Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i'm so pissed right now. Dropped off my truck at 4wheel parts this morning at 10 a.m. in san jose to have them install my new rims "moto metal 951" and tires "bfg 285/70/17 A/T" on my 06 Tacoma. I have front and rear Hoes with TC arms. I have my front coilover cranked at 3 inches. Problem here 4wheel parts told me that it can not be done after 6 hrs for them to make the determination. Is this true?? Before i purchased the wheels i researched lots of all taco forums, TN and car domain and found numerous members with the same application and setup are running 285. Question, those running Hoes with 285's or even 3 inch lifts. How did you guys manage run 285? How much cutting did you guys do and where?? Can you take photos of the cutting?? Will 16's make any difference or should i take it to a different shop??? I'm totally bummed out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whoa..I actually just ordered my setup. Same setup you have except I got muds intstead of AT. The wheel and tire should fit, but im sure you'll have to do some major trimming. If I were you, I would take it to the place im taking it at California Concepts.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
They are right! It can't be done!!LOL!!!
Here is pictures of my trim job:

You will need to trim it before you can drive it! Or at least if you plan to turn?? LOL!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just installed 285/70/17's on 17X9 centerlines, same 4.5 backspace as well. 3" toytec. You have to remove the front mudflaps and mine drives with some rubbing, but does need trimmed or it will rub turning. I don't have experience with the hoes, but your setup should work fine if it's 3" lift.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
4 Wheel Parts is the shittiest place in the earth...The people that work there have no idea what theyre doing..ive heard so many bad things about them.......the only time i went there was to get a tow strap, i dont even know why, i paid a ridiculous price..

Whats the backspacing on your wheels??????? 285/70/17 with hoes should fit!!!! I know that a 4.0 or 4.5 should fit......they probably said it didnt fit because it was rubbing the caliper....????

·
Registered
707 Posts
I run 285's with no lift. Just had to remove the front flaps. What back space are the wheels and what width?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those 4 wheel installers don't know what they are talking about. Here is mine. 17x9 Moto Metal 951 and 285/70/17 BFG AT's. This is also on a 2.5" lift. I had to do some minor trimming because it rubbed at full lock. I also took off the mudflaps. Again, this is is a 2.5" Toy-Tec lift. I would think a 3" lift would need even less trimming. I love mine!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090750

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
marnes2986 said:
4 Wheel Parts is the shittiest place in the earth...The people that work there have no idea what theyre doing..ive heard so many bad things about them.......the only time i went there was to get a tow strap, i dont even know why, i paid a ridiculous price..

Whats the backspacing on your wheels??????? 285/70/17 with hoes should fit!!!! I know that a 4.0 or 4.5 should fit......they probably said it didnt fit because it was rubbing the caliper....????
I totally agree!!!! 4wheel parts is a rip off!! And they don't know what they are talking about. I don't think they have any training. Hell I don't think some of them even know what a Crescent wrench is!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the assurance. All i know is that they order me Moto Metal 951 6x5.5. I'll take it to a different shop and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
dmode, im getting that same setup. Your truck looks awesome....do you have any more side views of your truck? Besides the ones on cardomain?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it common for this year Tacoma running 285's to rub on the body mount at full lock?? If so what will be the fix?

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
There are people on here with the same exact wheels you have and 285s and they rub a little on the fenders, not on the cab mounts.

These wheels and tires should fit, especially if you ordered A/Ts. I have seen one person, OneMnk with the Muds and the same wheels, it looks like he had to trim a lot, but still no rubbing on the cab mounts.

If 4 Wheel Parts could not get the wheels and tires to fit, then they must have ordered you the wrong wheels with different backspacing.

Get a refund for your wheels and order them online somewhere and go to California Wheels in San Jose.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
NorCalTacoma said:
There are people on here with the same exact wheels you have and 285s and they rub a little on the fenders, not on the cab mounts.

These wheels and tires should fit, especially if you ordered A/Ts. I have seen one person, OneMnk with the Muds and the same wheels, it looks like he had to trim a lot, but still no rubbing on the cab mounts.

If 4 Wheel Parts could not get the wheels and tires to fit, then they must have ordered you the wrong wheels with different backspacing.

Get a refund for your wheels and order them online somewhere and go to California Wheels in San Jose.
yup!

zero offset and 4.5 backspacing should do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts