Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Toyota pickup with a 22re motor won't start when it is cold. If it is warm, plugged in, etc. it will start every time. What would be the problem here? I have done a bit of searching around and have a few ideas, but I am curious as to what you guys think.

Looks like a pretty good website here.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Welcome to the forum :welcome:
Sounds like the cold start injector may not be firing. The easiest test is to pull the connector and check the injector's two terminals with an ohmmeter. You're looking for 2-4 ohms, (5 ohms probably also okay). If not in spec, you'll need a new injector. As they are very pricey, I'd recommend looking for a used one on ebay, craiglist or a junkyard.

The most certain test is to pull it out of the plenum (plug the plenum but make absolutely certain whatever you use cannot be sucked inside the motor). Hold the injector in a large can, bucket or jar and have someone try to start the motor (do this when motor is cold). The injector should fire somewhere between 3 and 15 seconds.

If the injector resistance checks out but it doesn't fire at startup, check that it is receiving power by testing the terminals of the harness connector with a voltmeter while someone tries to start the motor. If no power, check the resistance of the cold start injector time switch, located below and to the right of the throttle body, next to the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT), and check the ECT too - the computer looks at that to determine if motor is "cold".

In the manual, check the ENGINE - MFI SYSTEM - COLD START INJECTOR, MFI SYSTEM - COLD START INJECTOR SWITCH, and MFI SYSTEM - ECT SENSOR sections.

If the injector checks out and there's power, a final problem could be a badly clogged injector. You might try carb cleaner on that, followed by adding a bottle of Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner to 2/3 to 3/4 tank of gas. That's about the only injector cleaner that still has a good amount of polyether amine (PEA), the most effective injector cleaning chemical.

If the cold start injector is working okay, post back and we'll come up with some other suggestions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts