Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1993 pickup, 150K on the original motor. about a week ago i drove it into town, ran like it had been for a while, it would skip through 1st gear then it would pick up and stop skipping once i hit 2nd. On the way home it didnt stop skipping. ive replaced the dist cap and rotor, put new plugs and wires, ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it, along with valve and lifter cleaner. ive had it the timing checked and it still skips. What i dont understand is that i can pull off the plug wire on the 3rd cylinder and it doesnt change the way its running but the plug wire sparks fine, so it cant be the distributor. but when you pull off the wire on a diff plug it almost stalls out. the valve and lifter cleaner was just put in today and ive had the truck running for about half an hour and it hasnt even remotely changed. Am i being too impatient with the cleaner?:headbang:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

First thing, pull the plug and see what it looks like. Black, tan, wet, dry, fluffy, burned, etc. Put in a new plug or switch it with another cylinder.

Next run a compression test on that cylinder and see what the number are. Eliminate mechanical causes before we jump into fuel.

Let us know what you find.

dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a compression test, all cylinders are putting out good psi. i took apart the distributor and cleaned the points on the inside, swapped out the plug on the 3rd cylinder again and its running a little better. i had someone tell me that the coil might be going bad, but i thought they didnt mess up until they got hot. i took the valve cover off and checked the cam and lobes, shecked the springs for clearence, checked the timing to make sure it was on. Im running out of ideas. About the only other things i can think of are the TPS, the air flow meter or an injector...:headbang:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts