Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I figured I would make a thread to list what our miles per gallons are for anyone with the 2AZ-FE engine.
Source: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2008_Toyota_Camry.shtml
Estimations Range Based on EPA Estimates
18.5 gallon tank * 31 estimated hwy mpg = 573.5 miles
18.5 gallon tank * 25 estimated average mpg = 462.5 miles
18.5 gallon tank * 21 estimated city mpg = 388.5 miles
How to calculate miles per gallon
(miles driven) / (amount of gasoline added) = (miles per gallon)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes please, gas mileage tells a lot about the health of the car. I was doing 14 - 16 MPG, so I was looking for the problem and found that I had valve cover gasket leaked. It's fixed now, will report back if my gas mileage goes back up.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Yes please, gas mileage tells a lot about the health of the car. I was doing 14 - 16 MPG, so I was looking for the problem and found that I had valve cover gasket leaked. It's fixed now, will report back if my gas mileage goes back up.
A valve cover gasket leak will have nothing to do with your fuel mileage. The first thing I would check is for brake drag at any of the 4 wheels.

Mike

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,690 Posts
When my O2 sensor is not going nuts (running it rich), I hit 28 mpg. Most miles are highway, 65 or so mph. But, big grades both directions so I get clobbered climbing to and from work. If I do city then I get about 24/25.

Anxious to put in a new exhaust manifold (CAT) and O2 sensors. They are at about 260k after all, and many, many miles of sever oil burning before the rebuilt engine. It is time. Hoping I inch up closer to 30 when it stops running so rich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im pretty meticulous about recording fuel economy in my cars. My 02 solara 2az 5mt gets 32-35 when I take road trips in it, worst tank in the last years was 25 mpg but average across that whole time is about 29.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7/12/19
328.2 miles / 14.737 gallons (91 octane) = 22.27 mpg

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7/26/19
343.4 miles / 14.14 gallons (89 octane) = 24.28 mpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Consistently: A trip to NYC and back starting with a full tank of gas, 500 miles almost all highway (except for some stuck in traffic in NYC), takes 16.5 gallons, for 30MPG.

16.5 gallons is about the emptiest I've ever gotten the tank. I'm not saying there aren't 2 more gallons in there, because I've never run it empty, but that's where the fuel light comes on and the gas gauge is just imperceptibly above E.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to drive to Appleton to help my uncle move and ended up with a lot of back and forth between apartment and house which is about one mile from each other. Got back home and at half a tank did 259.5 miles. I tried to average about 80 mph which was roughly under 2500 rpm. Normally I would rather being doing 89 mph but then the engine will be at 3000 rpm and mostly wasting gas. It felt weird letting people pass... I don't like starting the next drive cycle with half a tank of gasoline so I will get her filled up again and post the results later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
7/28/19
272.1 miles / 9.48 gallons (89 octane) = 28.70 mpg

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,665 Posts
Averaging 29-31mpg with about 60/70% highway. If I’m doing 95% highway best I got was 33.5mpg. We don’t have a lot of highway here. Most longest stretch without traffic (assume is night) is probably 30-35 miles.

I do not drive light. Regularly keeping engine in gear to near redline and kicking up the revs throughout. It’s fun in a manual. It gets a workout. Cat is bad p0420. Currently at 212K miles. Consumes about 1.5QT to 2QT every 1.5-2K miles. Running stock oem size 17” alloys.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,690 Posts
Higher octane gas will not improve mpg. Well, maybe: by removing more cash from your wallet then perhaps the gross vehicle weight is lowered, thus increasing mpg!

Were I to consistently get less than 25 mpg I would be thinking of adjusting my driving habits. Even when I roll in a bunch of city short stop and start trips I still get around 25 overall, as the long stretches of highway runs helps. But I noted that slight habit adjustments of how far I tend to press the pedal down (while not even noting an increase in speed) can add 1-2 mpg. With my questionable CAT and O2 sensors I can still clock in 28 mpg on my daily drive to and from work.

Driving to work (about 45 miles):

Starting elevation: ~7,000 feet
Middle elevation - ~5,800 feet
Final elevation - ~ 7,300 feet

Flip that on the way home. As you can see there is a steep climb up out of a valley going both ways which lowers the average. If it was a straight shot I imagine I could get around 30 mpg.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I seem to get better mileage without 91 Octane (along with saving more money) but that was only two runs. Not a big surprise that I went to 89 Octane to compare (along with saving more money). I don't drive far and if I do a lot of it become hwy mileage so my MPG readings are not that accurate. Still... if the MPG readings can at least remain above 20mpg and semi-consistent I am happy. I drive with a sense of urgency so that would explain most of my mpg readings. 89mph at 3000rpm is a waste of gas compared to 80mph at 2400rpm. I prefer to have people let me pass than for me to let them pass :wink:. If anything, I may "reduce" my top speed to 85mph or 80mph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I seem to get better mileage without 91 Octane (along with saving more money) but that was only two runs. Not a big surprise that I went to 89 Octane to compare (along with saving more money). I don't drive far and if I do a lot of it become hwy mileage so my MPG readings are not that accurate. Still... if the MPG readings can at least remain above 20mpg and semi-consistent I am happy. I drive with a sense of urgency so that would explain most of my mpg readings. 89mph at 3000rpm is a waste of gas compared to 80mph at 2400rpm. I prefer to have people let me pass than for me to let them pass 😉. If anything, I may "reduce" my top speed to 85mph or 80mph.
Some gas stations have their top tier gasoline without ethanol added, ethanol is about 30% less energy dense than regular gasoline so that makes a difference in terms of fuel economy. Also for modern engines with knock sensors and such they basically keep trying to advance the timing until they detect a problem, the more aggressive timing allows the engine to get more power from the fuel that does get burned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is mine
2007 model. 87 octane I check mileage at almost every fill up.
Since purchase Jan 2018 average 26mpg
Since changing defective Catalytic converter beginning of July 2019 average 29mpg.
I have not noticed any difference in mileage using higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8/10/19
288.2 miles / 12.527 gallons (89 octane) = 23 mpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts