Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What typically causes a 22re head gasket to fail?

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
Lemme guess... yours went out?

I have no clue right now, were you driving normally?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Excessive heat is the main cause. Could be from coolant issue (low coolant, bad pump, using more than 65% antifreeze, clogging from gunk caused by mixing with tap water or mixing different coolant types, bad thermostat, bad radiator cap, clogged radiator fins or clogged A/C evaporator fins in front of radiator, bad fan clutch).

Could also be excessive combustion temps caused by running too lean (clogged injectors, possibly bad O2 sensor) or by EGR not operating properly.

Another cause can be rusting of the head gasket fire rings caused by failing to change coolant every two years or from mixing with tap water or different coolant type. This is almost exclusively a problem with Prestone; very rare with Toyota Red coolant.

Allowing the engine to run with chronic pinging can also blow the gasket. Pinging can be caused by timing too advanced, running too lean, carbon deposits in cylinder, EGR not working, bad knock sensor.

On the 22RE, using a 180 deg thermostat is probably a good preventative measure (stock is 190 deg). The 180 deg stat is the one for the turbo engine, the 85-88 22RTEC, part # 90916-03083.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Excessive heat is the main cause. Could be from coolant issue (low coolant, bad pump, using more than 65% antifreeze, clogging from gunk caused by mixing with tap water or mixing different coolant types, bad thermostat, bad radiator cap, clogged radiator fins or clogged A/C evaporator fins in front of radiator, bad fan clutch).

Could also be excessive combustion temps caused by running too lean (clogged injectors, possibly bad O2 sensor) or by EGR not operating properly.

Another cause can be rusting of the head gasket fire rings caused by failing to change coolant every two years or from mixing with tap water or different coolant type. This is almost exclusively a problem with Prestone; very rare with Toyota Red coolant.

Allowing the engine to run with chronic pinging can also blow the gasket. Pinging can be caused by timing too advanced, running too lean, carbon deposits in cylinder, EGR not working, bad knock sensor.

On the 22RE, using a 180 deg thermostat is probably a good preventative measure (stock is 190 deg). The 180 deg stat is the one for the turbo engine, the 85-88 22RTEC, part # 90916-03083.
Good post. :thumbsup:

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lemme guess... yours went out?

I have no clue right now, were you driving normally?
Nope, it dident go out. Just curious as to why mine did go out on a remanufactured engine with only 85000 miles on it. After i put the engine in my truck it only had 60000 miles on it. I put 25000 miles on it before it started eating antifreeze, pulled the head and sure enough the head gasket failed. Ruled it out as a possible faulty head gasket from when they remanufactured it beings i never overheated it. Was just thinking about it last night a i figured id ask you guys what the normal cause was.:chug:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nope, it dident go out. Just curious as to why mine did go out on a remanufactured engine with only 85000 miles on it. After i put the engine in my truck it only had 60000 miles on it. I put 25000 miles on it before it started eating antifreeze, pulled the head and sure enough the head gasket failed. Ruled it out as a possible faulty head gasket from when they remanufactured it beings i never overheated it. Was just thinking about it last night a i figured id ask you guys what the normal cause was.:chug:
I'd say cheap gasket, or the head wasnt torqued down properly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
NEVER I MEAN NEVER PUT DIONIZED WATER IN YOUR RADIATOR..FOR SOME REASON AN ELECTRICAL CURRENT WILL BUILD UP SO BAD IT WILL WELD YOUR ENGINE APART..happened to me

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Just wanted to chime in because someone said loose head bolts or not torqued. In the day, we use to do a valve adjust every 15k and as part of that service was to re-torque the head. Very few blown head gaskets if you did the services that were mentioned. Red coolant, re-torque head, change coolant more often, use distilled water, etc.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just wanted to chime in because someone said loose head bolts or not torqued. In the day, we use to do a valve adjust every 15k and as part of that service was to re-torque the head. Very few blown head gaskets if you did the services that were mentioned. Red coolant, re-torque head, change coolant more often, use distilled water, etc.
Yeah this is what I was taught, we just use antifreeze 50/50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts