Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the prerequisite search of the forum, but didn't find any solid answers on my issue. What I've got is an '89 22RE (California) with 311K miles. The timing chain has some miles on it, and last change I've added the metal chain guides from LC Engineering. It also has exhaust headers from LC Engineering.

The problem is loud ticking from either #3 or #4 exhaust valves. If I run the gaps tighter, like 5 or 6 mils, I can make it quieter, but on opening the throttle, it gets louder. Many people have said this is an exhaust leak, but I've removed the headers and inspected/replaced the gasket, and there was no signs of leaking. With the headers you do hear the exhaust more, but this seems to be limited to one cylinder. I've recently adjusted the exhaust valves back to factory of 12 mils (hot), and it ticks loudly at idle.
I have also run it with the valve cover cap nuts completely loose, and there is no difference. None of these issues seem to effect performance. I'd just like a smoother sounding truck.

So here are my theories:
1) Something is still not adjusted right on the exhaust valves.
2) Burnt exhaust valve is letting gases escape, which sounds like a exhaust leak.
3) Damaged valve seat is not letting valve seat properly, causing a tick.

Any other theories?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
397 Posts
check your collector gasket.

also to help pinpoint it, get a wire hanger and bend it straight. put it up to your ear and poke around your engine looking for the loudest point. I use a real stethoscope.. maybe you could get one at the parts store for cheap?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your collector gasket.

also to help pinpoint it, get a wire hanger and bend it straight. put it up to your ear and poke around your engine looking for the loudest point. I use a real stethoscope.. maybe you could get one at the parts store for cheap?
Thanks, but what is a collector gasket? Hadn't heard that one before.

Actually for listening I use a really long screwdriver and put the handle up to my ear. Works well and not much chance of getting a screwdriver handle to do much damage to the ear parts. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts