Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hiya,

I am seriously looking at some first generation Toyota 4runners, but I am kind of in a dilemma at the moment. First, I was looking for a carburated version and was going to do a weber/offy combo and nice header and exhaust, but finding a 4 runner with the carburated engine has been nearly impossible (and I am not really looking to do an entire engine swap at least right now so that is kind of out of the question). So, then I learned about the 22ret that was available for a few years with the factory turbo. That really sounded interesting.

Anyhow, I have found a 87 4runner in good shape for sale here, and it is the turbo version. However, after doing some research, it looks as if the stock turbo in these things isn't very good and dies after around 60k miles, and costs about $1800 to replace for the part alone. I have found that there is a kit for an upgraded and better one from TEC, but still, around 1300 bucks and stuff. Also with a turbo unit, the header has to be a special version and is not widely available.

So, I was looking around, and saw that at Northwest Offroad they have (at least in the past) sold Paxton superchargers for the 22re. I have absolutely no experience with supercharging or turbo, but one big difference that I have been told is that turbo tends to be very hot whereas supercharging doesn;t have that issue, but what about performance?

Anyhow, just looking for some info or comparisons if anyone has any experience with this. What sort of difference in performance would one typically see between the two types of systems? I saw a magazine article that did the upgrade to the turbo on a truck, and not only got more power but also 4 miles more per gallon...does a supercharger also help with power and MPG or will it hurt efficiency? Any sort of help would be appreciated. thanks!

*EDIT* By the way, I looked through the sticky at the top regarding forced air induction and also the S/C vs. Turbo thread as well, but the SC vs Turbo thread seems to have degenerated into flames on the first page. I guess what I am really looking for is anything as how it would apply specifically to the 222re or 22ret engine family. Thanks!

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I have a customer at my shop with a 22rte in a 4x4 p/u, near 185,000 miles, turbo seems ok. Turbos are rebuildable. For the kind of money you're talking tho I'd sooner swap in a 4.3 GM V6.
;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tercel GTS said:
I have a customer at my shop with a 22rte in a 4x4 p/u, near 185,000 miles, turbo seems ok. Turbos are rebuildable. For the kind of money you're talking tho I'd sooner swap in a 4.3 GM V6.
;)
Haha trust me, this crossed my mind as well, but I think I would somewhat defeat my purpose. At least to this point, I have never seen a 4.3 convert getting 25mpg or so, and with gas prices the way they are right now, that is a fairly important factor lol. Also, be kinda nice to have something that is a bit different from the norm. Turbos (especially the factory turbo version) are fairly rare, so always an interesting topic of conversation. Anyhow, thanks for the info regarding your customer there. I so want to pick this 4runner up since the price is so good, but for the exact same reason (the price) I am just assuming that there has to be something major wrong with the whole engine or something hehe. But still might be worth it if I can get the thing and rebuild the engine and have a whole rig with no miles on the engine for under $4k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes it is true that the 22retc it a rarer model, and for good reason, the 20r family was built like a tank and lasted through everything, was used from the late 70s al the way to 2000, ut the turbo model was a quick fix to try and get more horsepower from the smaller 4 cyl, right about that same time they gave up and just made the 3vze 3.0L SR5 V6 (soon after and thank God replaced by the more fuel efficient and ballsier/torquier 3.4L 5vzfe SR5 V6.), mainly because the turbo made the fuel mileage that much worse, and did in general go out, I think it was the T22 model, but don't quote me on that its been a while since Ive played with one. Anyhow, yes its worth it for collectors sake but if you really want to turbo charge it and don't mind to terribly about the mileage, go ahead and find your self a good factory T66 turbo, again bigger, badder, and tougher. this will however require minor modification to make it fit. As for rebuilding the engine, yes that's definitely a good idea and low cost (well when it comes to engine rebuild and Toyota Engine at that) if parts are priced right and machine work done properly (more costly but worth it) your looking at maybe a grand to $1200, now that's without a commercial business license. This engine is so cheap compared to many others mainly because its a goat, used in everything Toyota had, kinda like the small block 302 cheap and efficient and still used today. now just a little secret, I build engines for many race events and one of which is dirt track and 22rec engines have such a lightweight cam design and when set up properly will blow the 302s away even though the 302s have a lot more power, because you can wrap the 22rec harder.
As fot that article, you might want to find out what all else they did because generaly themore air you force into the engine(turbo/SC) the more fuel you have to burn to compensate (=more horsepower)....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh just found the link again. Here is the link to the article. It was scanned in from a magazine.

http://www.greenhydrant.com/~drees/auto/celica/turboupgrade.php

After doing some more looking around, it seems as though it would be a LOT more money than I would be looking to spend to build an engine for a supercharger. Buying one with factory turbo is an option, but maybe has more problems associated with it, and one of the main reasons that it was of interest to me was that it seemed like a way to get more power AND increase efficiency at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I have always been under the impression that typically when you up your power, you can also lower your efficiency, but a lot of the info I have been seeing seems to suggest that if you aren't going balls out then you can actually increase the efficiency. I am not a racer or anything and am just looking for better overall driveability, and from a turbo a meager 6 lbs of boost would be more than enough I think, much like the stock units.

Hmmm, maybe I will just have to buy a 1st generation 4runner and also buy a newer model 22r set up for carburetor and do the simple weber and header. Since I live in an area with emissions testing I can't just yank an older one. Oh well. Thanks for responses all.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
toysport.com they have some nice facts on the 22r and quick fix ideas ... for the 22r one of the best sites i can find is http://www.lcengineering.com/ they have a lot of good parts for the 20r famly. personaly i been looking at the header, cam, and bored out tb, for mine. maybe later i'll get the turbo kit and some low comrpression pistons .... look at the toysport artical for what i'm talking about :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks for all the replys. After seeing everything here and really thinking about what I need, I think that turbo and supercharging are out of the question. I am just looking for a daily driver kind of thing with a little bit of added power and hopefully economy at the same time, and although I have found a 87 4runner with the 22ret here in Portland for $2495 (seems to be in pretty great shape), I think that the possible headaches are more than I need. And building a new engine for one will cost more than I am willing to spend. Wish that the early 4 runners had a carbureted version so I could just throw on a weber, offy, header, and exhaust for a decent and easy upgrade. Oh well hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts