Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 X-Cab with 165K on it. I have noticed over the last few months that the oil pressure gauge shows the pressure near the low side of the gauge. So the other day I went and installed a manual gauge to see where the pressure really was and I found that it is at approx 11psi at idle approx 700rpm. This seems a little low too me as I would expect it should be at or near 30psi at idle. This being the case I would assume that the engine is going to at the very least need a new oil pump and rod bearings. Now I ask you all, is this a very complex project? Can I just pull the pan on this truck and have good access and not have to pull the crank?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
grab a haynes manual it would be your friend in this. but looking at my manual doesnt look hard at all to change the oil pump just drop the oil pan and the front pully. for the bearings no idea but the haynes maual does say how to do them ... you have to read the whole sectoion but it tells you. oh and part # for it is 92075 or isbn 1-56392-151-0

·
Registered
17 Posts
oil pressure

My 92 4x4 22re has the same malady. I contacted toyota about it and was informed that 11 to 13 psi at idle is fine, not to worry. I also picked up a manual guage and installed it. Now, this m ay not be for everyone, but i run chevron 30wt oil in it and the pressure is better. At 123,00 miles, I think that the 10w30 oil is on the light side. Just me, course I also added a temp guage and voltmeter so I know what the motor is doing. Just a side note, run the dealer filter on this motor as it does have a anti-bleed back valve in it so the cam chain tensionior stay taunt during start up and avoids that slap noise at start up! I cut a couple brands apart and looked inside. Most toyotas have a light so as not to alarm people. Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Tim, thanks for the info that was what I was hoping to hear. I also installed a manual guage in my truck this last weekend and found that the pressure is constant at approx 12psi @idle and 50psi @3000rpm. I did not know about the filter thing though and that slappy noise has been driving me kinda crazy.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,955 Posts
yeah my camry is at 20psi at idle when it warms up but at startup it's at 70psi. i use 20w50 but my car says to use 5w30 but i'm sticking with the 20w50. you sjould try it. and btw the movement in the gauge is smooth right? i mean when you eccelerate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2wickedtoyz said:
yeah my camry is at 20psi at idle when it warms up but at startup it's at 70psi. i use 20w50 but my car says to use 5w30 but i'm sticking with the 20w50. you sjould try it. and btw the movement in the gauge is smooth right? i mean when you eccelerate.
Your talking about a completely different engine and I can't actually be much help for ya. Though, to answer your question yes my gauge movement was very smooth through the rpm range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrfrk said:
Your talking about a completely different engine and I can't actually be much help for ya. Though, to answer your question yes my gauge movement was very smooth through the rpm range.
If it's a cold start then it's close too 70psi, but it drops from that pretty fast as the oil warms up.

·
Registered
588 Posts
not all of use have any foreign dealer near us, like out here in cornfields central IL, i would have to go to springfield or somewhere to find a yota dealer, i will go with napa gold filters on my 22R-E

i have no other choice

i have no oil guage in my dahs, i got low end dash, 140 mph and temp and fuel guage in which is dead, and thats all its got other than fuel light,

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts