Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions.

I was going crazy trying to find this oil leak in my '02 Camry 2.4L 2AZ FE. It was dripping above my PS Pump.

I had my VVT solenoid replaced by a shop to stop it. It did not.

I replaced my Timing chain tensioner and gasket, (even a little edelbrock) while I replaced my PS pump. The PS Pump pulley failed and leaked so I had to replace it again. After I fixed the PS Leak with a new pump, still the same oil leak persisted from above the pump! Grrr

Went to tighten my Timing chain tensioner, couldn't get to the bolt. Tried to remove the bolt to the VVT solenoid, and it snapped!

I only had an impact power drill that would fit to extract the snapped bolt , but the intake manifold was in the way to square it off the center. So off that came too!

When I removed the " foam diaper" from below the manifold, I got showered with metal shavings and a nice view of the protruding cylinder shim spacer that was gleaming from between the head and the block! Also, I found the leak i so desperately sought.

So the oil leak is coming out between the engine block and the shim. I have a bottle of at205 worked into the oil and about to add another. Does anyone oppose adding gasket sealer on the outside to try to stop it?

All suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,284 Posts
Well, first, AT-205 is an active liquid that makes rubber seals swell and therefore seal better. In other words, it's a solvent that penetrates the rubber and causes it to expand. The blue thing isn't rubber, so you aren't like to see any changes to the oil leak. Any substance in the oil similar to a radiator seal, where particles* or water glass** are carried around the fluid in the system and clog areas where fluid escapes, would clog your oil return galleries and, likely, the small oil returns in the rod bearing caps. While you definitely would not have an oil leak thereafter, you also wouldn't have a workable engine.

I confess I'm not familiar with this engine, but I'm at a total loss as to why the brake master cylinder would be bolted to the head.

__
* Particles: bronze powder or (GM's favorite) ground walnut shells
** water glass: sodium silicate. Not much known about today, but it's a liquid that evaporates to make a glass-like, impenetrable covering. GM (again) used it to seal their many engine blocks that turned out to be porous.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,713 Posts
Well, first, AT-205 is an active liquid that makes rubber seals swell and therefore seal better. In other words, it's a solvent that penetrates the rubber and causes it to expand. The blue thing isn't rubber, so you aren't like to see any changes to the oil leak. Any substance in the oil similar to a radiator seal, where particles* or water glass** are carried around the fluid in the system and clog areas where fluid escapes, would clog your oil return galleries and, likely, the small oil returns in the rod bearing caps. While you definitely would not have an oil leak thereafter, you also wouldn't have a workable engine.

I confess I'm not familiar with this engine, but I'm at a total loss as to why the brake master cylinder would be bolted to the head.

__
** water glass: sodium silicate. Not much known about today, but it's a liquid that evaporates to make a glass-like, impenetrable covering. GM (again) used it to seal their many engine blocks that turned out to be porous.
I don't think it has anything to do with a master cylinder spacer or a shim spacer. We may well just be looking at the head gasket. Rather we ARE just looking at the head gasket.
This is a master cylinder.
Given that the engine is known for stripped headbolts and disappearing coolant, then I guess it is possible it could be leaking oil too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

__
Thanks. Very helpful. My thoughts is that there is some kind of rubber gasket sealant on the "blue gasket" and if anyone has ever seen this type of protrusion.:)

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,713 Posts
Thanks. Very helpful. My thoughts is that there is some kind of rubber gasket sealant on the "blue gasket" and if anyone has ever seen this type of protrusion.:)
If you look at the head gaskets from Rock Auto, one of the Fel-Pro's and likely other brands have that protrusion.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,853 Posts
Are you sure it's not a leak from the O-ring to the sensor on right (wicks around the head gasket seam), that goes in the hole just below your impact gun in the first photo? I assume that is a sensor hole(I'm more familiar with the 1AZ-FE).
You can always run a compression check to see if the head gasket is compromised. I would find it odd if the cylinders hold pressure, but the oil passage is leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it has anything to do with a master cylinder spacer or a shim spacer. We may well just be looking at the head gasket. Rather we ARE just looking at the head gasket.
This is a master cylinder.
Given that the engine is known for stripped headbolts and disappearing coolant, then I guess it is possible it could be leaking oil too.
Thanks. Just leaking oil. No coolant.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,853 Posts
Forgot to mention, the head gasket does stick out a fair amount on the backside.

This is on the 1AZ-FE, note the straight edge along the back:

Compared to the curvy edges of the block:

Yes, this was because of the stripped head bolt issue. The first photo shows where the head gasket went in the top-left.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My guess is that this had a stripped head bolt problem and someone used a Timesert or Huhn fix (hence the metal shavings from drilling the head bolt holes). The blue gasket is similar to the Fel Pro gaskets I've used when doing this fix. They do protrude out from under the head. These are a multi-layer steel gasket. If the head is torqued to spec and the head isn't warped it would seem unlikely that it's coming through the gasket. I like someone else's suggestion that it could be from another point up above and it's wicking along the head and block seam. The engine lays back a bit so anything leaking is going to run towards the backside.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,284 Posts
there is some kind of rubber gasket sealant on the "blue gasket"
Did you buy the car used or have you owned it from new? If you bought it used, it's possible that someone has already had the head off.

A non-standard and not approved way to handle some possible leakage is to use gasket sealer on the headgasket. However, if the head and the block are straight and true, sealant is NOT needed and NOT recommended. That said, some old-school mechanics do put sealant on headgaskets because that's what you had to do in the past on rebuilds -- meaning before 1980.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought it used and the previous owner definitely had the head off. Whoever worked on this before went crazy heavy on the gasket sealant around the timing chain cover so there might be a possibility that he used sealant on the head gasket. Going under to clean everything up and inspect for higher leaks.🤙

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is that this had a stripped head bolt problem and someone used a Timesert or Huhn fix (hence the metal shavings from drilling the head bolt holes). The blue gasket is similar to the Fel Pro gaskets I've used when doing this fix. They do protrude out from under the head. These are a multi-layer steel gasket. If the head is torqued to spec and the head isn't warped it would seem unlikely that it's coming through the gasket. I like someone else's suggestion that it could be from another point up above and it's wicking along the head and block seam. The engine lays back a bit so anything leaking is going to run towards the backside.
Thank you. I will let you know what I find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts