Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just got my hands on a 1985 Toyota truck. It has a 22r engine, 2wd, carbourated<sp?>, with 110,000 original miles on it.

The Problem:
Cranks over and fires up like a champion then just dies out. Occasionaly it might barely idle for a minute

Info:
Looks like it has a brand new carb on it
New fuel filter and Fuel pump installed today
Hosed it down in and around the carb with cleaner, can't seem to find any obvious vachuum leaks.
Made a quick check of the hoses, all seem to be routed correctly.
New tank of gas with octane booster in it

2 interesting things I noticed....first if I place my hand over the throat with the air cleaner off and choke it down, it seems to run better for longer and will actually tolerate me giving some throttle.
Second, if I unplug the wiring that goes from the carb to the harness, nothing changes.

Please help me out here,
Dean

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds like it could be out of adjustment, or dirt could be lodged in it somewhere from when it was installed....???
Id suggest to buy one of those chilton repair books for it,.. they help alot for both minor and major problems. It'll tell you where all carb adjustments should be for stock settings, and a troubleshoot guide. Im not pro, but thats what id look at first before diving deeper.:thumbup:

-Adam-

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
It running longer with your hand over the mouth of the carb seems to indicate either a vacuum leak somewhere, or a serious jetting issue. Is the choke set up right? Are there any vacuum lines not hooked up somewhere?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts