Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to run 285/70/17 tires on my 2013 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6. Will be installing a 3" lift kit to do it. Probably going to go with 17" Raceline Raptors. My question is for anyone running 285/70/17 Tires, is there an "ideal" OFFSET/BACKSPACING that I should aim for in order to avoid rubbing in this wheel or any other 17' wheel for that matter. Better question, is there anyone out there running 285's who got lucky and with their specific tire/wheel combination has very little if any rubbing. I really want to avoid any trimming if at all possible.

Secondly, is there anyone running 285's on 17" TRD rims from an FJ or 4Runner like the "off road" wheels with the beadlock. Just wondering if this type of wheel is possible with 285's or if the offset won't allow for it without awful rubbing issues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi snowboard. Im running 285/70/17 nitto trail grapplers on Pro-comp 7036 wheels. I did a 3 inch lift in the front. I know what you are going through as I just had to do all this research when I ordered my setup. The news I have for you is.... If you want it to look cool... You gotta trim. The further the wheel sticks out from the fender, the wider the stance, and the cooler the look (within reason obviously) and the further the wheel sticks out, the more you have to trim. Dont be scared, trimming isnt that bad and nobody even ever sees the part you trim anyway. However, if you want to keep trimming to a minimum, it is commonly known that 8 inch wide wheels, with 4.5 inch backspace with 285's is the largest/widest combo you can go and still do only minor trimming. like this wheel :

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Series-7105-17x8-with-6-on-5-5-Bolt-Pattern-Flat-Black.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pn=PXA7105-7883

I wanted a wider and cooler look, so I went with 9" wide wheels, with a 4.75 backspace and im very happy with it. Yes, I had to trim more, but when I was spending $2K on wheels and tires I wanted the truck to look good. I dont like trucks that have the "tall and narrow" look. heres my wheels

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Series-7036-17x9-with-6-on-5-5-Bolt-Pattern-Flat-Black.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pn=PXA7036-7983

I think there are some threads with pics of how much different guys had to trim too. Check those out and good luck!

Heres how my truck turned out...

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I'm running a smaller tire on a wider wheel with less lift.

265/70/17's on 17x9 Moto Metal 951's, with only 1.75 inch of lift up front and nothing in the rear.

But, my rims have similar specs to the ones mentioned above. 4.25" of backspacing, -12 mm offest.

Here is a chart to show you how offset affects the rim and tire positioning in the wheel well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the tires installed. 3" lift installed. 285/70/17. Barely rubbed. I took off the little bit of plastic from in front of the tire and they fit perfect now. No rubbing. No worries. Looks awesome. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Nice pic, you can see everything, except the rims. Shoot with the sun at your back for best effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts