Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently changed my sh-tty stock tires from 245/55R19 to 255?55R19s. Should any of the computers settings need to be changed to compensate for the size change such as Revs per mile? Thank you.
Anthony

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
would help the forum if you would keep us posted on how the 255's are working out for you.

I noticed that Bridgestone also has a Dueler H/L Alenza out now in the P255/55R19 size.

I have Dueler H/L 400's as stock tires on my HL.
Looking at the two stats the Alenza has a lot going for it over the 400's

Will be interesting to see how the Alenza compares to the Toyo Open Country H/L

·
<Insert title here>
372 Posts
Hi,
I recently changed my sh-tty stock tires from 245/55R19 to 255?55R19s. Should any of the computers settings need to be changed to compensate for the size change such as Revs per mile? Thank you.
Anthony
No, the 255 represents the width of the tire in millimeters. The 55 represents the sidewall width (or height), and obviously the 19 is the diameter of the wheel. Since you only changed the tire width to something larger, your speedo and odo will not be affected.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No, the 255 represents the width of the tire in millimeters. The 55 represents the sidewall width (or height), and obviously the 19 is the diameter of the wheel. Since you only changed the tire width to something larger, your speedo and odo will not be affected.
Actually, this is not correct. The 55 represents the sidewall height as a percent of the width. Since the width has increased by 10 mm, the sidewall will effectively increase by 55% of the 10 mm, or 5.5 mm.

So, yes, it will impact the speed and odo, although my a small amount. To be exact, at 65 mph, the speedo with the 255s will show 64.06 mph, ie a minor .94 mph difference. The argument by many, however, is that the speedo with the 245s is reading higher than it should be based on GPS comparisons, so the 255s may in fact result in a more accurate speed readout.

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is 100% correct :thumbsup:
:chug:
-Mike

Actually, this is not correct. The 55 represents the sidewall height as a percent of the width. Since the width has increased by 10 mm, the sidewall will effectively increase by 55% of the 10 mm, or 5.5 mm.

So, yes, it will impact the speed and odo, although my a small amount. To be exact, at 65 mph, the speedo with the 255s will show 64.06 mph, ie a minor .94 mph difference. The argument by many, however, is that the speedo with the 245s is reading higher than it should be based on GPS comparisons, so the 255s may in fact result in a more accurate speed readout.

Cheers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
255/55 19 Tires

Hello everyone, I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza tires and the size is 255/55 19. Being that it is a bigger tire would I still keep the tire pressure at the manufacture setting at 30psi. Because I had a mechanic to install these tires and he put in 35psi I can feel every bump on the road. Do anyone think that the psi is too high? Should I keep it at 30psi? These tires are "V" rated but I don't think they should be that bumpy. Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello everyone, I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza tires and the size is 255/55 19. Being that it is a bigger tire would I still keep the tire pressure at the manufacture setting at 30psi. Because I had a mechanic to install these tires and he put in 35psi I can feel every bump on the road. Do anyone think that the psi is too high? Should I keep it at 30psi? These tires are "V" rated but I don't think they should be that bumpy. Thanks.
V rated tires have much stiffer sidewalls than the S rated OEM tires...you will feel more road in exchange for crisper handling. As far as tire pressure, my stock Toyos call for 33 psi. The tire is rated for 1929 lbs at 44 psi. Therefore each tire has to support 33/44 X 1929 lbs or 1,447 lbs. That is the critical number, the weight each tire has to support.

If your new tire supports 2000 lbs at 50 psi then 1447/2000 = 0.7235 x 50 psi = 36 psi.

The tire load rating and pressure is on the sidewall of the tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I spoke with Tirerack and they told me always go with the psi on the door panel no matter what size the tire you have. Is that true? Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I spoke with Tirerack and they told me always go with the psi on the door panel no matter what size the tire you have. Is that true? Thanks.
Not if the load rating is based on a totally different psi basis. Tires have to support the load in that corner of the car...the load handling changes with the amount of air pressure in the tire up to the max that is on the tire sidewall.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
It's a matter of opinion that often takes on religious proportions. IMO, no. I've always maintained 35 PSI in all my vehicles, regardless of make and model, and have always had even wear and long tread life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just checked my tires and they were at 45 psi. I was shocked. I have always run mine from 32-35psi and was wondering if there was a reason to run them so stiff? I know that if I towed something and was fully loaded I should add a little air, but for the most part I have 2-3 people in the vehicle.

Is there a reason to run them so high? I dropped mine to 35psi for now and can add back if needed, but I think I would get better MPG if I run them a little softer.

What are others here running them at?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just checked my tires and they were at 45 psi. I was shocked. I have always run mine from 32-35psi and was wondering if there was a reason to run them so stiff? I know that if I towed something and was fully loaded I should add a little air, but for the most part I have 2-3 people in the vehicle.

Is there a reason to run them so high? I dropped mine to 35psi for now and can add back if needed, but I think I would get better MPG if I run them a little softer.

Sounds like the dealer didn't properly prep you HL at delivery time. I believe that new vehicles are shipped with tires inflated to the max to avoid flat spots.

DeWat

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
Sounds like the dealer didn't properly prep your HL at delivery time.
Have they ever? They should have a big "Adjust tire pressure before delivering new car to customers" sign in there. :disappoin

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have them at 33psi. I drive usually drive alone or with one passenger and that pressure seems to give a good combination of handling and comfort. 35psi feels just a touch too firm to me. At the factory new cars are pumped up to 45-50psi because they are going to sit during transportation from the factory whether from Japan or here, plus they will sit in the port of entry or distribution center, and then sit some more on dealer lots. So, starting with high pressure, no worries about air loss to below normal levels.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts