Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 Pickup, 4-cylinder

Was wondering if this can tow much of anything with just a 4-cyl.

Would it be able to tow a trailer with a 3200 pound car on it for about 375 miles & back?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I doubt that an '86 Toy would be able confidently pull that load with confidence. Towing is not just about power, but stopping ability, cooling, and suspension stability!

It a darn shame too, considering what our older trucks are capable of. I do pull a trailer, but it is a small (4'x8' floor) that I use for annual tree and yard clippings. I have read that the towing ability of this era of truck is ONE-THIRD of what you are planning. Renting/borrowing should be a real option in my opinion. I don't even know if I would try this in flat Kansas. A lot of my fear is that there are soooo many drivers out there that cannot possibly fathom 20 second delay in their commute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I truley appreciate them. I've never owened a truck before this one and have no doubt that it would actually be able to do the job, but I don't want to be limited to 35mph on the interstate and then destroy the truck.

I was just curious about the towing capability and I'll stay with my 1st instinct driving the car there and back, and still have the truck to drive in my everyday adventures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts