Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2011 Camry XLE in July of this year. Youtube has video of the 2GR-FE equipped Camrys doing 14s in the 1/4 mile. A couple of weeks ago I went to Fontana Autoclub and just missed it. I ran a 15.03 @ 93.2 mph during my 1st 1/4 mile run. I'm going to go Nov 19 once again to Fontana to see if I can run a high 14. Things I've done to my car since getting it with 80k miles include a KN air filter, air intake mod, changed spark plugs, use only 91 octane, change oil every 3k miles, coolant bypass for throttle body, turn off traction control at the track, took out spare tire, and that is it so far.

Is there any other easy thing I can do to the Camry? I have stock exhaust because it's my daily driver. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I am thinking about having the resonator taken out and if my car will pass smog take out the 3rd cat. Has anyone noticed any performance gains with just a resonator delete?

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered exhaust tubing from Jegs so I can delete the resonator. My brother said he will weld on the new piece. If the exhaust doesn't come in before Nov 19 I'll still go to Fontana to see if I can break into the 14s. I'm sure with the exhaust mod, I will be able to do a 14 sec 1/4 mile. I'll try to post updates for anyone wanting to take a stock 2GR-FE Camry and make it run a 14 at the track.

EDIT:

The only thing I've done after the 15.03 pass at Fontana is change all 6 spark plugs. Car is running strong at almost 90k miles. I'm hoping new spark plugs will be the factor that gets me into the 14s. Fontana next on Nov 19th here I come.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just got back from Fontana Autoclub and had a nice run. The Camry ran a 14.596 @ 95 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am very happy that my car can run mid 14s :) I think I could run a low 14 with enough practice at the track and maybe a catback exhuast. I'm not sure what I should do next mufflers or exhaust pipe after the cat.

Mods and Maintenance:
Air intake
3000 mile oil change interval
new plugs
KN air filter
coolant throttle body bypass
91 octane gas
Traction control off
removal of spare tire
3rd cat delete
OBDll wifi scanner to monitor coolant and underhood temperatures.

All of those things allowed me to run a mid 14. The 2GR-FE has more in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The latest mod I've done to the 2GR-FE Camry includes custom exhaust from the Y-pipe back to the mufflers. The Shop that did the work is in Long Beach, CA on Obispo and Artesia. The car is obviously louder and the midrange power has improved. Next time I go to Fontana I'm sure the car will run a better, faster time.

I just took a look at Fontana Autoclub race schedule and it shows Wednesday night drags, which I can't make, and January 27th for Test and Tune. Jan 27 is the day I should find out if my Camry can run a low 14 or maybe a really high 13. I'm hopeful :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got back from Fontana Autoclub and had a nice run. The Camry ran a 14.596 @ 95 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am very happy that my car can run mid 14s :) I think I could run a low 14 with enough practice at the track and maybe a catback exhuast. I'm not sure what I should do next mufflers or exhaust pipe after the cat.

Mods and Maintenance:
Air intake
3000 mile oil change interval
new plugs
KN air filter
coolant throttle body bypass
91 octane gas
Traction control off
removal of spare tire
3rd cat delete
OBDll wifi scanner to monitor coolant and underhood temperature
All of those things allowed me to run a mid 14. The 2GR-FE has more in it.

Hai 67Beast,

Just wondering what did you do to your intake? you mentioned an air intake mod.

Thank you

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Manzini,

I rerouted a couple of vacuum lines to keep a plastic valve open. That allows air to flow freely from the outside because without the mod the valve will close in the middle of the rpm band. I also have a K&N filter for better airflow.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
General "feel" of the Camry update. It was in the 80s today and the car was pedestrian; it lacked the aggressiveness I've come to know from the 2GR-FE. I was visiting my my folks and began my drive back home at around 9:30 p.m. As soon as I got on the freeway the car wanted to downshift for the slightest reason. I did just cruise back home, but the cool air of the night woke up my car. I hope the morning air in Fontana is still cool in about two more weeks. I'm thinking about upgrading tires if I have traction issues. That is the next thing on my mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I ran my car 3 times. First pass was my best of the day 14.41 @ 97.3 mph in the 1/4 mile. Second run I let off due to wheel hop and only did a 14.9. Last run of the day was a 14.6 @ 95 mph. The Camry loses traction easily if I try to wide open throttle (wot) off the line, so with better tires I think a low 14 is possible. I may end up getting better tires in the near future. We'll see.

At the end of the my best pass the other driver looked over in surprise. The other drive was in a newer Mustang GT and he had to stay in it until the end since I had a better 60ft than him. I gave him the thumbs up and drove off. I'm getting fast enough that other cars take notice :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Two things I want to address: traction and power.

Traction

I got a pair of 10 spoke wheels off Ebay for my '11 Camry; same style it has right now. I'm going to get a pair of performance tires to use mainly for the track. I ran a 14.4 with a soft launch, so I'm thinking that better tires will allow me to come closer to a 2.0 second 60 ft time. The tires the car has now are not able to put the power to the ground. Performance tires should allow for a better 60 ft time and 1/4 mile time overall. With improved traction I'll be able to showcase the 2GR-FE Camry in Socal. I already did make one driver take notice :D

Power

The 2GR-FE has enough power in its current state to get the car into the low 14s. The only expensive mod on the car right now is the custom exhaust. With the Torque App on my phone, I monitored the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and the 14.4 run the IAT was 87F and the other runs the IAT was 95F. I could feel a slight loss of power. I'm not sure how to keep the engine bay cooler, but I'm looking into it.

The exhaust along with the other minor mods means that even with a soft launch or wheel hop that the car is solidly in the 14s. All three of my runs were in the 14s including the run that I let off the gas because of wheel hop; time was 14.98 @ 95 mph.

Overall

The car is fun to drive and it's now a force to be reckoned with :D

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Taking the right steps to make a good run for sure, Your exhaust im curious as to why its y'd up so far, are you planing on a custom true dual exhaust later by chance?
I'm in California, so I really cant use headers. My thinking was to allow as much exhuast flow as possible and be smog legal. You are correct though that the idea came from visualizing true dual exhaust as you would find on many sports/muscle cars.

Each pipe is 2 inches so my guess is that the exhaust is as good as it gets without headers. I feel the car pull to the shift points, and it could pull to 6500 rpm if the ECU allowed it. I'm limited buy the ECU shift points and conservative tune.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Traction:

I just got a pair of BFs for traction purposes only. I got the pair at America's Tire in Norwalk. I should get much better traction with these ultra high performance Comp 2s whenever I go to the track. I should be able to improve my time with these :D

Attachments

·
Senior TN Member
7,508 Posts
With the Torque App on my phone, I monitored the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and the 14.4 run the IAT was 87F and the other runs the IAT was 95F. I could feel a slight loss of power. I'm not sure how to keep the engine bay cooler, but I'm looking into it.
Duct air-intake of airbox to outside. Corner just under bumper in front of wheels are typically a high-pressure cold-air point.

Or hood-scoop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duct air-intake of airbox to outside. Corner just under bumper in front of wheels are typically a high-pressure cold-air point.

Or hood-scoop.
I'll look into that, thanks. Any bit of advice is helpful. I'm trying to get every last bit of power out the 2GR-FE.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool thread. I've read the Y-down pipe adds about 15 hp and that is one of the biggest bottlenecks on the 2GR-FE from stock. I also read some people using the Lotus ECU. Do you have the ability to over-ride the stock shift points?

Can you post a video of how it sounds?

I'd like to hear about the wider tires, I have the stock 215 on my avalon and I think it limits the power and braking, I think 225s or maybe a bit wider would definitely improve the performance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool thread. I've read the Y-down pipe adds about 15 hp and that is one of the biggest bottlenecks on the 2GR-FE from stock. I also read some people using the Lotus ECU. Do you have the ability to over-ride the stock shift points?

I'd like to hear about the wider tires, I have the stock 215 on my avalon and I think it limits the power and braking, I think 225s or maybe a bit wider would definitely improve the performance.

I'm sure the Y-pipe adds hp because after I gutted the cat in the stock Y-pipe I finally ran a mid 14 second 1/4 mile; I was stuck at 15 seconds before that. I want to find a way to raise the stock shift points as my Camry usually shifts at 6000 rpm and almost never reaches 6200 rpm.

The 225 55 16 BF Sport Comp 2s brought my 60ft times to 2.20 and a 9.2 second 1/8 mile. I'm guessing I should be able to run a very low 14 second 1/4 at Fontana with the BFs.

Here is a video at Irwindale racetrack. Poor quality video but it gives you an idea of the sound without the 3rd cat and custom exhaust.

·
Wallet abuser
114 Posts

going wider will definitely help. but Going with a stickier tire will help more.. Get some nice sticky tires and traction becomes way less of an issue (but the tires don't last long at all)

·
Not-So-New TN User
5,565 Posts
Hey Beast, If you want to get lower times without spending any more money, you gotta lose weight. remove the rear seats when you go to the track and never have your fuel tank full (at most a half tank). Also, it's better to go single 2.5" exhaust (again to save weight) than to go double 2" if you're not going true dual with an X-pipe. Then again, it doesn't really matter if you don't go custom J-pipe (the pipe that joins the two headers. That's where you'll see the most gains. Pic attached as an example.

These guys are good.

Also go for low weight rims. 17"s with track tires.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Beast, If you want to get lower times without spending any more money, you gotta lose weight. remove the rear seats when you go to the track and never have your fuel tank full (at most a half tank). Also, it's better to go single 2.5" exhaust (again to save weight) than to go double 2" if you're not going true dual with an X-pipe. Then again, it doesn't really matter if you don't go custom J-pipe (the pipe that joins the two headers. That's where you'll see the most gains. Pic attached as an example.

These guys are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCio5K0WfHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVXvHkr-Vs

Also go for low weight rims. 17"s with track tires.

Good luck!

I've seen Engine Masters episodes as well. I've tried to take out the back seat, but I just can't seem to figure it out even using a pry bar. My best 60 ft time is 2.2 seconds and best 1/8 mile is 9.2 seconds. I'm going to Fontana soon so I expect I'll run a very low 14 with the BFs I have for traction. The BFs provide excellent traction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update on my progress:

I got a used throttle body off Ebay; it came from a 2008 Sienna. I did a slight port to smooth out the raised areas in the throttle body. My SOTP dyno isn't that sensitive and I cannot easily tell if there was any gain in power. The BFs are a huge improvement in traction and they did improve my 60 ft to a best of 2.204 that led to my best 1/8th mile of 9.20 seconds at Irwindale.

I installed a new MAF sensor due to the original MAF sensor giving extremely high temp readings that cut too much power when the ambient temp was in the low 70s. Car is once again running strong without a dramatic loss of power if the forecast calls for anything other than temps in the 50s or 60s.

I'm either going to Fontana Wednesday the 21st at night or Saturday March 3rd to try one more time for a low 14 or very high 13 second 1/4 mile. I've been traction limited up until now. With Ultra High Performance BFS I'm going to try to run consistent 2.2 60 ft times and if possible run a 2.1 or 2.0 60ft.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts