Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Don't do it.
Don't do Mobil 1 (already done) or the 10k OCI? I've been running a 10k OCI in the 4 Runner for a few years now, and was running a 5k OCI in the Camry. Still may stick with the 5k, but I do 5,000 miles in about 9 weeks.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I'll see how the oil looks at 5k, keep checking the consumption every week. I need to bench her this week while I wait for my daughter to dig up the title and we meet up to swap them around. Then register and pay taxes (for the third time) on her. Tag is a few months expired and the LEO presence in Los Alamos is heavy - for sure will get popped if I keep driving her with the tags these many months out.

Started a new thread to track all the fun I will be doing with her. Puddle lamps should be here by around Wed :)

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Update

Right at 3,000 miles since the engine swap. I am running her daily as my work commuter, since she gets about 28 mpg (4Runner gets about 18/19). I calculate it every fillup, and if I only drive it for work (highway) then it clocks 28. Sinclair gas, which claims Top Tier. Everything is still perfectly fine, no issues.

I will plan on doing my oil change at 5,000 miles instead of 10,000. Might as well stay per the book and not push it; 5k is the recommended OCI per the manual. I will stick with Mobil 1, and will probably stick with Mobil 1 filters as well off Amazon or Walmart - which ever is the best price.

Doing mod work on her, per my signature link below.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
8,286 MILE UPDATE

The rebuilt has over 8,000 highway (majority) miles on it as of today. I am most of the way through the second oil change interval (OCI) at 3,097 miles; meaning my next oil change is just under 2,000 miles. Not so much as a hiccup in the engine. Running super smooth.

Here is a shot of the oil dipstick at 3,097 miles:

When I changed the oil I put exactly 4.5 quarts in it, hitting the top Full dot pretty much bang on. I'd say this is much less than half a quart burn in over 3k miles. Nice! I was burning at least 5 quarts in 5k miles before it seized up. So I'd say the rebuilt is working very nicely so far. Time will tell.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
And why not:

Not sure what was up this oil change. Put in 4.5 qts, was up about this mark (a tad higher). Weird. Anyway, not much consumption in a bit over 2,000 miles. About half way through my OCI. Still Mobil 1, just not using HM variant. 0-20W.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,559 Posts
And why not:

Not sure what was up this oil change. Put in 4.5 qts, was up about this mark (a tad higher). Weird. Anyway, not much consumption in a bit over 2,000 miles. About half way through my OCI. Still Mobil 1, just not using HM variant. 0-20W.
Should I start the "dealership put in too much oil" thread? :wink:

I usually find 4.5 qt to typically be above the max mark. Mine has about .75" over max and the oil jug still has a .25 qt - .50 qt. That is assuming the lines on the oil jugs are right... As long as you know you did not add more than one 5qt jug of oil, it's not the end of the world.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts