Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a 255/55/19 on the Highlander Sport? I've researched this to death and what a PITA this has been. I'm also looking at the OEM size of 245/55/19 in the Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel. Any suggestions would be helpful as my OEM Bridgestones are done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, I run 255/55/R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires on my 2008 HL Sport. They have been on my SUV for over 14000 miles. I replaced the OEM Toyo A20 Open Country tires at just over 18,000 miles. The Alenza tires are showing very little wear and have yielded excellent performance. They are light years better than the Toyo tires.

·
4,180 Posts
I think I was the first to switch to the 255/55/19 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's with 500 miles on the HL. We're approaching 15,000 and they still look brand new. They got us through the worst winter in Maryland history, I had them both on the Highlander and my Sequoia.

Read ALL the posts discussing the same thing, I've never had one complaint. The only other tire I would compare (not that I would) would be the 255/55/19 Pirelli Scorpion ATR which have a lesser treadwear warranty and supposedly flat spot temporarily if they sit too long.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've never had a problem with Goodyear. It would be my 1st choice in your area.

Anything is better than the Toyo A20's and other Toyota OE tires.

Hankook also has a tire in the stock size now.

Toyo has a couple better choices now: Versado CUV and Open Country HT

Stepping up to the 255's gives you a dozen choices. In Florida, just skip over the snow/ice tires and flip a coin. Most seem to be good enough. And, you probably don't off road so you can rule out a couple of the knobby AT and MT tires.

Better choices in the 245 size now that weren't available before.

I run stock sized Blizzak's year round now. Even this bubble gummy soft tire is holding up better than the Toyo A20's that my Highlander came with. Although, I wouldn't run Blizzaks in Florida!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I replaced the OEM Toyo's at 28,000 miles with 255/55 R19 Nokian WR G2's. I have only had them on for about 2000 miles, but no complaints thus far. Anticpate they will do significanlty better in snow than the stock Toyo's. The more agressive tread pattern does not track as linear as the stock Toyos, but I expected that.

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
I replaced the OEM Toyo's at 28,000 miles with 255/55 R19 Nokian WR G2. I have only had them on for about 2000 miles, but no complaints thus far. Anticpate they will do significanlty better in snow than the stock Toyo's. The more agressive tread pattern does not track as linear as the stock Toyos, but I expected that.
On 1010tires.com the reviews gave Nokian WR G2 a 5 out of 5!:thumbsup:

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Folks - I don't mean to thread-jack, but need some advice.

I have a '10 Highlander Sport, and have read most of these threads on the Toyo A20 performance. I don't know what to expect, come winter time.

I spoke to a local retailer and he recommended 17" aluminum wheels with 245-65-17 Bridgestone Blizzak, while retaining the stock wheels and Toyo A20's for the summer. The price was around 1500/CDN.

Alternatively, I was thinking of the following:

- Get Hankook iPike snows in 255-55-19 on the stock wheels.
- Get new aluminum wheels (19x8.5") and 285-45-19 all-season's

Anybody with experience in this size? I know the 285-45-19 has a slightly different diameter than the stock wheel. Apart from the speedo, what else could be affected?

I just feel a 285 would fill the fenders better than the 245 :) Thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The 17" tires/wheels would be better for winter driving...for winter you want a narrow profile.

Regarding 285 x 45 x 19...I suspect you'll have clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Highlander sizes:
245/65/17
245/55/19 Many picked 255/55/19 simply because more options were available. Now the stock 19" size has plenty of good choices.

Rx330/350 18" rims:
245/60/18

Venza 20" rims:
245/50/20

The tires are all the same width and height and keeps your speedo accurate. So, rim size doesn't dictate 'narrow profile'. What you want is a good sidewall to cushion all those unseen potholes, road issues.... during the winter. The tallest sidewall(highest profile) is with the 17" rims.

Some old timers like me don't like overly wide tires in snow since they can 'parachute' and slow you down. I prefer a narrow tire which means cutting the width down to 225 and then picking a sidewall aspect ratio and rim size so that tire diameter matches stock. Width adds flotation and I want my tire to get to the bottom for traction. Ever wonder why some older Landcruisers, Landrovers, RangeRovers use tall narrow tires???

The stock Toyo A20's, IMHO, are ice skates on snow covered roads. Definitely consider some 17" or 18" rims with Blizzak's, Nokian's...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm not convinced either way, and will try and experiment. Will let you know how it goes if I do decide to up-size.

Thanks again and regards!

Highlander sizes:
245/65/17
245/55/19 Many picked 255/55/19 simply because more options were available. Now the stock 19" size has plenty of good choices.

