Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upping the viscosity of my oil. I'm currently running 10w30 and it's leaky a couple drops a day. I think that 15w40 might be good, also thinking 20w50. It's not getting below 30* here anymore so a thicker oil shouldn't hurt much. It's leaking at the front of the engine btw.

What do you think about my temp fix?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
Once your oil is hot, it won't really matter what viscosity you're using if there's somewhere for it to get out. Pick up a front main seal and an oil pump o-ring, then plan a day to change them and give yourself peace of mind.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
The hardest part is removing the crankshaft pulley, which you might want to attempt to loosen before starting the job. Other than that, it's all right on the front of the engine - pretty simple and easy to get to. You need to remove the oil pump, which houses the oil pump o-ring and front seal, then it's a straightforward job.

As has been mentioned a thousand times before, keep the oil pump bolts in the exact position they came from when removing the pump, otherwise you may tighten one of the bolts right onto the timing chain.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
DCM is quite right that replacing the seal is the right way to fix the problem, but running thicker oil can help reduce oil leaks as a temporary measure. Better still, use a good High Mileage oil with seal conditioners - often times, they do work. Castrol makes a good one - GTX High Mileage, and Valvoline MaxLife is also very good. I've heard good things about Chevron's Supreme High Mileage oil, too. I know Autozone carries some of these, and wallyworld probably does too.

I don't think the Castrol or Valvoline come in 15W40, but you can mix a few quarts of 10W40 with some of the 20W50, since it is still getting near freezing at nights, and 20W50 is pretty thick near freezing. With High Mileage oil, even the 10W40 by itself might do the trick.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
^ Quite right; I only suggested what I did because it's easy to forget after a temporary fix, only to have the oil pump o-ring split, spewing all your oil out onto the road in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, and your only companion is your psychotic drunken knitting needle-wielding mother in law who doesn't shave her pits.

So you're saying that the bolts are different lengths?

Edit: I didn't see front main seal, but I'm guessing that's what the larger is?
Yes, they are different lengths, and yes, the thick round piece is the front main seal.

·
Registered
1990 2WD Pickup Base
54 Posts
He didn't say where he's losing the oil from, though. I have the same problem. I'm losing a few drops a day as well but mine seems to be coming from the rear of the engine. The bottom of my bellhousing is coated so I'm thinking mine is the rear oil seal (and the oil pan gasket is leaking too). I would suggest pinpointing where the leak is coming before getting your gaskets/seals.

edit: just reread OP. Didn't see that he specified front of engine. oops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts