really doesnt do it justice. to see those cars come whizzin by at 195 is really crazy. crashes are just awesome. the sheer size of the track is really neat too.

a standard car would have to be going around 85 to keep from just sliding to the bottom of the track in the curves of the track

·
Formula One Fanatic
299 Posts
makes me wonder what an f1 car would do with a low downforce set up on a superspeed way. i know they can go from like 30-40 mph to 220ish in around a mile, so given enough room, they would haul ass.

fuel injected, pneumatic valvetrain, 19,000 rpm v10 > carbureted, pushrod, 8500 rpm v8

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alltrac165 you're thinking of the two road-course races- Watkins Glen (5 hours from me in upstate NY_ and Sears Point, now labelled Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Ca.

Sonoma is usually the last race of the first "half" of the season, at the end of June, and the Glen comes up in early to mid August...

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.