Rx330/350 18" rims:
245/60/18

Venza 20" rims:
245/50/20

The tires are all the same width and height and keeps your speedo accurate. So, rim size doesn't dictate 'narrow profile'. What you want is a good sidewall to cushion all those unseen potholes, road issues.... during the winter. The tallest sidewall(highest profile) is with the 17" rims.

Some old timers like me don't like overly wide tires in snow since they can 'parachute' and slow you down. I prefer a narrow tire which means cutting the width down to 225 and then picking a sidewall aspect ratio and rim size so that tire diameter matches stock. Width adds flotation and I want my tire to get to the bottom for traction. Ever wonder why some older Landcruisers, Landrovers, RangeRovers use tall narrow tires???

The stock Toyo A20's, IMHO, are ice skates on snow covered roads. Definitely consider some 17" or 18" rims with Blizzak's, Nokian's...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the Hankook 255/55s due to $$$$. You guys make me laugh about "snow" tires. We had snow once here back in 1989...LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
By the way, I checked tire dimensions on tirerack.com and here is a comparison on sizes; from this, I believe the 265 is a better overall match for the OE size. Not sure if there are tire availability issues in this size. Thanks

Tire Size Width Diameter Revs
245-55-19 10" 29.7" 703
255-55-19 10.4" 30" 696
265-50-19 10.9" 29.5" 702

·
Registered
98 Posts
265s would be pretty darn close to rubbing, if they even fit...I'd be concerned about going that wide on a stock wheel. There's not much clearance there...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Per Tirerack.com, a 265 series tire can fit on a 7.5" - 9.5" rim, with a recommended rim width of 8.5 ".

I plan to get 19x8.5" rims ... but not sure about clearance with the strut; maybe the wheel offset will come into play there.

Thanks

265s would be pretty darn close to rubbing, if they even fit...I'd be concerned about going that wide on a stock wheel. There's not much clearance there...

·
Moe
08 Highlander
9 Posts
Today I'm pulling the trigger on a set of the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 255/55R19 tires. (DOT 1111). Thanks to all the members who have posted about tires in these forums. I've read a LOT of threads on this topic! :D

My wife's '08 Limited came with the Dueler H/L 400's grrr. Yet we managed to squeak about 38K out of them. Had the wear that is evident on them been on my motorcycle tires I would have had to replace them around the 25K mark! Gotta love 4 wheels if only for that one reason. (loss of one tire won't generally kill ya).

I kinda wish the oem tires where those grand A20s. Only because I could have received a substantial discount on a set on the Toyo Open Country H/Ts. Yet I would have been forking out $$ a lot sooner!

In my price range this is the order of tires I would purchase:

#1 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 255/55R19 (and purchasing today)
btw, Mike Erdman Toyota called me back with a price quote and after I told him about the deal I was getting he said he would talk to his manager and see if they would match that price. That deal is $1,066.92 out the door. We'll see eh? :rolleyes:

#2 Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max 245/55R19

#3 Toyo Open Country H/T P245/55R19 103S

·
Registered
e36 M3
13 Posts
I keep seeing/reading all of these HL tire reviews/options threads, but have not found anyone using the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Has anyone used these on their HL? The 255/50/19 size would probably be the best option. I am just curious since it seems like everyone either goes with the TOYO, Pirelli or Bridgestone's.

:chug:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Today I'm pulling the trigger on a set of the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 255/55R19 tires. (DOT 1111). Thanks to all the members who have posted about tires in these forums. I've read a LOT of threads on this topic! :D

My wife's '08 Limited came with the Dueler H/L 400's grrr. Yet we managed to squeak about 38K out of them. Had the wear that is evident on them been on my motorcycle tires I would have had to replace them around the 25K mark! Gotta love 4 wheels if only for that one reason. (loss of one tire won't generally kill ya).

I kinda wish the oem tires where those grand A20s. Only because I could have received a substantial discount on a set on the Toyo Open Country H/Ts. Yet I would have been forking out $$ a lot sooner!

In my price range this is the order of tires I would purchase:

#1 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 255/55R19 (and purchasing today)
btw, Mike Erdman Toyota called me back with a price quote and after I told him about the deal I was getting he said he would talk to his manager and see if they would match that price. That deal is $1,066.92 out the door. We'll see eh? :rolleyes:

#2 Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max 245/55R19

#3 Toyo Open Country H/T P245/55R19 103S
Firestone (http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/) has your #1 choice Bridgestone for $913+tax, you can probably get them to take more money off using the costco coupon

i am gonna go that route this weekend maybe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts