Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all-

I've got an 82 pickup that's started making a strange squealing noise from the front of the engine. At first I thought it was just a loose fan belt, so I installed a new fan belt and tighened up to specs, but the noise was the same. After consulting the idiot guide, I figured it must be the alternator bearings. So I replaced the alternator, and the squeal was still there. I tried running the truck with the belt off, and no squeal. So, I figured it's got to be something with the water pump/belt/alternator (I don't have AC or power steering). I just replaced the water pump last year, and I've never heard that kind of sound coming from a bum water pump, but then again I'm not really a master mechanic. I figured that was the next part to swap out, but I'd rather not do it unless I'm sure that's the problem. Anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks,
Adam

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
could be the main pully on the block, little rust bits could be there causing the belt to skip, try and get some bar soap (the kind you shower with) and while the engine is running just let it rub against the belt and try to work it on the bottom and side, see if it keeps making the noise after that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know if your vehicle has one or not, but on one of my old cars there was an "idler pulley". The purpose of the idler pulley was to be able to tension the belts or something, I am really not sure. But in any case, it was a pullet that the belt went over but wasn't part of an actual device on the car. was just a pulley by itself. This caused the same type of noise on mine, so if you have one, check it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my camry the squeal was caused by misalignment of the drive belt. Belts wear out accordingly to small degrees of misalignment. If you take the belt out and re-install it the opposite, it may create a squeal due to uneven forces acting upon pulleys, I think.
Also, in my opinion, the under thigthening of other components with pulleys like the alternator may cause belt to mis align.
try a new belt or the original belt if you have it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, dress your belts, lube em up. Then check for water pump pulley sloppiness. But no go on the idler pulley/tensioner because there won't be one if you don't have power steering, they run on different belts. The tensioner is the swivel of the alternator. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts